Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6910 leaking around group. Advice needed from wise heads.

6910 leaking around group. Advice needed from wise heads.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

my apologies for the noob questions, I have searched the archives but didnt come across the info or more importantly the advice I am seeking.
    We bought a 6910 on mothers day so weve had it for just over a month and got a 480 grinder a week later. I was as happy as a dog with a tin willy.
    Last week I noticed the group would occasionally leak (more than dripping less than gushing) water during the extraction, and also noticed that the shot was no longer syrup like and lost richness of taste.
    I was adjusting the grind and the dose but still leaking. I made sure rim of gh was clean.
    I was suspecting the couple of times that I had overdosed and 2 times I had choked the machine due to too fine a grind may have backed the 6910 up with some grinds. So, last night I removed the shower screen as per manual to find it was fairly gummed up. I cleaned the machine using a cleaning tablet and rubber insert. I removed the shower screens and found they required further cleaning. I checked the blue seal, gave it a wipe and returned all parts to original positions. Gave it a run and still leaking.
    I was expecting the seal to be the problem (as per other previous posts I read) but it contained no splits :-?
    So, here I sit, in the corner, slowly rocking back and forth, and in need of some wisdom from the Yodas of coffee.
    Brent.

A_M

Re: 6910 leaking around group. Advice needed from wise heads.

Quote Originally Posted by 143A37353D0911393A32560 link=1276900278/0#0 date=1276900278
    I have searched the archives

Where are they ??

Do an advanced search and choose the key word with care..

Been done to death 1001 times..

In the first instance - blown collar..

1: If a new style unit.. Then some one has been overdosing to the MAX..

2: If ya not locking in correctly... It will leak..

What gauge reading are you getting ?

What is the position of ya group when locked in

What beans

Which basket... Single or double FLOOR ?

Have you done teh Sunbeam training ???

Thanks AM for your quick response.

We were overdosing early on(thanks to instructional video), but thanks to this fantabulous site, did the 5cent test and corrected that.

gh Normally locks in at between 6 & 7 oclock. Tried more force to between 5 & 6, but leaking still remains.

Using single floors with Fiefys blend. Best coffee Ive ever used/tasted.
    Gauge reading is normal with single basket and low (below yellow section) on double basket.

I havent done the Sunbeam training yet, although I have been getting very good results in the cup until this issue arose.

Brent

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 103E3331390D153D3E36520 link=1276900278/2#2 date=1276902394
    Gauge reading is normal with single basket and low (below yellow section) on double basket.

No ... Read my WORDS... Not what you think I wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by 133C3537201F333C3335373F373C26520 link=1276900278/1#1 date=1276901426
    Which basket... Single or double FLOOR ?
    Say again... Are you using Single or Double floor basket

Stepped or Sloped lugs on teh group ?

If leaking at 5 - 6 (Blown seal or it is not in correctly)

Check your group collar. Can you feel a lip or burr where it has worn? Does you group handle move to the left when the pump is running? If so could be a worn collar.

My 6910 is only 2.2 years old and it is in the repairers for its third group collar. I took out an extended warranty so have cover until April 2011.

single basket needle is at 11 oclock
    double basket needle is at 9 oclock

usually I would get 12 oclock with either basket.

Say again... Are you using Single or Double floor basket
    Im using the single floor standard baskets with fresh ground Fiefys blend.

Stepped or Sloped lugs on the group ?
    Group has sloped lugs. Machine purchased new 5 weeks ago if that helps.

I appreciate the input AM, I know it must be frustrating to be advising this stuff over and over to noobs like me.

When I removed and cleaned the shower screens I checked the seal. Is there a definite/obvious tear or fracture that would be present if the seal was blown, as there was no sign of failure when I looked.

PM sent

Sounds like youre doing everything right, but just as a sanity check:

Where exactly is the leak coming from? The spout (where it screws onto the PF) has been known to be a source of leakage. With all the steam and spray it can be difficult to tell exactly where the water is emanating from. Just make sure it is in fact from the seal.

