Thread: Secondhand EM6910 Pressure Guage doesnt work among other things

Latte Lament

Secondhand EM6910 Pressure Guage doesnt work among other things

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am a long time reader, but this is my first post.
    I have been slowly progressing up the coffee ladder from an old stovetop, to now an EM6910 and am really excited to get hold of this machine. I bought it secondhand. So I sold my old Breville Ikon (which this site helped me choose to buy it) and theoretically got a free upgrade. * ;)

Everything seems to be working fine, and I can extract some nice shots, but The EM6910 has been very poorly maintained. So I have backflushed and descaled a few times with water and then with the sunbeam tablets and descaler that came with it.

But here is where i need your advice on how i might be able to repair the following faults:

1. The Pressure guage doesnt work

2. Posibly the Pressure relief valve is blocked?
    * When i check the PRV after i pull a shot and I think i can see a tiny bit moisture in the drip tray. But I dont hear any sounds or anything so *I dont know if the PRV is working properly.

3. *The group head is filthy and all scaled up too.

4. Group head seal needs replacement and possibly collar as Group handle is locking off at about 4 oclock.

5. Filter is water tank is yellow.

So will the standard 1Kg cafetto help declog the pressure guage and clean the scale off the group head, or will i have to rip it apart?
    I have seen the other post:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655/0
    So i am not sure if its just the guage or the 3 way valve.

But am trying to avoid ripping it apart if i can, and dont really want to pay $100+ to get the service centre to fix.

I am very technically minded but have not played with gas fittings before, and know that you can easily snap off connections if your not careful. At present i am just trying to fix the guage and dont really want to buy a new collar just yet.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated, and thanks again guys.
    :)

Re: Secondhand EM6910 Pressure Guage doesnt work among other things

AM should be along soon to give more detailed help but in the meantime you get me.

The guage died on the one I used at work but by then I didnt care as I no longer used it as a reference.
    I suppose at this stage it might help you learn the ins and outs of this particular machine.

Im afraid the best way to clean the head will be to at least pull the screen off so you can get in and give it a scrub.

Just make sure you dont force anything.
    From memory, the bolt is 12mm but check first.

The collar does sound very worn and a replacement isnt cheap.
    AM may have some ideas.

The filter sounds like it needs replacing, Im not sure if you can recharge them like in my machine. AM?

A_M

AM is up to his kneck in crapola ;D :D

Due home 9pm Friday and then have a Deep Sea fishing Trip to go on and have to be at other side of Brisbane by 3:45am. Due back late in teh afternoon and then have a 18th to go and be Bouncer for as of 6:45pm..

Am getting teh feeling that I will be bumping heads and cracking a few bones at teh very least.. Might be a bit short in patience me thinks.... Could be a great time, need to get a bit bloody every now and again... Makes one feel alive ;)

1: Service centre for less than $100 = Forget it.

2: Descale the shower screen manually, pull appart and clean manually... Do a simple Sumbean Descale...

3: There is a hole off to teh side and at teh back in teh head... That is the feed to the gauge and teh dump solenoid... There will be crapola in that line and that is why the guage will not work.

Do teh cleaning first and then with teh power off you should be able to blow air through the hole.. If ya can not . DO NOT FORCE IT....

POWER OFF AND PUT PLUG IN A PLASTIC BAG AND THEN LOCK IN A SAFE>>>>

Best you force it by using air from a compressor but from teh other side...... It has traveled from teh head and backinto teh machine... Yopu need to suck / blow from teh other side or you will make it worse... I know I have done it ;)

Rear cover will give you access to teh solenoid and the tubing you need to access...

A trip to teh local servo can be worth a laugh ;D

RCA = Over dosing / Too fine a grinds / Not cleaning enough = Poor user maintenance and understanding.

Like me in teh dark and trying to drive a hybred and not being able to find teh hand break.. Bloody car drives REAL slow and has a funny RED light on the dash... Is this a car or user problem ???

A: Lack of eye sight and no manual... dippy little foot opperated parking preak :-[ :-[

If ya need more help...

Wait till next week, when I might be feeling better and or out of teh lock up...

Now let the sheep bleat.....

Latte Lament

Thanks AM for the advice, your awesome.

I will give what you said a crack, and pull the back cover off to have a look. Will post some pics when i get a chance too.

Thanks again mate

Latte Lament

Hi AM and others, attached is a pic of the corrosion under the top plate warmer, for interest. Hopefully it wont get any worse... Will post a pic of the group head and the back panel of the machine.

