Thread: Problem with a brand new SB EM6910

Problem with a brand new SB EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Mates,

2 months ago, I bought a brand new Sunbeam EM6910 from Sydney Just one day before I moved permanently to Dubai, So I didnt have the chance to use it. But I been using the same brand at work for more than 2 years and I really liked it and liked its performance and the fact that no one is doing a regular repair to it at work and still working fine

I decided just now to open the box and try it, I experienced the same problem as the one in this post:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1141096916

the first time I run it the water didnt come through and the machine was making noise, I tried then to use the steamer it took a while till it worked fine.. then i pressed the manual button again and the water finally started to come out but with little amount.

Because I was using this machine for 2 years I knew something is wrong and the water should come faster and more. I then decided to try having some espresso it might be purring the right amount, But I was right, the coffee was dropping hardly and it took long time to have a double shot.

I then used the milk steamer and worked excellent and the coffee was awesome BUT I felt it shouldnt perform this way. the machine became very hot and I switched it off. then I did some search and I found this awesome forum and I read the post in the above link. As "Fresh_Coffee" advised in that post to wait till it calm down and become cold and I tried the next day again and also today but same thing is happening

The annoying fact is its hard to return it now to the supplier as Im in Dubai and it will cost me a lot to ship it back. and we have no Dealer for sunbeam here in Dubai

What do you think guys !? what should I do !?

I can capture the noise + the water dropping + and the coffee dropping process as well in a video and upload it so you can watch what i mean

Really appreciate your assistance as Im really disappointed :( !!

P.S Sorry for my poor english writing skills

A_M

Re: Problem with a brand new SB EM6910

Quote Originally Posted by 7B7B704B4C57230 link=1278673616/0#0 date=1278673616
    the first time I run it the water didnt come through and the machine was making noise,
    Reseat the water tank.. And make sure it is seated correctly and that teh Filter is in correctly.

DO NOT USE THE STEAM YET... You will only make things worse..

1: Test using the HW option....

2; Then Manual (No Group yet) and

3: Then Hot water again

It can take some time for teh bubbles to get out of teh system

If ya can get a good water flow from the HW and Group... Do a couple of shots of plain water (NO COFFEE) using teh double floor basket... The one with only one little hole when ya hold it to teh light.

Then see where it comes to on teh gauge and keep that as a base to always come back to..

Then try ya steam and then make a coffee..

If NO go after step 3: Detail what your finding... As the HW and Group are a different path to teh Steam..

PPS. Never run teh steam for more than 90sec in one hit..

Thanks for your quick respond

Here what I did:

1- I reseat the water tank and it seams seated correctly with the filter ( although Im not sure how the filter should be seated!)

2- Run the Hot Water and then Manual

you can see the amount of water flow in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXn5R4_fF_I

The sound and the water flow makes me feel that there is something wrong !!

and then

I put the group with the double floor basket and 1 hole and here is the results in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCia7x4_C1E

and after a while when I took the group head off, the basket was half filled with water !

How Hot the machine should come when you just switch it ON and how hot should it come after you run it couple of times !?

When I touch the left side of the machine (where I reckon the motor is) it is really hot.

Knowing that before when i tried first time after opening the box I did exactly what you told me, I mean i reseated the water tank and when I realised that the water doesnt come out I first used the HW and when the water started to come a bit and worked fine I used the steamer

I didnt understand this part ((Then see where it comes to on the gauge and keep that as a base to always come back to..)) ???

Thanks for your help again :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 50505B60677C080 link=1278673616/2#2 date=1278683151
    2- Run the Hot Water and then Manual

you can see the amount of water flow in this video
    1:Not the best... Maybe a bit cold as well.

I put the group with the double floor basket and 1 hole and here is the results in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCia7x4_C1E

and after a while when I took the group head off, the basket was half filled with water !

Looks about right...
    How Hot the machine should come when you just switch it ON and how hot should it come after you run it couple of times !?
    Hot but not hot... The goup will warm up and after about 15 min be ready for coffee..

Read the manual... Read it again, Watch the Sunbeam video and then read all the posts here as to how to use the EM6910.

When I touch the left side of the machine (where I reckon the motor is) it is really hot.

No motor at all.. That is the Steam Thermoblock.. >100c when running as usual..

I thought you said you had used one of these machines before ???

Every thing I see so far is as expected ?