If definitely from the seal, then the physics is fairly simple:

- make sure the shower screens are very clean and make sure they are correctly seated back into the seal (I fit mine into the seal before puting the seal back into the GH).

- make sure the seal / shower screen assembly is correctly fitted back into the GH. In particular, make sure you have thoroughly wiped out any trace of grinds etc from inside the GH where the seal sits, and that the seal itself is clean.

- carefully check that the entire assembly is seated correctly. It can be tricky to do this, so if in doubt, pull the seal out and start again. When youre happy youve done the best job that you can do, replace the screw and tighten securely.

Now go back to basics. Try a slightly coarser grind and under-dose a little. Make sure the top of the filter is clean, and of course the lugs, before inserting into the GH. Do not overly tighten the PF. 6 oclock, maybe 5:30 should be enough on a new machine. Over tightening sometimes makes the leak worse. Firm, but not crazy tight.

Watch this extraction very carefully. Still leaking?

If so - Sunbeam / service time. Youve done all you can.

One last thing to check. Is your release valve working? In other words, when the extraction finishes, it there a "hiss" and release of water into the drip tray? This is important.

Let us know how you get on.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5D737E7C74405870737B1F0 link=1276900278/5#5 date=1276918180
    single basket needle is at 11 oclock
    double basket needle is at 9 oclock

usually I would get 12 oclock with either basket.

Say again... *Are you using Single or Double floor basket
    Im using the single floor standard baskets with fresh ground Fiefys blend.

Stepped or Sloped lugs on the group ?
    Group has sloped lugs. Machine purchased new 5 weeks ago if that helps.

I appreciate the input AM, I know it must be frustrating to be advising this stuff over and over to noobs like me.

When I removed and cleaned the shower screens I checked the seal. Is there a definite/obvious tear or fracture that would be present if the seal was blown, as there was no sign of failure when I looked.
    1: Single @ 11 and double @ 9 ... Does not compute...

If same grind and tamp... Would expect the other way round..

2: With a dual floor basket and no coffee, run a couple of manual shots; what does the gauge read and are you getting any leaks then..

3: As to split in seal etc... If it is you will see it.. But people do put in teh wrong way.. However that means the problem happens afterwards not before.

What Grinder - Make and model..

And

What Beans - from where and how fresh ?

Quote Originally Posted by 527A7E71655D7A7E71651F0 link=1276900278/4#4 date=1276916791
    My 6910 is only 2.2 years old and it is in the repairers for its third group collar.
    Would not be advertising that one does not know how to use a coffee machine... Only way to blow them - is to miss use/ miss treat ::)

In addition I trust you dont tamp or polish teh puck... Because if your over dosing... There is no need to to... Just fill till over flowing and lock in.. No difference :-X

Single 11, double 9 - apart from being a little on the low side, this makes sense to me Mark (ie, the single is easier to choke in my experience). Im curious to know why you think it should be the opposite. Please enlighten knowledgeable one ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 636F666665655F686F6D627265000 link=1276900278/9#9 date=1276941943
    Single 11, double 9 - apart from being a little on the low side, this makes sense to me Mark (ie, the single is easier to choke in my experience). Im curious to know why you think it should be the opposite. Please enlighten knowledgeable one *;) *
    Stated ASSUMPTIONS... *Same grind and same tamp used for single and double...

Single is not as deep so will allow the water to get to the other side a bit quicker (not so far to travel) and also very open to channelling ...

Thus when using singles; one usually has to manage the Tamp and Grind much better, as not so forgiving... Opps = Gusher *;D

Grind finer / Tamp harder etc etc... A balancing act. *

PS... Your post was good... *So many un knowns.. *

But a blown collar in a couple 0f months with the new lugs ??? *Either forearms like Arny on Super roids or some additional info/data is not available / yet to be provided...