Latte Lament

Okay over the weekend i inspected the group head when i removed the shower screens and this is the state the previous owner left it in. What is the best way to clean this off? I tried a group head clean with Sunbeams tablet but it did nothing...

Latte Lament

Okay now for the main issue, I opened the back door and unscrewed the back panel, but AM, I have no idea what pipe/tube I need to access in the back with the air compressor. I have attached a pic.

Is it the pipe on the left hand side with the bolt facing towards me?
    Also do i need to take any other panels off, as it doesnt look like much room with just the little door panel removed.

I also spoke to a coffee tech about this and he would not tell me which pipe and said that I could blow the valve if i did the compressed air thing wrong, but i think he just wants me to bring it in... ::)

Thanks guys for all your help, Its much more interesting doing this myself and I get to learn something in the process ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 24382F3A21252D3B480 link=1280369768/6#6 date=1280711405
    Okay now for the main issue, I opened the back door and unscrewed the back panel, but AM, I have no idea what pipe/tube I need to access in the back with the air compressor. I have attached a pic.

Is it the pipe on the left hand side with the bolt facing towards me?
    Also do i need to take any other panels off, as it doesnt look like much room with just the little door panel removed.

I also spoke to a coffee tech about this and he would not tell me which pipe and said that I could blow the valve if i did the compressed air thing wrong, but i think he just wants me to bring it in... ::)

Thanks guys for all your help, Its much more interesting doing this myself *and I get to learn something in the process *;)
    Yes And Yes And Maybe And Depends

The machine runs at 240V and is dangerous. *Every connector is in essence either at 240V or can be at 240V with a slight mistake.

And while you may also think connectors... Those solder joints etc are also at 240V...

This is why these units are stated as having no USER serviceable parts/components..

1: The light blue circle is where the Gauge take off is... *You could get access to that but would need the unit to be further dissembled.. * Not recommended for non qualified tecs...

If ya do it wrong you will stuff the gauge fully.

2: *Yellow is where you can get access to the dump valve.

Again... Do it wrong and you will cause problems and stuff you machine.

Have uploaded a pdf as a indicator as to the path that will have a blockage..... *However, I can only suggest that you get it looked at by an experienced person. *If you do it incorrectly you will make it worse.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 213D2A3F2420283E4D0 link=1280369768/5#5 date=1280710761
    Okay over the weekend i inspected the group head when i removed the shower screens and this is the state the previous owner left it in. What is the best way to clean this off? I tried a group head clean with Sunbeams tablet but it did nothing...
    It is fine... The seal even looks OK ;)

That hole is where the blockage will be..

You may be able to try some 80lb fishing line and poke it through... It will also help to assist to identify where the blockage is..

My bet is about 15 to 20mm in :D

Latte Lament

AM your too good mate. Thanks for the diagram.
    Haha, grabbed some normal fishing line (Dont know if its 80lb) but it stopped at around the 15mm mark!!! *:o

So what do i do then, get some heavier line and try and punch it through?

Also here is a pic of the machine with the handle position, i think the collar is worn, would one of those spacer rings help? Thanks mate

Latte Lament

Lastly here is a pic of my filter, is it meant to be that colour?
    Hope this helps some people.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6B7760756E6A6274070 link=1280369768/9#9 date=1280715222
    AM your too good mate. Thanks for the diagram.
    Haha, grabbed some normal fishing line (Dont know if its 80lb) but it stopped at around the 15mm mark!!! *:o

So what do i do then, get some heavier line and try and punch it through?

Also here is a pic of the machine with the handle position, i think the collar is worn, would one of those spacer rings help? *Thanks mate
    15mm.... I guess I have to suck it up and accept that I know little to nothing about these units...

1: Piano or other string (wire type) may be an option for you... Easy to get hold of.... Just grab a pair of wire cutters and slip up on stage when teh local band takes a break..... Get one off each and pick a selection of thicknesss.. That way no one in teh audience will ever know....

2: If that does not work... I may be happy to pay postage for your unit, but no more than $32

It will then mean a total strip and drill out from both sides. Lots of work and not always 100% for a few reasons.

AS to the handle position...

Collar would be a fair bit stuffed..

$65 aprox for a new collar... But you will need to strip the unit to replace and if you do not mod your group lugs... You will be in teh crap again in a year or two.

Some agents would charge between $125 and $225 to do teh repair.

Now a good agent would do the collar repair and fix teh Gauge problem at teh same time.

Would suggest any thing that was about $225 for the collar and fix of teh gauge is a GOOD price.

You could do teh lugs ya self..

