Thread: Silvia squirting water?

Silvia squirting water?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Need advice from other Silvia users
    I have noticed that Ms Silvia 2008 model is starting to squirt water thru the steam wand when i hit the brew switch (portafiller in place). The wand is obviously turned off but water( a good squirt) is being released. Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it not really a problem just something silvia does? Does it need a refit of some rings and washers for the wand? If so how easy r they to replace?
    Thanks Cicarda

KJM

Re: Silvia squirting water?

I havent dis-assembled mine to this extent, but Im pretty sure the problem is this:

The steam knob operates a needle valve made of brass. When it is hot (as in you are steaming) the brass expands a tad and when you shut it off, it stops. But then as it cools - the brass doth shrink and you get a reasonable squirt or dribble. To check that, you just need to nip the knob off a bit more when it happens. Stoppage implies this is the problem.

The other way of checking this is to steam and then turn her off and let her cool right down. Then turn her back on to warm up. A puddle under the steam wand is likely >:( Darn valve. Im 99% sure mine has gotten worse since I first had it, but I cant be sure.

/Kevin

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5E59140 link=1276517266/1#1 date=1276590509
    I havent dis-assembled mine to this extent, but Im pretty sure the problem is this:

The steam knob operates a needle valve made of brass. *When it is hot (as in you are steaming) the brass expands a tad and when you shut it off, it stops. *But then as it cools - the brass doth shrink and you get a reasonable squirt or dribble. *To check that, you just need to nip the knob off a bit more when it happens. *Stoppage implies this is the problem.

The other way of checking this is to steam and then turn her off and let her cool right down. *Then turn her back on to warm up. *A puddle under the steam wand is likely *>:( *Darn valve. *Im 99% sure mine has gotten worse since I first had it, but I cant be sure.

/Kevin
    There are two other ways ;)

1: Upgraditus ;D

or

2: The way we did it on steam systems in teh good old days of real POWER ;) Flick a switch... We had to burn coal / wood and any thing that would burn.. Gold fields in far NQ... My dad always laughed at town folk in good gear... Having to get of and cut wood for teh train so that it could continue...

Pressure and heat caused all sorts of problems.. But that never held a true eng back.. Flick me a PM and I will send a pic.. You can try and then pass on or keep to ya self ;)

Tis a needle type is it not ?

Site Sponsor

Hi all;

The Silvia steam valve has 2 steam seals and 1 tap seal, and as wear and tear occurs, sometimes this seals need to be replaced. *In this case, it looks like your tap need to be replaced.

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=213

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=212

I found this article which should help you to understand your machine a little better.

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html

Regards
    Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Looks as though there maybe a problem. Thanks to Renzo i will try and do a repair on the steam valve. Thanks for the link. The valve has always dribbled a little on warm up (as most Silvias do i think). My prob is when i start to brew a shot and not when i am steaming.
    I will try giving the steam knob *a last minute twist before i brew to see if it tightens up and reduces the problem. Will post and let you know what happens.
    AM will give u a PM
    Thanks Cicarda

Cant speak for most C however never experienced this problem with mine, my son in law also has a Silvia and has not had the issue. :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 23090301120401600 link=1276517266/4#4 date=1276682447
    Looks as though there maybe a problem. Thanks to Renzo i will try and do a repair on the steam valve. Thanks for the link. The valve has always dribbled a little on warm up (as most Silvias do i think). My prob is when i start to brew a shot and not when i am steaming.
    I will try giving the steam knob *a last minute twist before i brew to see if it tightens up and reduces the problem. Will post and let you know what happens.
    AM will give u a PM
    Thanks Cicarda
    Ok... the PM now makes sense....

I will be catching up with Renzo later and wil chat as to a trick I am aware of...

Having not seen teh tip of teh valve and teh seat etc close up... The trick may or may not work as intended..

1: System is off... All OK

2: System warms up a bit... Leak / dribble a bit...

The trick may not be ideal, but if it works great... If not... Err you may be up for a new stem ;)

A: In effect when you switch off... It may/will dribble a bit :-) then seal off....

Let me chat with others first..

The steam valve is very similar to a garden tap in that it used a flat rubber seal to shut off the flow.

Andrew. :)

AM - thanks for the help : just to clarify the steam wand has always leaked just a little on warm up (maybe 15mls) but then stops leaking after the machine is warm. This is typical of most silvias i think.

My "problem" occurs when i start to brew a shot.
    PF and basket locked in place
    Flick the brew switch then after a few seconds
    The first flow starts- It is at this point that a squirt of water and a few spits of water is pushed thru the steam wand as the shot first begins to pour. No more water or steam is released during the remainder of the shot

I figure this cant be good for losing or maintaining pressure throughout the shot

Just trying to find out if others have similar "problem"
    or i strip down the valve and replace washers rings etc. as suggested by others
    Thanks Cicarda

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0822282A392F2A4B0 link=1276517266/8#8 date=1276728035
    i strip down the valve and replace washers rings etc. as suggested by others
    This is teh first step...

KISS

Also means that any bit of scale or other things may be identified and you get to see the condition of the insides of a little bit of your machine.....

My approach is only for when every thing else fails..

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 4D676D6F7C6A6F0E0 link=1276517266/8#8 date=1276728035

My "problem" occurs when i start to brew a shot.
    PF and basket locked in place
    Flick the brew switch then after a few seconds
    The first flow starts- It is at this point that a squirt of water and a few spits of water is pushed thru the steam wand as the shot first begins to pour. No more water or steam is released during the remainder of the shot

Given that precise scenario - Id put money on the steam valve seal having a bit of a ding in it and once there is sufficient pressure from the pump, the leak stops. It could even be a bit-o-crud (aka coffee grounds!) that has gotten up into the sealing surface (which is functionally the same as a ding in the seal).

The instructions above cover the removal of the valve/wand. Looks like a 10minute job to inspect/fix.

Let us know. A piccy of the duff seal would be worth posting. There wouldnt necessarily be much damage visible though...

/Kevin

Gave the steam wand a last minute tighten up before pulling the shot and appears to have slowed the flow, just a few drips coming out now. Think i will still replace all the seals and washers and see if there is an effect. Will prob leave it till next hols in a few weeks. Thanks all for advice :) Will let u know if it makes a difference.

KJM

Yup - nipping it up causing the flow to stop/reduce is pretty definitive. The seal!

The O-rings shouldnt be the problem - they seal the movement of the wand.

Must do mine soon too ::)

/Kevin