I mean I did my lug mod to a system with a worn collar before x-mas and at least 4 different people abuse it and one security guard loves to make hot *milk chock and thinks he wips the steam wand... Er the wand has a back and if ya not careful or dont purge afterwards.. The nozzle blocks.. *

We are thinking of a clever way to trap him... *Epsom salts in the water... Would make an interesting steam *;D *

*** *Problem is flushing afterwards and knowing ya got it all out *;D

So, why would a worn system with a peened out collar and at least 4 abusive users last longer than a new system.. *I have an as new system here and much better than what I ever had...

Interesting. My experience with same grind same tamp is the reverse. I find It much easier to choke the single, and my theory is that it is because it has less holes on the bottom. But, there are so many variables not the least of which is the coffee itself. I think I have a tendency to tamp on the heavy side too, and the single is less forgiving.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 767A737370704A7D7A78776770150 link=1276900278/11#11 date=1276961514
    Interesting. My experience with same grind same tamp is the reverse. I find It much easier to choke the single, and my theory is that it is because it has less holes on the bottom. But, there are so many variables not the least of which is the coffee itself. I think I have a tendency to tamp on the heavy side too, and the single is less forgiving. *
    Then again... Assumptions on my part... Only ever used a double... Singles in other stystems and that could also explain what you and I see.

With a dual floor basket and no coffee, run a couple of manual shots; what does the gauge read and are you getting any leaks then..
    AM, I used the dual floor double shot basket with no coffee and water leaked / gushed with more freedom than single floor basket with tamped coffee. I did it twice as you suggested. 1st time Pressure gauge was slow to respond but reached approx 8 oclock. 2nd time pressure gauge responded one line from starting position. And water pissing out around the handle.

Is your release valve working? In other words, when the extraction finishes, it there a "hiss" and release of water into the drip tray? This is important.

Not so much a hiss after I pull a shot but there is a release (dripping water) into the drip tray via the release in the rear below the tray.

My grinder is a Sunbeam EM480, I am using Fiefys Blend beans from CS that are 3-4 weeks old.

I am far from an experienced tech but when I compare the pics of worn collars on this site to my machine, mine look new. Even the gh has only the slightest of scratches where it lock in.
    Thanks to all the good info Ive read on this site I made sure that we (wife an I) didnt get "Arny" on the gh. ;D

The 2 things that stump me are, why is this happening when the machine is practically new, and why does the seal have no splits when this clearly seems to be the offending area. :(

thanks once again for your help and input guys.
    Brent

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 09272A2820140C24272F4B0 link=1276900278/13#13 date=1276994917
    AM, I used the dual floor double shot basket with no coffee and water leaked / gushed with more freedom than single floor basket with tamped coffee. I did it twice as you suggested. 1st time Pressure gauge was slow to respond but reached approx 8 oclock. 2nd time pressure gauge responded one line from starting position. And water pissing out around the handle.
    CH and others wil tell you that this is not normal..

The gauge is either stuffed and or you have a issue with teh machine..

1: Did not think teh collar would be dead... But the symptoms point that way..

2: Do a backflush with teh rubber blind as per teh manual.. do not need a cleaning tab...

If leaking / spitting and gauge does not reach at least 11:00

I would be returning... Err contacting Sumbean ASAP.

My ph number is available by pm..

But give Sunbeam a go... Sounds like a machine problem...

AM is spot on.

Sounds like things have gone from bad to worse. Water spraying everywhere when running the unit WITHOUT coffee in the basket and its time to find a Sunbeam service agent - particularly if youre confident that youve cleaned and re-mounted the seal and shower screen correctly.

Black Gold- Have you used the cleaning tool to poke through the tiny single hole in the dual floor baskets! My single shot dual floor was poorly manufactured and mostly blocked out of the box!! I used a pin to open it up before the tool would even come close to going in the hole.

I can relate to black golds problems... but not as bad in my case. *I purchased my 6910 about 1 month ago and started with the dual floor baskets as I had some crap (supermarket) coffee to use up and I thought would be good to practice with. *

I had some fairly good results, but experienced some minor leaks as I pushed for longer/slower extractions. I wasnt concerned as I see the dual floors as "coffee with training wheels" anyway. I also had read not to crank the portafilter handle too tight, so thought this was a reason as to the slight leakage. *

I ran a few empty (ie water) double cup, dual floor basket shots to establish my "sweet spot" on the gauge. It was at 12 oclock. No leaks by the way.