Now if ya was around teh corner and you popped over with teh collar and had an hr or two free AND we run a roast or two and a BBQ.. I would also do a steam mod to the unit as well and you would have a great working unit, for a few years to come......

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 475B4C5942464E582B0 link=1280369768/10#10 date=1280717825
    Lastly here is a pic of my filter, is it meant to be that colour?
    Hope this helps some people.
    Normal..

As stated before..

Remove and re charge by soaking in a salt water solution for a couple of hrs..

As ya in Perth... Do this every month or so and try to use filtered water as well.

Latte Lament

Thanks AM, I really wish i was around the corner! ;D

So I gather there is no bend in the hole in the group head,
    it just goes through it in a line? Cant really tell from the drawing.

I will try the wire and if no luck, I might try and take the machine apart and give the collar replacement a crack myself if i cant get a decent quote over here.
    Can i make it worse doing the wire thing, like shove it back into the pipe more?

Also do you have a link for the steam and lug mods?

Thanks mate, you rock! ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 504C5B4E5551594F3C0 link=1280369768/13#13 date=1280719279
    So I gather there is no bend in the hole in the group head,
    it just goes through it in a line? Cant really tell from the drawing.
    No... It goes up and then bends at about 90 and heads out to teh back of teh head... From there it goes via connectors and pipework..

Quote Originally Posted by 504C5B4E5551594F3C0 link=1280369768/13#13 date=1280719279
    Can i make it worse doing the wire thing, like shove it back into the pipe more?
    Yes of course ;D :D Thats teh fun when you try to fix and stuff it even more... You know who did it... YOU ;D

Lug mod has been posted many times... Use teh search function - Advanced..

Steam mod has been spoken about but not published..

Latte Lament

Hey AM.
    When did the new collars come in do you know? Apparantly this machine is nearly 2 years old. How would i know to order the new type of collar, and can i get by for a while with a spacer? I dont notice any leaking around the PF yet.

Also can you give me any hints on the steam mod? Is it just a different tip? (Mine only has 1 hole in it)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0E1205100B0F0711620 link=1280369768/15#15 date=1280734187
    Hey AM.
    When did the new collars come in do you know? Apparantly this machine is nearly 2 years old. How would i know to order the new type of collar, and can i get by for a while with a spacer? I dont notice any leaking around the PF yet.

Also can you give me any hints on the steam mod? Is it just a different tip? (Mine only has 1 hole in it)
    Collars came in when ordered and every batch seems to have a slightly better system..

So who knows what you got... But its stuffed.

When ya order one in.. Just get the Collar for the EM6910... It should be the latest.

Spacer can always help... But if not leaking who cares....

How would a steam tip help steam production :D ;D

No... It is about changing pipe work and modding steam valves etc etc etc..

Latte Lament

Okay been poking through the pressure relief valve and the group head holes with the fishing line, being very gentle on the relief valve side.

On the relief valve hole it got about 10cm up.
    From the group head hole it started to make very soft hissing sound sometimes when i poked it...

Secondly i ran some water through the head and I saw that it is coming through both the hole in the nut and off to the side!
    Here is a pic.

Is this normal mate, could this be the problem?

Thanks again for all your awesome advice!

A_M

NOOOOOOO

See post 5 the little hole at teh back..

Ya start poking teh main one in the middle and you will STUFF the system..

Stop thinking and just follow instructions and or give it to those that know best.

Latte Lament

Hey am. I have not touched the hole in the middle. All the tests were on the hole to the back. When I said prv I meant The fishing line went up 10cms from the prv at the drip tray. To test the blockage

Then I had a mental relaps. I forgot that the shower head screw goes into the middle hole and was worried that water was coming around the sides thinking it was meant to come through thy centre hole. Just a ditsy moment. Thanks mate

A_M

The issue is that there is a spring and valve seat in teh middle and you do not want to stress / damage that..

POWER OFF...... You should have a clear pathway between the drip tray and the small hole in the head.

If ya can get teh line a couple of cm in from teh head side... You should be OK.

You just need to use something stronger than fishing line...

As I said metal strings from a guitar etc is best to use....

Latte Lament

Okay AM. I am gonna find some wire.
    Once everything is unplugged I will poke the wire through.
    But to confirm would it be best to do it from the drip tray so the crux comes out of the head? Or is that a no go because of the risk to the valve between?

Thanks mate

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 405C4B5E4541495F2C0 link=1280369768/21#21 date=1280742056
    Okay AM. I am gonna find some wire.
    Once everything is unplugged I will poke the wire through.
    But to confirm would it be best to do it from the drip tray so the crux comes out of the head? Or is that a no go because of the risk to the valve between?

