Thread: Convenience and Options in One Machine?

Convenience and Options in One Machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I am hoping to buy a coffee machine soon but am torn in what to choose. I would like to get something that makes good coffee quickly and easy without too much work, maintenance or complexity, but at the same time I would like to be able to practice at making coffee with a proper machine and the utilise the various options one has available to improve or experiment with. I would probably one be making coffee for myself, or sometimes for a couple of others (but rarely).

I know this is a big ask, but if it can be done, I would be interested to know what options are available. I note that the Nespresso range of machines fulfill the first criteria in offering consistent coffee quickly with no mess/cleaning afterwards, however you can only use the coffees they offer and there is no skill involved.

Is the only way to get the best of both worlds perhaps to have two machines - a small Nespresso and something else?

Thanks for your help.
    Grae.

Re: Convenience and Options in One Machine?

Hi Grae
    Welcome to CS !
    Nespresso is instant coffee out of a machine (of sorts).
    I guess it comes down to what you term "good coffee" and "quickly"
    Some of the sponsors here can supply super auto machines that also grind the beans and have auto maintenance programmed in to them, this may well suits your needs, depending on budget.
    Good coffee even fantastic coffee can be had by an entry level E61 machine and a good grinder to match or even the Sunbeam cafe series espresso machine and grinder can produce great coffee in the right hands. But to be honest they all require plenty of practice and patience and depending on what you term "quick" may not be quick enough for you.

You also need to tell us your price range or budget as this will trim down the options we can advise on.

Good luck !

Chris

Tough question.

Time - Most machines really need 25-30 minutes from turn on to making coffee regardless of type or brand to come fully up to temperature. Minor exception to this is the Pavoni Levers that are 13-14 minutes, but as to simple and easy they are out maybe.

Simple & Easy - most machines become that way over time with practice of good technique but some are tougher than others.

Grinder - you didnt mention it but you need a good grinder as preground just doesnt cut it for making good espresso.

Pod Machines - Dont do it, buy a good grinder and break out the plunger and you will make better coffee with good beans ;)

Without an idea of your actual budget ($500 to $1500) for a machine and grinder its a bit hard to give you a recommendation but the Lelit/Nemox combo machine is a good one.

You also didnt say what kind of coffee youll be making for yourself.
    Espresso, long black, flat white....?

Quote Originally Posted by 497C6F6B0E0 link=1277572934/0#0 date=1277572934
    I know this is a big ask, but if it can be done, I would be interested to know what options are available. I note that the Nespresso range of machines fulfill the first criteria in offering consistent coffee quickly with no mess/cleaning afterwards,
    Thats what you think ?
    In actual fact It requires a lot of cleaning

The cheapest and cleanest coffee apparatus is a Brikki used for Greek/Turkish coffee

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 63474E4E4D4D7763475B4547280 link=1277572934/4#4 date=1277610043
    The cheapest and cleanest coffee apparatus is a Brikki used for Greek/Turkish coffee
    Or a mug and a jar of instant, long black = heaped teaspoon in mug of hot H2O, ristretto = 2 heaped teaspoons in 30 ml of HW. ;)