Thread: PID or not and where from

PID or not and where from

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Looking at upgrading to a Silvia, rocky combo and have forgotten which sponsor was offering silvia with the PID mod with warranty. I understand it gives you controll over the water temp for extraction but does it also bring the temp donw faster after steaming milk for when you make more than 2 cups? Is the PID really worth it?
    Cheers Phill

A_M

Re: PID or not and where from

Quote Originally Posted by 744C4D48465D151D1C15240 link=1277350521/0#0 date=1277350521
    I understand it gives you controll over the water temp for extraction but does it also bring the temp donw faster after steaming milk for when you make more than 2 cups?
    Not sure if any of teh system have a cooling functions yet ;D

But at least your asking the right sort of questions...

Some will state is is a significant improvement over teh issue of having to manually temp surfing..

Others may not be so positive....

( CS mod and wire in a couple of pelter units in addition to teh PID )

Opps... HX or dual boiler option...

Just start looking at the Costs and functionality of teh different systems and then make teh call...

PS. They all make coffee ;D Its teh user that will stuff it up ;D

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6159585D534800080900310 link=1277350521/0#0 date=1277350521
    Looking at upgrading to a Silvia, rocky combo and have forgotten which sponsor was offering silvia with the PID mod with warranty.
    We do, here.

Quote Originally Posted by 6159585D534800080900310 link=1277350521/0#0 date=1277350521
    I understand it gives you controll over the water temp for extraction but does it also bring the temp donw faster after steaming milk for when you make more than 2 cups?
    Not actively. You still have to activate the pump to get cool water into the boiler to cool things down. But the temperature readout feature of the PID makes it clear when the temperature is back to where you want it.

Is the PID really worth it?
    Cheers Phill
    You will probably get some resounding Yess and some Nos on this one. But if you do decide to do it, go for the extra steam control option - having consistent, strong(er) steam is a nice feature.

Happy to go into more detail if you need it.

charlie

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6F5756535D460E06070E3F0 link=1277350521/0#0 date=1277350521
    Hi all,
    Looking at upgrading to a Silvia, rocky combo and have forgotten which sponsor was offering silvia with the PID mod with warranty. I understand it gives you controll over the water temp for extraction but does it also bring the temp donw faster after steaming milk for when you make more than 2 cups? Is the PID really worth it?
    Cheers Phill
    Hi Phil,

We were the first sponsor to offer a PIDkits fitted Silvia.

My current thoughts on Silvia are at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/8#8 and we have dropped it from our website and range as a result.

Our pricing was based on our Silvia price + PID fitting fee for a PID purchased from PIDkits and then supplied to us by the purchaser (lower duty/GST solution). The issue is that a e-61 single boiler machine can be very accurately set with a Scace device and costs little more than a PID fitted Silvia. I think the e-61 route provides a great solution with much lower depreciation on the entire purchase price.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the reply,
    The ones at Jet Black, do you do it with the grinder package also? If so what is the extra cost ontop of the grinder combo pack you offer?
    Phill

Not worth the expense of what is a good simple tough machine if that makes sense that will still make a good shot without the PID and some care. As Chris said above for a little more you can get into an entry level HX and save a heap of time if you are making a few in a row.

Currently Silvia and PID $1290

Entry Level HX in an NS Oscar at $1280 not perfect either but it is a HX

Just checked the price from Tonino on the Oscar $12800 ;D may have slipped a 0 I think

I do need a grinder also as all i have is a modified brevile burr. The I really dont want to go over $1300. I didnt realise PIDs were so much extra. swaying towards silvia and rocky (no PID :) ) unless there is a better combo for the same price :-/. I can temp surf if i have to. will just have to get used to it i guess. I really only make 2 at a time unless there is visitors but I use double shot in each cup.
    Phill

Thanks beanflying

There was 1 to many zeros there

Have adjusted the pricing to $1250