Thread: Downgrade??

Downgrade??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSers.

First post. Yep.

So..... I have abused my 6900 over these 4 years (3.5-4 yrs).

I havent done the correct cleaning, I did nearly nothing right. I did use beautiful quality filtered rainwater though, and this may have been responsible for the very long run of no probs.

I like the Sunbeam, and can make acceptable cawfee.

She leaks like a seive. My fault.

New seal (first one 2 months ago.... see, told you I am disgraceful), and one of those card type spacers. A reasonable fix if low pressure is your thing.

To the subject.

Would a move to a Saeco Via Venezia (sp?) be an horrendous mistake?
    I make 2 coffees per day, sometimes 3. My wife doesnt seem to have taste buds or something, so has a bit of milk with her watered+1.

I pull a double shot over about 30ml of hot water, some would perhaps accuse me too of lacking finesse, but there you go.

So I would say that Im not extremely fussy as far as requirement for nirvana goes, I just want reliability and the ability to swig a shot and smile.

Secondary to the question......, it seems the Silvia has runs on the board, its not without its issues, but the reliability thing is gold to me (and I promise to treat this next one well, I was pure noob with the sunbeam) so is the practically double hit on the pocket cheap in the long run??

Additional info. I have a rocky grinder, I buy lovely beans by the 250g sealed bag, and only grind just what I need. (Do I sound like more of a snob than I can admit?)

Cheers in advance...... or please help.

Craig.

Re: Downgrade??

Correct me if Im wrong but a VV has a pressurised portafilter, right? So that would not do your nice and freshly ground beans justice. Maybe something else with a little more of a professional finish might be best for you - something italian made perhaps? A Lelit PL041 for example? Or a Siliva if you dont have your heart set on downgrading. Youll actually enjoy looking after a nice new long term machine too if youre anything like me.
    :)

Thanks for that.

Can go a non pressure basket on the VV. Does seem a nice cheap no frills option.

Ill just wait though, someone is bound to offer me their 2 month old rocket fo $500.

Cheers, Craig.

Keep your eye out for a Lelit, Nemox, Mokita or Silvia or anything of the likes in the sales thread.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 5E4F5C545A624E5E5249493D0 link=1279542011/2#2 date=1279589736
    Can go a non pressure basket on the VV. Does seem a nice cheap no frills option.
    I serviced a friends VV at chrismas for him becasue after 8 years of neglect and no descaling it was starting to die. I expected to have to tell him to buy a real machine and look after it but to my chargrin it ran beautifully after the service and has continued to do so. The unpressurised option doesnt suit him but i managed some fantastic shots with a modified GH... These machines are really well built and not a toy... despite the toy-like GH.

Quote Originally Posted by 514856584A5C4F500A0C0C3D0 link=1279542011/3#3 date=1282521271
    Keep your eye out for a Lelit, Nemox, Mokita or Silvia or anything of the likes in the sales thread.
    Good advice but check parts are easily available for the older Quaha/Nemox/Mokita varietels!

I reckon the non-combi lelit pl041 fits the bill admirably here, you can pick one up new for about $600 which puts it more in second-hand than new silvia territory.. It will do anything a silvia can.
    Sounds more like youve worn out the weak sunbeam collar than anything neglect related, and four years is a good run from one of these.