Thread: Cleaning and preventing rust on EM6910 exterior?

Cleaning and preventing rust on EM6910 exterior?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I have recently noticed (about 1 month ago) some rust forming on the exterior panels of my EM6910. I could have googled clean rust stainless steel but hile Im assuming its a lightweight (<1mm) stainless steel, I know there are those here who would know with 100% certainty...dont want to use the wrong product if these panels are actually not SS (a la the drip tray? no rust there.)

So whats my best option for cleaning and preventing this rust? Ive only used water and a cloth to wipe this down but I bought it 2nd hand about 12 months ago so Im not certain of its providence.

While its not affecting the performance (and the camera has made it look a lot worse than with the naked eye) its not ideal, and was planning on upgrading my grinder this year and waiting till next year for a HX...dont want the thing crumbling in a heap until then!

A_M

Re: Cleaning and preventing rust on EM6910 exterior?

It will not crumple... But goes to show that SS is not SS and also where water / moisture splashes are coming from * :o *:o

Or that some one is using a wet / contaminated cloth to wipe it down.

Bunnings has at least two SS polishes that I use.

A: Is a polish and nothing more -Qceder - Metal cleaner/polish

B: Has a mild cutting compound and great for removing slight blemishes - AutoSol - SHINE

PS. *Depending on; If the frame is Welded OR Folded, then that can also define what grade of SS might be best used.

PPS. Not all stainless is corrosion resistant *;D and thus it can be a trade off at times...

Just like high grade Ally used in boats... Also highly flammable and burns with ease.. The British Navy had first hand proof a few years ago.... A single small missile; (FOF was a joke then) can literally burn a warship / aircraft carrier to nothing (broad generalisation).

As AM has said there are many different grades of stainless steel.
    Approved food use stainless comes in two grades, 304L and 316L. Both contain chrome which gives the shiny "stainless" finish. 316L also has high quantities of cobalt and molybdenum, it is a higher grade and doesnt show rusty blemishes it is also approved for pharmacuetical preparation.
    304L is considerably cheaper but does develop rust spots. They will buff out with any decent polish, they will most likely reoccur, just polish them out as they reoccur. Regularly wiping the case with a cloth will help keep it at bay.

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys. Will head off to the big green box and get some polish this weekend!

Sure thats not milk froth thats hardened and gone brown? Looks that way to me...instantly recognise it from the milk side of my machine between cleanings.

Just like high grade Ally used in boats... Also highly flammable and burns with ease..
    Yeah, man. Also why the Hindenberg went down. Its canvas panels were coated with a lacquer containing iron oxide and aluminum-impregnated cellulose acetate butyrate. Think of the stuff in the Space Shuttle rocket boosters and youre pretty close. It was used to reflect sunlight from the ship and keep the hydrogen gas bags cool...but geez was it ever flammable. Well, that and the hydrogen gas...

- boingk

Well had a go at it with yesterday with the Autosol - came up great! Still have the slightest hints of the rust on that LHS panel, but I think if I have another go at it (and possibly do it routinely) it should keep improving and be less likely to return.

Although this pic is from the steaming side, Im 99% confident it is rust, as the speckling is also around the back and the RHS panel, but just not as heavy. The steaming side does have some milk splashing around, but also a hell of a lot of water too...