Thanks mate

From the drip tray is way to long and too many other bits and fittings involved...

Do teh poking from the head side....

If ya can, get a syringe with a soft tip or add some Si tubing and every so often... Shove up the hole in the head and pull back on teh plunger... In effect a Vacuum and the side bit of crap may yet come / move / free up a bit...

A: Have been OK in 4 ot of 5 units when doing teh above...

B: Teh other units have needed a very heavy handed approach.. High pressure / stripped down / Solvents and a drill....

Best of luck....

Latte Lament

Argh found some braided wire in an old tackle box but cant get past the 15mm mark! Am getting coffee colored crud stuck on the end of the wire. It is a bit thin and bendy though. How far up into the head is that 90 degree turn? Am thinking of using some coat hangar wire or a needle... What you recken AM? *:-/

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 504C5B4E5551594F3C0 link=1280369768/23#23 date=1280746110
    Am thinking of using some coat hangar wire or a needle... What you recken
    Try it..... At about 15mm it turns at 90 thus ya coat hanger and or needle will never work.

Never said it was quick... Slow and steady...

Latte Lament

AM Im gettin nowhere my braided wire is about 2mm in diameter and tried twisting both ends together for more strength but no luck. It feels hard as concrete.

Do u think a thicker braided wire will make any difference or is there another way maybe with the air compressor? Or will it need to be drilled?

Thanks mate, appreciate it

A_M

Can only do so much by txt...

Sounds like your either not being patient enough... AND OR it is well and truly blocked...

If the wire is too thick... It will never bend and get around teh corner as it is a sharp 90...

Pure physics my dear fellow.

If ya getting a bit of crap out... Then just keep digging... What is a few hrs/days/week or two..

Ya think they build teh bridge overnight.. Slow and steady.

Any thing else is desperation and all on your OWN...

AM

Latte Lament

Hey AM. Nah not even digging anything out anymore :(
    not even sure if it is getting past the bend...Been doing it for over an hour now... Sigh

Latte Lament

:D ;D 8-) :P ;) :) :D ;D :D ;D :D

ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!
    I stuck with it and still thought i was getting nowhere, but ended up deciding to do a backflush in the vain hope it may dislodge what i had been picking away at.
    I heard a pop, and then the most awesome sight!!!!!!!!!!
    Backflushed it twice with water then one time with sunbeam tablet then water again. STill all good!!!
    THANKS SO MUCH AM!!!!!!!

Also been doing alot of reading about collars and found out i am tightening mine WAAAY over. It sits comfortably at 5 oclock (I have only had this for 2 weeks). So I think it is worn but maybe ok for a while.

Anyway now its fully functional and thanks to you AM and my trusty little braided wire all is well!!!! :D

Thanks so much mate!!!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6E7265706B6F6771020 link=1280369768/28#28 date=1280759428
    ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!
    I stuck with it and still thought i was getting nowhere, but ended up deciding to do a backflush in the vain hope it may dislodge what i had been picking away at.
    I heard a pop, and then the most awesome sight!!!!!!!!!!
    Backflushed it twice with water then one time with sunbeam tablet then water again. STill all good!!!
    THANKS SO MUCH AM!!!!!!!
    So did you manage to sight/find and put in a jar of spirits - the said offending piece ?

As I said/ sort of hinted... To do it properly it is a slow process.... *But in most cases it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by 566A776C666770656D66020 link=1280369768/1#1 date=1280370581
    AM should be along soon to give more detailed help but in the meantime you get me.

The guage died on the one I used at work but by then I didnt care as I no longer used it as a reference. I suppose at this stage it might help you learn *the ins and outs of this particular machine.

Im afraid the best way to clean the head will be to at least pull the screen off so you can get in and give it a scrub.
    TG is 100% correct... The Gauge is just an Indicator... *But with a blockage up in that line it does / can cause other problems..

RCA = Over dosing / Too fine a grinds / Not cleaning enough = Poor user maintenance and understanding. *( This is not directed at TG - But in particular, where you have a few people involved... Can make maintenance a real pain.. *I know - my REd EM6910 at my old work has copped abuse like you would not believe... It also mostly locks in at 3:00 but runs like a dream)....

If you do some reading you will find that many users of the prosumer machines will clean at least every week/10 days and many perform all sorts of daily cleaning...

Note: The average Joe Blow *who gets a EM6910 from the white goods store, only thinks about cleaning once it has stopped working..... *Then we usually see a frustrated and bitter person who also hates Sunbeam... Had they bought a Silvia and or other systems and treated the same way, they would be in even worse state of being...