I progressed to making "real" coffee with the single floor baskets, grinding up some Mocopan beans with my Saeco mac-001 grinder set to around 1. *My experience mirrored Coffee Hombre. I found the single gave more resistance. *

Since I was paranoid about going Schwarzeneger ?spelling? on the group head I have never been past 6 oclock (I actually thought it stopped there!) *As Ive tried for honey extraction, I got some minor leakage, but worse than that, once the pf handle undid itself with the vibration of the machine during a shot!! *Unfortunately I thought I was at the stage of texturing milk concurrently with the shot when this happened. (part of the reason I didnt notice the handle migrating left!)

All I can say is that it is amazing how much milk you can blast across your kitchen at full steam!!! *:o *:(

So do you think I may just not be tightening the handle enough?

Am I correct to assume that you dont need to hold your machine down to tighten the handle? * Like if you are dragging the machine are you cranking it too tight?

My seal seems to be getting better, possibly due to improved grind/tamp, but Im yet to get to my sweet spot. Im wary of another handle blow off... Do they have to be worn in a bit?

BTW- *The handle has tried to unwind a few time since and I have been carefully monitioring the gauge. *I havent been choking the machine, it has just made it to the sweet spot (maybe a fraction past once). *

Hi guys, i also had the same issues when i first bought my 6910, the group handle un twisting and the leaking. and after reading the posts on this forum i was terrified to push the group handle past 6oclock.
    after much trial and error i find the handle locks in nice at around 5- 5:30 and my sweet spot on the gauge is more around the 1-2 oclock range.
    i hope this helps. i have since had 7 months of trouble free coffee and the group handle is still in the same position.
    Good luck

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3130222C550 link=1276900278/16#16 date=1277042493
    Black Gold- Have you used the cleaning tool to poke through the tiny single hole in the dual floor baskets! My single shot dual floor was poorly manufactured and mostly blocked out of the box!! I used a pin to open it up before the tool would even come close to going in the hole.
    If you opened it up then bin it...

It is a specific size and has a steep screw pitch...

Any change to that an bin it...

Am I correct to assume that you dont need to hold your machine down to tighten the handle? * Like if you are dragging the machine are you cranking it too tight?
    Depends.. Words say one thing Actions say another..

If done correctly.. You should only use teh same force as to lock in an EMPTY group and basket..

2 + 2 = 5 Thus as the seal gets old OR the group wears a bit; you may need to move more to teh right..

With the new style lugs... A longer time and only slight additional movements..

If you leaning on teh machine with one hand/forearm (full body weight) and locking in with the other and biceps are bulging and busting the stitching in teh t-shirt.. Have seen it done...

Your over doing it; regardless of what training you go by some Expert... AND how much ya paid for teh training...

My seal seems to be getting better, possibly due to improved grind/tamp, but Im yet to get to my sweet spot. Im wary of another handle blow off... Do they have to be worn in a bit?
    Yes and NO.. It will be due to your Beans / Grind and TAMP...

I get get a perfect hit after one or two shots... On a new machine..

If I know my beans...

Use only a non modified double floor basket to test for teh sweet spot...

BTW- *The handle has tried to unwind a few time since and I have been carefully monitioring the gauge. *I havent been choking the machine, it has just made it to the sweet spot (maybe a fraction past once). *
    Choked... And or not locked in correctly..

6:00 is a GUIDE... If ya did a 6:00 on the EM69AMB you would not even seal at all ;D

A seal is at about 4:00 or 5:00 at the best....

Coffee is not by numbers... If an empty system locks and fees firm at between 5 and 6 then GREAT...

Q1: If you put coffee in, tamp and lock and its feeling tight before 6 and ya having to use some weight... What would be teh problem ???

A1:

PS..