I didnt understand this part ((Then see where it comes to on the gauge and keep that as a base to always come back to..)) ???
    The gauge was at about 10 to 11 on the gauge... *That is a base reading for ya machine, as to how its performing wrt pressure etc. *When ya pull a shot.. *Then no greater that a bit above where you go in that test... Lets say 12:00.

It sounds like you have only had very min experience with an EM6910..

Read about Overdosing Vs Updosing Vs 5 cent piece test

The about the sweet spot and how to clean and look after the machine..

PS. Read the manual again and make sure you default the settings and then maybe go 5C plus on the steam.

Best of luck... .

PS. What made you think coffee was a simple thing ???

Ill start from your last question :)

My colleague at work taught me how to do a proper cafe latte and cappuccino with this machine, I only needed 2 weeks to be pro and to reach a level that I prefer having my own made coffee than buying it from a proper coffee shop !! and thats all what I needed, I didnt care about how to take care of the machine and how to do the measurements or anything else.. Just choosing the right coffee, pouring it up, steaming the milk to have a silky shape and a normal after use machine clean and thats it !!.. thats why it was simple thing for me :-?

but now when the machine is mine so I will need to learn every single thing about it ! :-[

going back the issue..

because I used the machine for so long at work, i can notice the difference in the amount of water that comes from the head .. and when I did my first shot 2 days ago, the coffee was hardly dropping and as I said it took long time to have a proper double shot espresso !

The difference could be becoz the one at work been used for long time and too many users are there !! but what I see in the Sunbeam video is exactly what I used to see the machine doing at work !!..

Anyway, Ill try to do more than 3 proper caffe late tomorrow at the same time and Ill see what happens, I will capture the coffee dropping also to see if its normal !

For now, I will do what you asked me and read more about the product

one last question: Where I can find the cleaning tablet? it come with the machine !? I only found the the cleaning desk !!

Thanks mate for your help :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 01010A31362D590 link=1278673616/4#4 date=1278707190
    I only needed 2 weeks to be pro
    Geez, I have been at it for 25+ years and Im still working on it ::)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 69362E383338343D3D3E3E363A355B0 link=1278673616/5#5 date=1278713974
    Geez, I have been at it for 25+ years and Im still working on it
    Many have been longer and still not there yet ;)

I made a coffee this morning and my WIFE just stood up and dumped it in the sink... Had to admit it was crap :-[

She made one and it was great... Only change... She did not tamp, but just let the weight of teh tamper do the work.. (Grind is a bit fine - Beans are still fresh > was my excuse :-X )
    Quote Originally Posted by 03030833342F5B0 link=1278673616/4#4 date=1278707190
    My colleague at work taught me how to do a proper cafe latte and cappuccino with this machine
    See one, do one, teach one... Does not make a great teacher.. Ya mate may or may not have been 100% correct. But unless they taught you all about the beans / freshness / grind / water temp etc...

They all you got taught was how to press a button.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03030833342F5B0 link=1278673616/4#4 date=1278707190
    because I used the machine for so long at work, i can notice the difference in the amount of water that comes from the head .. and when I did my first shot 2 days ago, the coffee was hardly dropping and as I said it took long time to have a proper double shot espresso !
    That says... Too fine and or over tamped and or overdosed.

Rule of thumb... Management of Beans..

green R OK 4 3 Yeas

Roasted R OK 4 3 Weeks

Ground R OK 4 3 Minutes

Keep reading and trying and after 4 attempts a day for 6 months I might consider you out of nappies and into trainer pants (As to knowledge and experience as to a Low end, general consumer machine)

NOTE - HOMEWORK :o

1: What beans are you using
    2: Where from and roasted when ?
    3: What grinder
    4: What basket - Double / Single and Dual or single floor
    5: What does teh puck look like when ya finished - Pic
    6: What does it look like when you break it in half - Pic
    7: How heavy are you tamping
    8: What does the gauge go to when ya pouring a shot... (How much above the spot you got when doing the SP test for me)
    9: How much more have you read..

Exam will be done in 3 days time.. Live and on Air ;)

Keep trying, you will get there one day :)

Both videos look normal to me.
    The 6910 IS noisy.

I suggest the next video you make shows you grinding, dosing and making a coffee.

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

AngerManagement, are you on the Sunbeam payroll ? :)

All I see on these messageboards is people having problems with these machines and you seem be the only one who ever stands up for them!

Me on the other hand, while I am gracious that you bought mine of me as spare parts, I will do everything I can to urge people to NOT BUY these machines.

I believe that if we all got together thered be enough of us to launch some sort of class action against Sunbeam for ripping us off and wasting out time and efforts re the em6910. But then again, who has the time?

