Thread: Silvia V. Lelit or...

Silvia V. Lelit or...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

I have been looking, and hopefully I will be using my tax return to pay for it, I dont want to spend more then $500 really, but I want to get something with quality; so Im willing to pay the extra $ for a better machine.

Would you recommend the Lelit? or the Silvia. Is there any other good espresso machines below the $800 belt? Im still leaning to the silvia , but just wanted to know if the Lelit has any advantages, and if theres any I have forgotten about.

Thanks.

Re: Silvia V. Lelit or...

They are very very similar machines.
    Here is a website which compares the two side by side with pictures..

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/comparison.html

For milk based drinks, the Silvia has a better steam arm.
    The Silvia has a tonne of support out there and massive cult following it.
    In the right hands theyll both last years and years.
    The Lelit does heat up significantly faster as the boiler sits directly above the group head - where as the Silvias is to the side.
    Lelit doesnt have the commercil 58mm group/portafilter (only matters if you want aftermarket stuff)
    The Lelit has a functionally large drip tray :)

If you do mostly milk based drinks maybe the Silvia is worth a bit of extra cash.
    If youre not fussed about the steam wand then the Lelit will make just as good coffee for a cheaper price tag.
    If you havent got bench space for a decent grinder - pick up a Lelit Combi.

Do remember to budget for a good grinder to go with the Silvia if you dont already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by 475E404E5C4A59461C1A1A2B0 link=1280036904/1#1 date=1280044025
    For milk based drinks, the Silvia has a better steam arm.
    Current models of the Lelit have an improved Steam Wand.... See JetBlack Espresso for details...

Mal.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 0D20242825490 link=1280036904/3#3 date=1280071364
    Current models of the Lelit have an improved Steam Wand
    The current version of the Lelit has a steam wand that is similar to the 09 Silvia - it swivels and has one hole and is long enough to get into a small or medium jug. There is no problem getting nice silky milk with the right technique (with the froth enhancer taken off).

charlie

On the topic of milk, I dont get it any silkier on my Junior Extra than I did on our old napolitana (same machine as the lelit, different badge), I just get it quicker. Ditch the "froth enhancer" & stick to a smaller jug (steam milk for 1 coffee at a time, perhaps 2 if youre using a tulip cup).

I manage to get good milk in a standard 2-drink pitcher. Just a matter of finding the perfect angle.
    The current model silvias do have the ball jointed steam arm, 58mm group and huge cult following which to some people may be worth the extra $200+ dollars.

Hi Folks. I am new to this sort of thing, but I just wanted to let every-one know that I have had my Lelit Combo for about 4 months now and could not be happier. I graduated from a really cheap ( but acceptable) combo machine on my daughters advice, and the Lelit seemed to have every-thing going for it at a reasonable price. Right from the begining I was able to sort out instructions and make a fair coffee and it has been all up from there. Reguards to all

see my post re my new babies! i love the lelit, and i think for your budget the combi is a great option, it is what i was going to buy, but i managed to get a bit extra for my budget and went for a better grinder.

ther coffee from lelit is excellent, it is easy to use and they are built to last!

good luck with your decision

I tossed up Silvia v Lelit for some time. I start the day with double espresso so haven't been fussed by the milk arm. My Lelit P1TEMDAUS is just over a year old and continues faithfully every morning. I'm a happy Lelit customer.

Lelit seems to have full stainless steel body which Silvia does not have and prone to rust over time.