After testing on a number of machines and about 6 different gauges... AND with independent witnesses etc I am happy to say with some conference, that with a clean, standard double floor (pressurised basket) from a EM69XX series that the Sweet spot your seeing on teh gauge is = 10.2 ~ 10.4 bar ..

Now before you race off and toss a tanty about a 15bar pump only giving 10.2 or why 10.2 and not 9bar... Do some research and check to see what some of teh prosumer systems are set for and why...

Once again thanks for the advice and input guys, especially AM.

Starting to feel human again after a couple of coffees this morning from the work machine. :)

Still wiping the tears from my eyes picturing Dewys kitchen blasted with a lovely layer of microfoam. ;)

After following the advice I called Sunbeam this morning and thought you guys (especially you AM) might find this interesting. :-?

I spoke with the lovely Debbie who advised she has owned a 6910 for 4 years and uses the work one. She was adamant that I was not locking the handle any where near enough and it should be going to at least 5 oclock. She advised that when I lock the group handle in I should brace the machine by placing my left hand on top of the machine and use all my force on the handle as far as it will go to the right. :o I know I know, I was thinking the same thing. ::)

She also advised me to change my grind from 15 to 20 on my em480, even tho I told her I had done the dual layer basket with no coffee and it still leaked. *:-?

So after those pearls of wisdom I went and got another coffee and have ordered a new seal (local $19) which I will replace myself and see where we are.

Hmmmm.....

You say you noticed the leaks "last week". This implies that you were making coffees successfully prior to this time. Something has changed. I doubt you suddenly lost all ability to feel the correct amount of PF lock.

If your existing seal is buggered, it will be obvious. No microscope required. By all means fit a new one, but I for one will be interested to know if this cures the issue.

Good luck.

PS - refer to replies above for tips on re-fitting the new seal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 133D30323A0E163E3D35510 link=1276900278/19#19 date=1277085046
    I spoke with the lovely Debbie who advised she has owned a 6910 for 4 years and uses the work one. She was adamant that I was not locking the handle any where near enough and it should be going to at least 5 oclock. She advised that when I lock the group handle in I should brace the machine by placing my left hand on top of the machine and use all my force on the handle as far as it will go to the right. I know I know, I was thinking the same thing.

Black and GOLD..

That was GOLD.... Can I have permission to Quote and provide a copy of to local Sunbeam Service Agents here...

They would have a fit.. As Other users have said teh same and teh service people here are getting FED UP.. I will let them take it up the Ladder...

I might even get a Browne point or two.. If they look the other way... I get to raid their trash bin...

Broken grinders and other goodies...

Shame ya not around teh corner.. Or another well versed CS with many years of EM69xx experience is not close by; as I would like to understand what is going ON...

quote edited for brevity

Quote Originally Posted by 0A24292B23170F27242C480 link=1276900278/19#19 date=1277085046
    I called Sunbeam and the lovely Debbie was adamant that I was not locking the handle any where near enough and it should be going to at least 5 oclock and locking the group handle in, I should brace the machine by placing my left hand on top of the machine and use all my force on the handle as far as it will go to the right.
    Shes an amateur Black Gold. *Dont let her timid techniques mislead you as to the true brute force required to get a god shot out of the beamer. *

As AM will attest, those in the know (when calling Sunbeam) will not press 1 for customer service or 2 for warranty registration but 11. *It not advertised, you wont hear the option. *Like a trapdoor to a secret Super Mario level, you just have to know its there. *11..... because 10 is just not enough. *

Press 11 and wait for Sunbeam Black Ops department who will sell you:
    a). A set of stirrups
    b). A TIG welder; and
    c). A chopped group handle. *Its not the the bottom thats chopped by the way, its the handle. *Cos it needs to be short enough that you can pull it past 7 oclock, past 6, past 5 and get it round the back to...yes, you guessed it.....11 oclock.

Good luck, best wishes and may god shots rain down upon you like manna from heaven.

:D

Ive just got back to work after a change of pants. I pissed myself after reading Epics post.

AM feel free to use and quote. By the sounds of it we should perhaps get the Sunbeam helpline staff around to your place for a seminar or two.