AM, good on you for sticking up for a machine that you are passionate about, but I say avoid it like the plague!

Quote Originally Posted by 6378796E2F27252F170 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    AngerManagement, are you on the Sunbeam payroll ?
    He should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 6378796E2F27252F170 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    I will do everything I can to urge people to NOT BUY these machines.
    I wouldnt go quite that far.
    I do believe that Sunbeams attitude has changed from the early days of this machine, I warned that it would and have been proven correct.

Rather than put more money into quality they have probably decided its too late and now take a hardnosed approach and blame the user for everything.

As a machine for a beginner with a limited budget, to learn about better coffee, I think its OK provided they go in with their eyes open knowing it wont last forever.

However, if they can afford better Id not recommend the cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F736E757F7E697C747F1B0 link=1278673616/9#9 date=1278734969
    knowing it wont last forever.
    Somewhere between a day and three years seems about right. ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 574C4D5A1B13111B230 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    All I see on these messageboards is people having problems with these machines and you seem be the only one who ever stands up for them!
    As with many forums etc... And human nature... Ya only hear from many when its broke... The other *thousands of users are happy or do not know any better :(

Goes for any product..... Any where and Any time.

Quote Originally Posted by 574C4D5A1B13111B230 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    AM, good on you for sticking up for a machine that you are passionate about, but I say avoid it like the plague!
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 774B564D474651444C47230 link=1278673616/9#9 date=1278734969
    s a machine for a beginner with a limited budget, to learn about better coffee, I think its OK provided they go in with their eyes open knowing it wont last forever.

However, if they can afford better Id not recommend the cheaper option.
    Thus I will support the person who is trying to learn and to at least get some enjoyment from their purchase, using their hard earnt *money.... Be it on advice of others or just the way thing happened... They have a machine... They need to know how to get the best from it / the raw product.

Would I recommend a EM6910 to just any one... NO... *Would I recommend a Silvia to just any one NO. * The two of them fil a special nitch but are as bad as each other (FIGHT Coming).

Would I recommend a Volvo to just any one... NO *(unless they wear a HAT all the time).

With any luck their next purchase; will be more suited to their needs that they now have identified and the product will be able to deliver teh goods.

Fit for Purpose and Context.

Now; wait till the review comes out on the Shuttle *:o

1: Electrical = One of the better units I have seen - from a safety point
    2: Make a Coffee = Sure Can *8-)
    3: Built like a Brick Sh1t House = Not
    4: Super grade SS and hand polished by elves = NO
    5: Got some rough bits about her = Yep

Not sure of the $$$, but if it at the bottom end, then *a true contender as a entry HX and would be my pick any day; over a EM6910 or Silvia *;)

But always remember...

Its about what in the cup and better to have a educated CSér using a more manual system; than a very expensive Super AUTO *:-X

PS...

Quote Originally Posted by 774B564D474651444C47230 link=1278673616/7#7 date=1278733667
    Both videos look normal to me.
    The 6910 IS noisy.

I suggest the next video you make shows you grinding, dosing and making a coffee.
    Yes please... *More Home work *;)

Quote Originally Posted by 065941575C575B5252515159555A340 link=1278673616/5#5 date=1278713974
    Geez, I have been at it for 25+ years and Im still working on it
    I meant a pro to a level that I can satisfy my taste only ;)

to be honest, I was getting it right 2 times out of 5 ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1278673616/6#6 date=1278721722
    That says... Too fine and or over tamped and or overdosed.
    You are right, the coffee is too fine, tamping and dosing were as per the instruction in the video

I actually dont have a grinder. I decided to purchase Sumatras Extra Bold beans from Starbucks as it was the closest one from my work, I like drinking a strong coffee. And I asked them to grind it for an espresso machine!

I will definitely buy a grinder after reading your Rule of Thump ;)

The answer for your other questions are as follows:

4: What basket - Double / Single and Dual or single floor
    Double and Single floor

I like the dual floor and that what I used to use at work, but because the coffee drops were hardly coming out I thought dual floor will block the flow and will increase the pressure. Am I right !?

