Thread: Yikes! Have I hurt Silvia?

Yikes! Have I hurt Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Good morning all,

Although its actually not so good for me...

Woke up to a loud noise this morning and ignored it thinking it was coming from a neighbour. When I finally got out of bed I realised it was coming from Silvia.

The sound was the sound of the pump struggling with an empty boiler/tank. I had left Silvia on timer to heat up for my morning coffee and it seems Id manage to hit the brew switch before I went to bed as well.

Thankfully I managed to refill the boiler (it took a bit of coaxing with the inlet hose) and Silvia now seems to be working normally. But Im concerned Ive probably done some damage to the boiler element and possibly the pump as well.

I dont know for sure, but the machine could have been on for 30 minutes without an empty boiler and the pump intermittently struggling away. For some reason the pump seemed to turn itself off for a few minutes at a time... Dont know why that was.

Thankfully, Silvia is working, for now at least. But can anyone tell me how much damage Ive probably done?

Concerned Squirrel :(

Re: Yikes! Have I hurt Silvia?

Sounds like Silvia has an auto-reset thermal safety breaker on the pump. I know of one USA reseller who sells a thermal fuse of that sort that can be installed on any vibratory pump. Sounds like it did its job. Did the thermal safety thermostat on the boiler trip? Thats a long time to run empty, but if the boiler safety didnt trip then you are probably OK.

This is a good lesson, and yet another reminder, that using a timer on a machine that does not have low water shut off nor auto-fill can be a costly undertaking if due care is not taken.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7977736E7279681C0 link=1277242479/0#0 date=1277242479
    But can anyone tell me how much damage Ive probably done?
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 4E7D727865435B321C0 link=1277242479/1#1 date=1277243778
    Thats a long time to run empty, but if the boiler safety didnt trip then you are probably OK.
    Maybe...

It is a hard call with seeing / being able to measure some bits and pieces....

May be OK for now...

A week or two down the track ya boiler element goes.. Smile and say... I knew it had to happen... *

Elements and other bits do not always fail at the exact time of the problem.. *Hrs days or a week or two OR the next bit of an electrical /mechanical shock... poof, done and dusted *- out to lunch so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E7D727865435B321C0 link=1277242479/1#1 date=1277243778
    This is a good lesson, and yet another reminder, that using a timer on a machine that does not have low water shut off nor auto-fill can be a costly undertaking if due care is not taken
    KISS...

Unless your palate is super sensitive or youre running machine that takes > 45min to even get a head of steam.... Then timers to me; are more of a *problem and just additional Bling / peer scoring points, when it all works. *When it stuff up = $$$$

A slight change to routine and or *a few min less in bed and its a no hassle solution.. Cheep and very cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 07343B312C0A127B550 link=1277242479/1#1 date=1277243778
    This is a good lesson, and yet another reminder, that using a timer on a machine that does not have low water shut off nor auto-fill can be a costly undertaking if due care is not taken.
    Lucky for me my Expobar has a low water cutout because, as Ive mentioned before, I once left the lever up after cleaning and in the morning she emptied herself.
    Lucky also the drip tray has a 2 litre capacity because only a "little" water over flowed onto the bench.
    Hey, if I can, anyone can make a mistake. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 143B32302718343B34323038303B21550 link=1277242479/2#2 date=1277247232
    Unless your palate is super sensitive or youre running machine that takes > 45min to even get a head of steam.... Then timers to me; are more of aproblem and just additional Bling / peer scoring points, when it all works.
    Personal choice AM.
    I like my timer (despite the one incident above) and my extra sleep time.

Its all about the process and keeping it the same (KISS).

Guess Ill just have to be philosophical about this and wait to see what happens...

... and cry big time if it fails down the track ...

... and then after an appropriate grieving period start looking at upgrades! ;D