Will let you know how the new seal goes tonight.

Picking up some Espresso Wow beans in a few minutes. Hopefully I will be able to use them. :-/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 08262B2921150D25262E4A0 link=1276900278/23#23 date=1277102787
    Ive just got back to work after a change of pants. I pissed myself after reading Epics post.

AM feel free to use and quote. By the sounds of it we should perhaps get the Sunbeam helpline staff around to your place for a seminar or two.

Will let you know how the new seal goes tonight.

Picking up some Espresso Wow beans in a few minutes. Hopefully I will be able to use them. :-/
    Ya he get me every time too... Problem is he is almost correct... The problem is that the special codes are only known to Chinese hackers ;)

Black Gold.. Do not let the old seal go..

1: If still leaking and you notice on close inspection... It appears more from teh rear of teh group...

2: Gauge is also bouncy... Low... Ie just getting up and not across to 11 or even 1..

PM me... I know the problem... And teh fix...

CH... you do to; but you dont know what you dont know ;D :D ;) 8-) ::) :o :P

Epic... Ya care to write a blurb on any other help desk places... Cause ya coffee one needs to be bottled and sealed.. And do you know why.. Because some preach it already and even try to get others to follow..

GTG... BBL

(If I getting a PM then = WARRANTY... But you will need guidance...)

Guidance.

Damn those invisible cockroaches !

;D

A_M

Calling Black and Gold...

Waiting for a confirmation / further feedback as to what you found..

CoffeeHouse wants AM to be WRONG [s]again[/s] for once *;D.......... *

Sorry for the lag AM, I missed picking up my beans last night so I couldnt test new seal with coffee. :(

I tried the dual layer basket and it didnt leak (only had gh to 6 oclock tho ::)), so leaning toward seal at the moment, but will let you know after I test it properly tonight.

If it is the seal I might send you the original seal as a present, as I still cant see a flaw in it. :-?

Brent

AM, machine still leaks and yes is at rear of group. Sometimes just a few drops and sometimes a constant dribble.

Ground up fresh beans from Andy tonight and not as much leakage as previous seal but still leakage with double & single basket. :(

Gauge seems to be ok tho, in that it is steady and goes to 12 - 1 oclock.

Man it is so frustrating. Maybe I should just try to return it and try and get a better machine of evilbay :-/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 406E6361695D456D6E66020 link=1276900278/28#28 date=1277209478
    AM, machine still leaks and yes is at rear of group. Sometimes just a few drops and sometimes a constant dribble.

Ground up fresh beans from Andy tonight and not as much leakage as previous seal but still leakage with double & single basket. *:(

Gauge seems to be ok tho, in that it is steady and goes to 12 - 1 oclock.

Man it is so frustrating. Maybe I should just try to return it and try and get a better machine of evilbay :-/
    WARRANTY.. Manufacturers Warranty...

It is a cracked junction due to either materials and or a person with a strong arm..

Thus depending on how hot / cold it is the problem will be so so or BAD..

PS... Gut feel is that it is a batch issue... Do not ask.....

CH has worked on teh same line; so he is aware, sort of...

The line from the T that goes to the gauge and teh dump solenoid also is connected to the head... Where it physical joins the head; it has failed due to materials and or when being tightened..

NOTE: Others ON CS have cracked and broken fittings as people forget just how brittle some of these things are. Casting in particular can be quite strong but a flex in the wrong direction and "Crack".

Quote Originally Posted by 406E6361695D456D6E66020 link=1276900278/28#28 date=1277209478
    get a better machine of evilbay
    Na... Unless ya know your stuff and very handy... That auction house has no warranty etc...

The new Sunbeams are much improved in most areas... But it does not mean they are fool proof..

Warning Barista at work:

Yep... Sunbeam and Della Corte have both engaged " TOP CLASS " Baristas (????) to give teh machines an edge..

The usual marketing and PR hype that does few any good......

The average Home user has no understanding and nor the patience and or skills of a Barista ???

They really need a Brain storming session with a few people...

