Thread: Re problems with Steaming - Oscar Coffee Machine

Re problems with Steaming - Oscar Coffee Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    I would like someones opinion on problems I have with steaming from time to time. *The machine is about 2 months old. I heat up machine for 30 minutes, draw shot, bleed steam wand. Sometimes after fully opening steam valve there is little or no steam or water coming out. So I leave it a couple of minutes and plenty of steam. I took it back to supplier(coffee snobs sponsor) and they said it was fixed - steam holes were blocked and they used a needle. Now this is ok and I did the same - I give it a good flush after steaming but cant understand why sometimes it seems to be no steam/ little water coming out and then waiting and it is ok.

Any ideas ??

My second query is how does one remove the steam tip *to give it a good clean- I cant get a spanner or wrench to grip and dont want to mark the tip too much .

Thanks

Re: Re problems with Steaming - Oscar Coffee Machine

The oscar is prone to getting vapour lock, and therefore not getting up to proper temperature. After heating it up, open the steam valve completely to release locked vapour, close valve and let warm up further. Normal use for me on first heating is - turn on, leave for 30 minutes, open steam valve let it blow clear for a minute, close steam valve and let warm up.

The oscar relies on a pressuer sensor for getting to the correct temperature, and cannot get up to proper temp until the vapor lock is removed. Ive always found it strange that nuova didnt spend an extra few dollars and add a vacuum breaker to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B6879616C6A090 link=1276482432/1#1 date=1276570221
    The oscar is prone to getting vapour lock, and therefore not getting up to proper temperature. After heating it up, open the steam valve completely to release locked vapour, close valve and let warm up further. Normal use for me on first heating is - turn on, leave for 30 minutes, open steam valve let it blow clear for a minute, close steam valve and let warm up.
    Thanks for that - I let machine warm up for 25/30 minutes but had opened up steam valve (not fully) after 10 minutes and then just for a few seconds - I will do as you say and open steam valve later and for the extended time as you suggest.

Thanks

Caffeine Junky

Yes I think its quite normal for the Oscar, happened to me this morning.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E7C676D6B7D7E7C6760696B7C0E0 link=1276482432/2#2 date=1276582854
    Quote Originally Posted by 7B6879616C6A090 link=1276482432/1#1 date=1276570221
    Thanks for that - I let machine warm up for 25/30 minutes but had opened up steam valve *(not fully) after 10 minutes and then just for a few seconds - I will do as you say and open steam valve later and for the extended time *as you suggest.

Thanks
    I thought I read some where that not all had Anti Vac valves fitted... As standard.. Would be teh first mod if ya ask me..

I thought I read some where that not all had Anti Vac valves fitted... As standard.. Would be the first mod if ya ask me..
    I thought NONE had anti vac valves fitted. One of the main failings of Oscar. Makes it imposible to run on a timer.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7D6E7F676A6C0F0 link=1276482432/5#5 date=1276590630
    I thought I read some where that not all had Anti Vac valves fitted... As standard.. Would be the first mod if ya ask me..
    I thought NONE had anti vac valves fitted. One of the main failings of Oscar. Makes it imposible to run on a timer.
    Been done a while ago... I found this when I was first looking to upgrade from teh EM6910..

A simple enough mod and cheep.... You should have it done by Saturday; please send pics...

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/putting-nuova-simonelli-oscar-on-timer-and-loud-pop-noise-at-turn-on-t6271.html#p75701

My Oscar died on sunday... :(

Will repair it after i get my Diadema...

I had seen that DIY vacbreaker but struggled to get the part here.

As soon as I turn mine on I open the steam valve and once it starts pouring out (after about 7-8 mins at a guess) I shut the valve and wait a few more minutes for the element light to turn off then its usually ready. In total I reckon it takes about 15-20 mins to heat up and Ive never had a problem with steam pressure. Obviously its best if you can give it half an hour or more to heat the group through properly but when youre in a hurry for the morning coffee before work its good enough.

Also about taking the tip off, I put a tea towel on the tip then undid it with a pair of pliers. It put a small mark on it but hardly noticable. I soldered up one of the holes to make it a three hole tip for better microfoam, best thing I ever did.

You only need to open the steam knob for a half second to bleed the pressure. This can be done about 10min after turning the machine on. After that you should really give the machine a good half hour to fully warm up. A vacuum breaker is a good mod for the Oscar. This allows you to put her on a timer and have it all ready to go when you wake up! I also fitted a cold water OPV to mine.

Steaming on the Oscar can be tricky as someone stated. Plugging a hole or two can really help by slowing things down. Using all 4 holes is possible but requires a different technique, its actually quite easy once you know it. For sinlge serving amounts of milk, hold the wand in the middle of the milk near he surface, angled slightly towards you. Turn on the steam and surf the top of the milk to create the "chu-chu-chu" noise for no more than a few seconds. After that, submerge the tip near the bottom of the milk in the same position and angle and continue steaming to the desired temp. A little tapping and swirling and youre good to go!