Thread: Rancilio Lucy Advice

Rancilio Lucy Advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys I am looking for a few tips.
    I have just taken a big gamble and bought a Rancilio Lucy for $400 off a much hated auction site. I am not totally sure of the condition of the machine and i think from communication with the owner it has been in storage for a while.
    Is there a general consensus as to whether i should get it looked over prior to plugging in/usage is there anything special i need to do to prime the boiler etc. or should i just bring it home/plug it in and go for it.
    I was wondering if the inbuilt boiler is the same quality as a rocky???
    I was also wondering if i should bother with add ons like tampers/different baskets at this stage or just play around with it and get used to it first.
    Thanks in advance for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Ash

Re: Rancilio Lucy Advice

i would make sure you give it a good clean, consider a descale and a good check over. remove shower screen for a look (is it clean)

before turning on, make sure you know how the filling of the boiler works !!!!

to prime the boiler,
    fill tank at back / side /
    open steam wand
    turn on
    ASAP (right away!!!) run water via "make coffee switch"
    when water flows out steam wand it has a full boiler
    let it heat up

turn it back off quickly if anything seems wrong

you will need a tamper of some sort, preferably a 58 mm reasonable fit and fresh beans.

i think its a rocky grinder inside ? best nto to fill the hopper of the grinder as the heat will ruin your beans. just put enough in for the coffee our making at the time.

nice pickup, i saw it listed and thought someone would snap it up...

I bought one with the same circumstances. Here is what I did to mine. The boiler was completely full of scale. Nearly everything you read about a Silvia or Rocky applies to the LUCY.

Andrew. :)

A_M

If a pickup; you have some option to refuse and not pay with a feedback of Product not as described... IF it was implied that it was fully working..

A dead element and any saving is out the door..

Quote Originally Posted by 46544F1511270 link=1277344467/0#0 date=1277344467
    off a much hated auction site
    Not sure if that is the correct term (Hated) as many who might not like it referenced in full with active links, also use it..

The issue is; that CS like many others, do not get redirect fees so why support them...

Secondly; Buyer beware - CS can not be held responsible even for what is sold off this site.... (And 1 post does or a spam of nothing posts - does not give me much confidence in teh seller either).

Personally I think teh Auction sites are GREAT... It is the behaviour of some users and rip off merchant that are the issue... But the Auction site can not be blamed or held 100% accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by 484A5E171712270 link=1277344467/2#2 date=1277416848
    Nearly everything you read about a Silvia or Rocky applies to the LUCY.
    True and thus teh buyer need to be aware and accept teh outcomes..

Sorry - didnt mean to offend. I was joking more around the fact that i would have far more trust buying an item off a fellow CS member rather than a total unknown off Ebay (which i have done in the past with great results). I dont blame the site and understand the risk i am taking hence seeking advice from the incredibly experienced people that graciously give their time to help others like myself via this site. Once again sorry if I offended - it was not my intention and I thank everyone involved for administering this site.

dont worry about it Ash, some forums are ok with e.... others dont like it mentioned or linked to etc

have you got it yet? is it working?

no one cares where you got it and it was your risk buying it......
    we all want the same thing here

GREAT COFFEE !! thats the important thing

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2C3E257F7B4D0 link=1277344467/4#4 date=1277457323
    Sorry - didnt mean to offend. *
    YA did not offend..... I just dont think it deserves the often hurtful names it gets *:)

But many get very touchy as to many Auction places and some forums get the url / name of the auction place auto edited by the system..

PS... Do an advances search on CS, as the following is very true and lots of info around.... Randy G and others also have great info on other web pages as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2220347D7D784D0 link=1277344467/2#2 date=1277416848
    Nearly everything you read about a Silvia or Rocky applies to the LUCY.

If you dont know how... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1257241858

PS... Some of the best reading can be found here - http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html

Just read the lot but start with COFFEE COLLEGE bottom right...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B575E53535A360 link=1277344467/1#1 date=1277344879
    .......before turning on, make sure you know how the filling of the boiler works !!!!

to prime the boiler,
    fill tank at back / side /
    open steam wand
    turn on
    ASAP (right away!!!) run water via "make coffee switch"
    when water flows out steam wand it has a full boiler
    let it heat up

turn it back off quickly if anything seems wrong....
    I wonder if this is the machine I warned about where the vendor was advertising it as a commercial machine that sold new for $2000.00 (which it is/was NEITHER)?

No matter.

Ash take a look at the quote from Leeham (maheel). *If Lucy is identical (cant remember...you dont see too many) to Silvia, only one thing to change....there should be a toggle switch for "water"...from memory it has wavy lines on it(?), between the coffee and steam buttons. Use that switch instead of the "make coffee" button. Dont stop flowing water until it is a steady and hard stream. When you have a steady and hard stream of water flowing from the steam PIPE, switch off the "water" toggle switch and close the steam knob. DO NOT overtighten it...close just enough to stop the flow.

Forget about scale and everything else....First up, dont do anything other than try and see if it works. Which is to switch on and prime the boiler as described above.

Once primed up as described, see if it goes to operating temperature. Then hit the "make coffee" toggle and see if it pumps through the group ok.

If it does, then switch on the steam toggle switch (bottom one?) and wait & see if it goes to steam temperature. Give it atleast a minute, open the steam knob, and see if it at first spits a very aggressive stream of WET steam, which will whittle itself down to a less aggressive, quiet dry steam.

If it has done that, then all the normal functions of the coffee machine section are fully operational.

In which case congratulations instead of commisserations, and carry on old chap!

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first Cs site sponsor.

Hi Ash26, just wondering how you went with the Lucy?