Thread: Silvia drip tray spillage

Silvia drip tray spillage

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey all,

i have a rubber tamping mat which I store under my Silvia. But lately I have been noticing that when I go to pull it out to make more coffee there is a small amount of water under it. and when I pull the drip tray out, water must be sneaking behind the tray and sitting under the tray and some leaks out the hole in the base.
    I have tried a bit of blue-tac at the front of the drip tray, to wedge the drip tray towards the back, but it still does it.

Has anyone else has this?? how did u stop it??
    Im just wondering over the long term this might cause rust under the drip tray.

thanks all!! ;) ;D

Re: Silvia drip tray spillage

On my old Sunbeam I had the same problem where water would somehow find its way under the drip dray causing all sorts of problems.
    I think it was partially due to the water seeping down the side of the tray and underneath but also I observed that when really hot water is ejected through the 3-way solenoid valve it can spurt and flick everywhere.. maybe you could try creating some sort of "mud-guard" for the opening of the valve in to the tray?? Have you tried doing a blind-filter backwash with the drip tray cover off so you can see the water eject from the valve and observe its behaviour?

When you do a backflush with the blind filter on a silvia the drip tray has to be pushed all the way back up against the division in the machine, otherwise water will spill out of the machine. Every time I do a backflush I always take the drip tray cover off because that way you can see whats coming out too, so its probably not a bad thing to start doing anyway. Having pushed the drip tray back, Ive never had a backflush spillage *touch wood*

Hi guys
    I noticed this on mine too, particularly when back flushing.
    After taking the front panel off to expose the OPV, I was able to fit a short length of silicon rubber tube into the end of the OPV outlet (tight fit) that extended it down just slightly higher than the top of the drip tray (and angled forward a bit). From memory, the bottom section of the tube detaches from the valve body anyway, making it easier to fit.
    This has helped direct the overflow more directly into tray, and it has kept things a lot dryer for me.
    Been like that for a couple of years now, and no problems.

legend thanks fraser will give it a crack!! ;D ;D

I have modified mine similar to frasermcq.

I found a new piece of tapered plastic tube amongst all my aquarium plumbing bits and pieces. As it was tapered, I trimmed it to fit firm over the existing plastic nozzle.

I slide it up with two fingers to take out the tray and back down when the tray is returned.

It works great but still some foam splashes back when I chemical backflush, but much better than before.

I think this is a starting point for rust (especially if the backflushing chemical is corrosive), as the water runs along the length of the metal frame and just sits in there.

fraser what size silicone tubing was it?? did you get it from Bunnings?? Seems a shame to but 10 metres or however long it is for a couple cm of tubing?

thanks mate

Heres my version of the same mod. The tubes slides over the outside of the OPV and cut to length so that it doesnt hit the drip tray when removing.
    Its some plastic or PVC tubing bought from the gardening section of Bunnings. They sell them as a 5cm length. The same size as a ten cent piece

hey Lamsy,

went to Bunnings today picked up the tubing $1.20!! bargin! fixed the problem.

thanks all!!

Hi guys
    Just for the record, I used silicone tubing - 14mm outside diameter, approx 2.5mm wall thickness. Picked up from Fitch the Rubber Man in Adelaide, and was able to get just as much as I needed for a few dollars. Its a nice tight fit and able to be angled forward - so just what I was looking for.