5: What does the puck look like when ya finished - Pic
    Dry, Ill take a picture next time a do a shot in the weekend as Im always in a hurry early morning :P

6: What does it look like when you break it in half - Pic
    havent tried.. Ill post a picture next time a do

7: How heavy are you tamping
    about 10-15 Kg of even force

8: What does the gauge go to when ya pouring a shot... (How much above the spot you got when doing the SP test for me)
    its about 14, between the brown area and the red area, as I said it is because of the coffee is too fine

9: How much more have you read..
    less than enough :P but I saw the video again and read the product manual

I need to dig more in this forum ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 405B5A4D0C04060C340 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    I will do everything I can to urge people to NOT BUY these machines.
    Frankly, I bought it because I used it at work it was producing a good quality coffee comparing to what I sometimes drink from some coffee shops. and although it is used by 20+ employees every day, it never failed and I never saw someone maintaining it !

anyway, thanks all, and will complete my remained homework when I have time :)

Quote Originally Posted by 53535863647F0B0 link=1278673616/12#12 date=1279019528
    4: What basket - Double / Singleand Dual or single floor
    Double and Single floor

I like the dual floor and that what I used to use at work, but because the coffee drops were hardly coming out I thought dual floor will block the flow and will increase the pressure. Am I right !?
    Ill answer this bit at least.

When you say "Double and Single floor", I hope you mean the double (shot basket) WITH the single floor. *This is what you need to use with coffee that has been ground for espresso (ie. finely)

The dual floor baskets are for people who buy supermarket coffee which is ground relatively coarsely (and is stale out of the packet by the way!). *The dual floor creates more back pressure allowing the water from the grouphead time to extract enough flavour from the coffee.

If you use finely (espresso) ground coffee with the dual floor baskets you will surely choke the machine. *

Another 10-30 hours of research on this forum and you may qualify for D grade amateur barista! :P* Im about C grade because I actually have a grinder!*:D I know you said it flippantly but I think you will quickly realise that pro status is a long way away.

Good luck in your journey to coffee nirvana my friend!

PS. Make sure you do some research before buying a grinder and buy the best you can afford. *It is the foundation to great coffee.

I meant double (shot basket) WITH the single floor

Quote Originally Posted by 65647678010 link=1278673616/13#13 date=1279038304
    The dual floor baskets are for people who buy supermarket coffee which is ground relatively coarsely
    New info.. thanx !

Another 10-30 hours of research on this forum and you may qualify for D grade amateur barista! Im about C grade because I actually have a grinder!I know you said it flippantly but I think you will quickly realise that pro status is a long way away
    Dont put me down :( .. I already realise that when I read a section here about roasting your own coffee at home :-/ !!!

A question: How do you evaluate Ellis coffee? I used to buy it from Coles when I was in Sydnay to use it at work

Quote Originally Posted by 64646F5453483C0 link=1278673616/14#14 date=1279105823
    I meant double (shot basket) WITH the single floor

The dual floor baskets are for people who buy supermarket coffee which is ground relatively coarsely *
    New info.. thanx !

Another 10-30 hours of research on this forum and you may qualify for D grade amateur barista! Im about C grade because I actually have a grinder!I know you said it flippantly but I think you will quickly realise that pro status is a long way away
    Dont put me down :( .. I already realise that when I read a section here about roasting your own coffee at home *:-/ !!!

A question: How do you evaluate Ellis coffee? I used to buy it from Coles when I was in Sydnay to use it at work
    Oh Oh, incoming. *:D

PS Hope you get your problems sorted out, sounds like your on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by 0E0E053E3922560 link=1278673616/14#14 date=1279105823
    Dont put me down.. I already realise that when I read a section here about roasting your own coffee at home !!!
    OOps... *sorry mate, I didnt intend to put you down. *Im in the same boat as you after all... *on the learning curve. *I hope I did answer your question though. *Im a proud EM6910 owner, so I hope with the help of this site you will be punching out some awesome coffee. *

My brother in law has a $2000+ machine and he cant believe I can produce the same or better coffee than him on the little sunbeam!! I must have one of the good machines according to some peeps. * :D

Make sure to utilise the search function, you will probably find some info on "illy" beans. *I think the general thought is that they are ok but go stale within a day of opening. *Any coffee that is prepackaged, sits on a shelf and then claims to be fresh is a scam IMO. *:o

Anywho... * good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 766D6C7B3A32303A020 link=1278673616/8#8 date=1278734284
    AngerManagement, are you on the Sunbeam payroll ? :)

Me on the other hand, while I am gracious that you bought mine of me as spare parts, I will do everything I can to urge people to NOT BUY these machines.

I believe that if we all got together thered be enough of us to launch some sort of class action against Sunbeam for ripping us off and wasting out time and efforts re the em6910. But then again, who has the time?

Oh please.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

A happy 6910 user for over 3 years. ;)