Thread: up to where from 6910?

up to where from 6910?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I frequent this site when time to upgrade comes, or when in difficulty. I have had over 4 mostly very enjoyable years from my 6910 and sunny grinder. A few maintenance items along the way, but a very happy camper. It has done a good amount of work, and I want to quit it while its still performing well. time for a change, I just hate telling people the name when asked "what machine do you use?"
    My question relates to what it might be like going to a single boiler machine being used to the twin thermo sunbeam. At times I make coffee for 10 or more, but generally 2-4 flat whites at a time.
    I am seeing the Lelit or ever popular silvia are well liked, and a new Gee (sounds too much like a stupid tv show to me). The Gee seems to have separate steam thermo, but not sure I like the digital gizmo level? The array of machines over 1k is mindblowing and they certainly look sweet in general. How much is gained from silvia and lelit machines to get a sweet italian named machine with the goods?? Also in the market for a new grinder if anyone is selling a decent package special atm. "prefered" budget is under 1300 for machine and grinder. Any help gratefully accepted. cheers. kammy

Re: up to where from 6910?

Kammy the problem u have it with the quantity of coffee you make. Th 6910 are a good mahine (when not back for warantee issues) and are capable of making lots of coffee due to twin thermo blocks. I have played with them and I own a proud Silvia owner she is a beauty, but for making lots of coffees in a row she can be slow. But the coffee out of her is amazing!!
    Go visit some site sponsors near u and heck them out. But my Silvia & Rocky combo came under ur budget nicely and left room for a good tamper.

Good luck

Gday Kammy... :)

This new contender that Chris is currently evaluating... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1279089567 may be one worth considering and when coupled with a decent grinder, may be just the perfect upgrade from the SB.... 8-)

Mal.

I regards to making successive milk based coffee, I dont guess something like the *Perfetta would be any great advantage over the Silivia or similar? What machine would be in the lower end pricewise of twin boiler/thermo in a good quality italian machine( there are so many machines on he market) ? It has to look the goods too, my wife is not unhappy with me spending some money, so long as it doesnt look as ugly as the Silvia (in her opinion) :D she like the Pertetta look!!

I live in FNQ now, dont imagine there will be too many site sponsors I can just drop in on EH?

Given the quantity of coffees you are making you will find all single boiler dual use machines a real pain after the 6910 with its dual thermoblocks. Same sentiments of those above the new Gee that Talk Coffee is playing with or a HX machine is in order.

good luck :)

I also wasnt keen on any electronic readouts when I bought my Expobar.

Budget may be the problem with my suggestion but given to number of coffees you make on occasion and the fact that youre used to a 6910 (Ive used one extensively) I recommend saving up for an HX.

now I got some research to do, i dont even really understand what a HX machine is, and how its different from single boiler dual use machines. I am reading an article on coffee machines 101, but any other suggestions for understanding appreciated.

Hi Re a HX machine

They have one boiler usually over a litre.

1. The boiler is under pressure and that pressure controls the temperature of the water/steam (like the radiator cap on a car). *This give the steam.

The Brew system water is feed in a pipe through the boiler and this is regulated *by a restricting the flow of water through the boiler. *The group head is also keep at a constant temp by a hot water syphon.

Because the boiler temperature is regulated and because of the heat of the group and the controlled flow of water for brewing the water, the brew temp is very accurate.

It is a very good system with little need for adjustment once it is set up correctly - most Coffee snob sponsors will do this on delivery.

Probably a clear as mud!
    D

thanks dumiya, this is the best description I have so far. I Gather a single boiler dual use is Sylvia etc, one boiler with two diff temp settings and the time in between steam and shot to let the whole thing change down a gear. The other option is a twin boiler type? such as the Minore 111? with two completly separate systems for steam and shot?

Nice work Kammy you have 2 of the 3 options nailed and the HX is the more complicated to understand but this link will help lots :) http://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

thanks, I read that last night for a while, coulndt find this this arvo, and have just really enjoyed it now with a clearer mind and some more info. have also been looking at machines/packages. Love the look of the Isomac Tea, seems to be a HX although HX doesnt appear in the description. Also like the Minore 3, which is too dear really, but is twin boiler machine. My beloved bride says that she would be stoked to have either on the kitchen bench, but hates the boxy look of the expobar office etc. I will have to do some serious price bartering and see what can be done. I definetly dont want to buy too low for my upgrade. Looking at the compac K3T grinder...my budget has some flex, but will break if Im not careful.

have found Isomac tea and mini mazzer package with decent tamper etc for 2745. I guess I should move this discussion to pointy end machines...any thoughts on this combo?

or a Isomac Millenium for 2199!

Or a VBM DOMOBAR Junior HX for 2500

after lots of reading, looking, dribbling, dreaming, computer screen head aches, phone calls and questions, I have ordered a Diadema Unico Splendor and Mazzer Mini from Supreme Roasters in Qld. I figured buying from another bananna bender and having a local link for service not too far away would be a good move, and like all the site sponsors I spoke with, Roger was exceedingly helpful and non pressurised. I Hate Pressure!! And I am happy with the deal! I get the strong impression that other cane cutters up my way are really stoked with his service, and am looking forward to putting the new goods in place and getting to know them asap. *Not sure if there are any other Unico Splendors in FNQ, but anyone wanting to see one in action up here, let me know and we will try and organise something. Delivery estimate is Tuesday, WOO HOO!!!!! Will have over 5 kgs of fresh beans in hand, so look out local coffee lovers!

brett230873

What incredibly good taste you have. I am still not able to look at any other machine and not feel just a little pity for its parents... what with them having a machine nowhere near as georgeous as my Splendor! Enjoy!!! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4B414D4D59200 link=1279357640/12#12 date=1279780218
    after lots of reading, looking, dribbling, dreaming, computer screen head aches, phone calls and questions, I have ordered a Diadema Unico Splendor and Mazzer Mini from Supreme Roasters in Qld. I figured buying from another bananna bender and having a local link for service not too far away would be a good move, and like all the site sponsors I spoke with, Roger was exceedingly helpful and non pressurised. I Hate Pressure!! And I am happy with the deal! I get the strong impression that other cane cutters up my way are really stoked with his service, and am looking forward to putting the new goods in place and getting to know them asap. *Not sure if there are any other Unico Splendors in FNQ, but anyone wanting to see one in action up here, let me know and we will try and organise something. Delivery estimate is Tuesday, WOO HOO!!!!! Will have over 5 kgs of fresh beans in hand, so look out local coffee lovers!