CS member or two, Service Agent or two, White-goods sales person and half a dozen people out of homes with no experience / understanding.....

Firstly, thanks for the answers AM. *You truly are a wealth of knowledge on the 6910 and Im sure all of the apprentice 6910 baristas appreciate your posts on here as much as I do. *

Also, ta to Black Gold for letting me in on this convo. *I hope your warranty claim went well. *Im glad you enjoyed my coffee explosion story. *I had tears in my eyes too... *well, nearly. *It was bloody funny.

Quote Originally Posted by 0B242D2F38072B242B2D2F272F243E4A0 link=1276900278/18#18 date=1277079524

If you opened it up then bin it...

It is a specific size and has a steep screw pitch...

Any change to that an bin it... *
    I may have phrased that wrong. *My single dual floor basket seemed to act as a blank when I tried to do a sweet spot test with it. Hardly any water coming through it.

I tried to poke the cleaning tool in the hole and it seemed blocked. I used a needle to see if there was any hole at all. *The cleaning tool then finally snapped through and is still a snug fit.

I get the same sweet spot using either of the pressurised baskets. *I may have damaged it, but never plan on using it again anyway. *The bins probably the best spot for it!!

For the record, I seem to have solved my leakage issues. *It was a combination of slight overdosing and being a pussy when twisting the handle on.... *Meow! *I go just past 6 oclock now.

One other thing I notced, is when using the same dose/grind but only tamping very lightly.... *meow! again, the machine would nearly choke and leak. *If I did everything the same but tamped harder, so the puck was at the correct height ie just clear of the shower screen (re-did the 5cent test) the shot would pull correctly.

Its hard to make yourself tamp firmer when you are nearly choking the machine.

I have found I now need to go one notch finer grind aswell as the firmer tamp now I have the correct puck height (dose/tamp). So go back and check that 5cent test if youre having some choke/leaks. Just thought that this may help some people.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0607151B620 link=1276900278/30#30 date=1277361522
    Its hard to make yourself tamp firmer when you are nearly choking the machine.

I have found I now need to go one notch finer grind aswell as the firmer tamp now I have the correct puck height (dose/tamp).

So go back and check that 5cent test if youre having some choke/leaks.

Just thought that this may help some people.
    Great feedback... But I will leave it to you to spout the truth...

One other thing I notced, is when using the same dose/grind but only tamping very lightly.... *meow! again, the machine would nearly choke and leak.

*If I did everything the same but tamped harder, so the puck was at the correct height ie just clear of the shower screen (re-did the 5cent test) the shot would pull correctly.
    AND

It was a combination of slight overdosing and being a pussy when twisting the handle on.... *Meow! *I go just past 6 oclock now.

Well done..

See the numbers are a Guide... But the shot will be affected by how you use them or not... 2 + 2 = 5 :D

The reason for the choking is that when the puck is forced onto teh shower screen your applying another tamp and at a lot higher forces and leaving no room to expand..

Damm... Now ya converted... Next thing you will need to go off and be saved ;)

PS. The same process applies to all commercial machines; so it is not a skill, that is not transferable..

Quote Originally Posted by 6D424B495E614D424D4B49414942582C0 link=1276900278/31#31 date=1277362861
    Well done..
    I owe it all to you Sensei! * ;)

... its a great feeling when the penny drops! Finally some steps in the right direction... now I realise theres so much to learn.

I shall practice some more tomorrow Sensei. * 8-)

PS. Any news on the warranty Black Gold?

Youll now have to pop up to AMs place and paint his fence.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5E627F646E6F786D656E0A0 link=1276900278/33#33 date=1277423626
    How did you know it needs painting... :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6F534E555F5E495C545F3B0 link=1276900278/33#33 date=1277423626
    How bout wax his car?

...wax on ... wax off.. ;D

Ive had a similar thing happening recently. No change to good coffees that I have been making with my 6910 for about 7 months. About 2 weeks ago, started getting some dripping at the back of the GH. Thought "hmm, a bit early for a seal break - oh well. Bought a new one. The old one looks fine. Replaced it - still leaking. Its clean, and Ive not changed anything else...

