Thread: La Pavoni lever advice needed

La Pavoni lever advice needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Im hoping someone a little more cluey than me can advise on a problem Im having with my La Pav Europiccola.

My issues is regarding opening the gasket to let water in when the lever is initially raised to the most open position. I dont remember this previously being a problem however in recent times Ive had to really push the lever up as far as it will go in order to hear the gasket release any water. I now have to push up with the lever while pulling down on the pf handle to keep it steady.

Is anyone aware of the internal workings of these things and able to point me in the right direction please? Ive been to all the usual sites for la pav help however none have advice for such an issue, and for the first time ever, google has let me down...

Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best,
    Matthew

Re: La Pavoni lever advice needed

Which model do you have pre or post 2000? If it is post 2000 you may have a problem with the plastic liner having moved or even cracked?

In case you havnt got them, a couple of the best how to fix and maintain sites :)
    http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm
    http://www.pavoniexpress.com/

Hi Beanflying,

Thanks for your reply. Those sites were my first point of call however no help, and somehow googles let me down - theres no mention of this anywhere. Its now to the point that no water comes through the group when raised, I can make some come out if I hold the base and force the lever up towards the heavens... but that feels wrong.

Anyone with a La Pav had this trouble, any thoughts? Beanflying, are you able to elaborate on your reply please, I dont understand what youve mentioned. This is post 2000 model, 51mm basket.

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 55796C6C707D6F475D6A717B180 link=1278238864/2#2 date=1279588639
    This is post 2000 model, 51mm basket.

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew
    If this has the plastic piston it may have unscrewed itself to the end of the thread...can happen.

Same version I have and I would be pointing the finger firmly at the plastic sleeve being the problem. Have a read here for a start http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/397771 and maybe try searching google for "Pavoni plastic sleeve problems". I think the best thing to do straight away is to drop the group off and have a look before most likely needing to order a new sleeve and doing the other seals while you are at it.

good luck :)

Although most likely the plastic sleeve problem, heres another thought if it isnt:

Have you removed the lever handle at all? It must go on the right way, if it goes on upside down the lever travel doesnt push the piston up far enough to open the valve. Its a long shot as you probably would have noticed the difference in position if this was the cause and gone back to fix it...but something to look out for whenever you do take the lever handle off.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies - after my post today I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it all and put it back together. I dont think the lever was on incorrectly, as you said Pavboy youd notice that, but something beautiful happened and water poured out of the group... and I drank great shots once again!

I have no idea what it was, it wasnt too dirty in there, the lever was on the right way and nothing obvious at all. The one good side to this all was it brought the aeropress back into the mix which is a good thing.

More aeropress!!!

Thanks for your help with this,
    Matthew

Strange must have just needed a little internal examination ;D