What is good to see is when the light goes on and they also learn more about coffee *8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 6E7265706B6F6771020 link=1280369768/28#28 date=1280759428
    Also been doing alot of reading about collars and found out i am tightening mine WAAAY over. It sits comfortably at 5 oclock (I have only had this for 2 weeks). So I think it is worn but maybe ok for a while.

Anyway now its fully functional and thanks to you AM and my trusty little braided wire all is well!!!! * *
    I would suggest that your correct... And will be OK for a while yet.

Do the lug mod and the group will move further to the right... *But if you get a spacer or two from Coffee Parts then all will be OK.

After my Lug mod; you will lock over a bit more as you have in effect removed some of the lug and you have to account for this.. *The plus, is that if done correctly, you will now engage on a longer flat and that; will spread the pressure etc.

PS. You also need to be Thanked... My Typing and Tone is all too often read by many in a light that causes distress or get emotions going *;)

You hung in there and thats what got you the outcome you were looking for. *Now go back and read all the post and see how the context / emotion all changes; now that the unit is working *;)

Once again........Well done... *

Now remember to come back and share... *Try not to be a hit and run forum user...

Quote Originally Posted by 4C636A687F406C636C6A68606863790D0 link=1280369768/26#26 date=1280751063
    just keep digging... What is a few hrs/days/week or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by 617D6A7F6460687E0D0 link=1280369768/27#27 date=1280751556
    Hey AM. Nah not even digging anything out anymore :(
    not even sure if it is getting past the bend...Been doing it for over an hour now... Sigh
    A bit over 2 hours later...

Quote Originally Posted by 617D6A7F6460687E0D0 link=1280369768/28#28 date=1280759428
    ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!
    What was it again AM said?

Quote Originally Posted by 4C636A687F406C636C6A68606863790D0 link=1280369768/24#24 date=1280746747
    Never said it was quick... Slow and steady...

Quote Originally Posted by 200F0604132C000F0006040C040F15610 link=1280369768/29#29 date=1280790381
    But if you get a spacer or two from Coffee Parts then all will be OK.
    P.S. Hey AM I didnt know Coffee Parts had spacers that would fit the 6910.
    For my own education (and future readers of this thread) what part number or description?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1C203D262C2D3A2F272C480 link=1280369768/30#30 date=1280794595
    P.S. Hey AM I didnt know Coffee Parts had spacers that would fit the 6910.
    For my own education (and future readers of this thread) what part number or description?
    TG thanks for the great review of the ebbs and flows of the days events..

I cracked up big time... But must admit... For those on the outside lurking it must have been fun.

As to coffee parts.. I hate the fact I can not do a search ::) ::)

As more often than not, one finds a part but it is only visable under one model... Then try and find it again ;D :D ;) >:( :(

In essence the EM6910 seal is a standard .....

So while doing up a BZ99 I found this http://www.coffeeparts.com/bezerra/700728.htm and while I thought I would need it... I did not...

Guess what = Great for teh EM6910 and has got me out of trouble...

None of these spacers appear when your looking for group seals... But when you look at some models and go and click on the items... Then you can find other spacers..

GAGGIA / EMC / RANCILIO / WEGA etc etc all appear to use the following;

http://www.coffeeparts.com/ecm/518608.htm

Latte Lament

Yeah it was pretty funny, I was gobsmacked and started laughing when i saw the needle move during the backflush, just wasnt expecting it!

Hopefully this will help some new people like myself. But yeah it was really weird as the whole time could not get the wire through. But i must have dislodged something which gave way during the backflush.
    I think the biggest issue i had, was that i did not own the machine from new so didnt really know how it should be.

Anyway I think i might get one of those spacers, to help with the machine, and possibly do the lug mod.

This forum and AM saved me over a $100 if i were to take it into a service center and am really grateful, thanks guys.
    So not bad for a $4.00 upgrade and a few hours! ;D

But I will be buying a much better grinder soon as well, now that i have a decent machine.
    But mainly becasue my old Breville BCG450 isnt really up to scratch, especially since my 4 year old decided to put a rock in it when i wasnt looking about 6 months ago.... pretty horific discovery when grinding beans in the morning :o

A tip for anyone wanting to get a rock out of their grinder, ;D use some pliers, surrounding both side of the rock and move it anticlockwise, slides right out. But hey the burrs will never be the same again.

But with it, I am getting into the mid brown zone on the newly operating guage, so not bad for a munted grinder I guess... ;D