Interesting read here. Thanks all involved. Looks like I should take my machine in...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1828243F3F32217A7A4B0 link=1276900278/36#36 date=1277828078
    Ive had a similar thing happening recently. No change to good coffees that I have been making with my 6910 for about 7 months. About 2 weeks ago, started getting some dripping at the back of the GH. Thought "hmm, a bit early for a seal break - oh well. Bought a new one. The old one looks fine. Replaced it - still leaking. Its clean, and Ive not changed anything else...

Interesting read here. Thanks all involved. Looks like I should take my machine in...
    Depending on use... 6 months can be a good time to replace...

You should be inspecting at your usual 2 or 3 month head cleaning / chemical backflush and when you pull the shower screens out ?

Let us know what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by 09272A2820140C24272F4B0 link=1276900278/28#28 date=1277209478
    B & G - So what has been teh progress ?

Current status is awaiting opportunity to take machine to service agent in Melbourne for warranty repair. :(

Will let you know what they find, if I can find that out. ;)

I did ANOTHER good hea clean yesterday and paid extra special attention to wiping around the head with the shower screen off. Then I actually put the old (still looking intact) seal in... Wah-laa! Seems to not be leaking. Hope it holds up :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C424F4D45716941424A2E0 link=1276900278/38#38 date=1277962274
    Current status is awaiting opportunity to take machine to service agent in Melbourne for warranty repair. * :(

Will let you know what they find, if I can find that out. ;)
    And the out come was ???

DONT USE

And the out come was ???

fractured pipework

of cause

I hope I can resurrect this thread. I need more help!!

After continual small leaking, I took my machine to the Sunbeam service centre in Adelaide. Of course it sat on the bench waiting for three weeks and when they finally looked at it they could not find a problem!!!

I have been told that they put a stopper in the basket and it did not leak at all. I picked it up, took it home and guess what... It still freaking leaks!!!

I have no idea what to do?!? Could it be a fault with the basket Im using? It is just the standard, single floor, double sized basket.

I dont understand why it will leak when I use it, but when it is tested with maximal pressure it does not?!

Please help

Ring Sunbeam first.
    Tell them what happened.
    Tell them you are taking it back.
    Take it back and demand to show the tech that it leaks or that he show you it doesnt (immediately not in 3 more weeks).

All this is dependent on you using the same handle and basket to show the tech the leak.
    If hes using a different one to test it then that variable should point to the fault.

P.S. Is this an Authorised 6910 repairer?

Its an authorised repairer. I think my wife will take it back this week, with our coffee, our handle and our leak! Ill tell her to not leave til they look at it. Such a pain in the ass. The service centre is not close to us at all!

Is it still under warranty Scotty? They used to arrange a courier for you...

Yes it is... no one has mentioned a courier. Although at this stage I think its better to take it in personally so they can witness the foot-stomping!

Quote Originally Posted by 52626E7575786B3030010 link=1276900278/46#46 date=1285724671
    so they can witness the foot-stomping!
    Yep, that [and the "Im not moving till this is resolved" glare] tends increase their attention to your issue..........good luck

Steve

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7C4C405B5B56451E1E2F0 link=1276900278/42#42 date=1285717528
    I have been told that they put a stopper in the basket and it did not leak at all. I picked it up, took it home and guess what... It still freaking leaks!!!

I have no idea what to do?!? Could it be a fault with the basket Im using? It is just the standard, single floor, double sized basket.
    Could be your method..

1: Use the double floor basket... The one with teh single small hole.

NO COFFEE GRINDS - USE IT EMPTY.

2: lock it in and let us know what position teh handle is in..

3: Advise us as to what teh gauge reads

4: You should have no leaks.... But a small flow of water that could resemble a flow of coffee.

Report back to here ASAP....

Group handle locked WITH LOTS OF FORCE at about 5 Oclock

Pressure gauge into the gold.

No leak.

It will leak if I lock it a little less forceful at 5:30

Perhaps I just needed to REALLY lock it in hard?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast