Thread: Nuova Oscar... overkill for my simple needs?

Nuova Oscar... overkill for my simple needs?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey everyone, I was after a little advice about purchasing new espresso machine. Basically I have an old Breville Roma and a EM480 Grinder. The Roma has to go and the Nuova Oscar has caught my eye. I only drink milk coffees, flat whites, and sometimes make lattes for friends. Id imagine Id only be making 1-2 coffees per weekday and 2-6 on weekends.
    I dont need it to be on a timer, so that hurdle is avoided, however Im worried this machine may be wasted on me, I just sold my nespresso machine which I thought the actual shots from it were great, so that prob gives you an idea about how refined my taste is.. or isnt. Id looked at the silvia and the lelit, however it seems that you have to be fairly spot on with your technique with those machines, and well, I want to develop my skills, but most of the time I just want a nice coffee without too much fuss. The price of the Oscar is about my maximum.
    Cheers,
    Shane

Re: Nuova Oscar... overkill for my simple needs?

No its not overkill

With my set up (see my sig below) I have similar consumption needs

KK

alledog

the more you hang around CoffeeSnobs you will realise that there is no such a thing as "over kill", but you will get to know "upgraditis" which is a constant desire for better toys!! ;D :D ;D You will need to look at your grinder, you may need to upgrade you grinder to something a little bett.

our advice here is always buy the best you can avoid! then get some lessons how to maximise your shot quality and consistency.

before yo u know it you will be home roasting, and upgrading your bits and pieces. ;D ;D

enjoy the journey!!

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 6A6A6A646861616262070 link=1280666691/2#2 date=1280680867
    our advice here is always buy the best you can avoid!
    CoffeeSnobs: Now includes marital advice at no extra charge ;D

Seriously though, do buy the very best you can afford because being a true Coffee Snob is not about what you can get by with, but what you can brag about. You have only succeeded as a snob when those around you shake their collective heads in disbelief at your growing collection of shiny stuff... ;)

Thanks for the responses... after I hit the post button I realised Im probably not asking the right crowd about something being overkill ;)
    mmmcofee, yeah I realise Ill need to upgrade the grinder eventually, but to be honest, at the moment I dont think my palate is anywhere near refined enough to notice a difference yet. I just figured Id try and get a good machine now that will last me a long time and be simple and easy to use.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6E7E6978783E3F3C343B3F0C0 link=1280666691/3#3 date=1280698873
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A6A6A646861616262070 link=1280666691/2#2 date=1280680867
    our advice here is always buy the best you can avoid!
    CoffeeSnobs: Now includes marital advice at no extra charge ;D

Seriously though, do buy the very best you can afford because being a true Coffee Snob is not about what you can get by with, but what you can brag about. *You have only succeeded as a snob when those around you shake their collective heads in disbelief at your growing collection of shiny stuff... *;)

OH so true... All to often about peer and bragging rather than whats in teh cup :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6060656968636B0C0 link=1280666691/4#4 date=1280714003
    Thanks for the responses... after I hit the post button I realised Im probably not asking the right crowd about something being overkill ;)
    mmmcofee, yeah I *realise Ill need to upgrade the grinder eventually, but to be honest, at the moment I dont think my palate is anywhere near refined enough to notice a difference yet. *I just figured Id try and get a good machine now that will last me a long time and be simple and easy to use.

The Oscar is a reasonable machine... Just like all others... Has its little traps for the ill-informed or misinformed.

So the case is plastic... Dos that affect the cup... In 99.9% of cases NO ;)

Manage the temp and treat it with respect and it will give you great results in the cup for some time to come.. However teh EM0480 will be at its limits in giving you the consistency in grind to do the Oscar full credit.

Keep ya eye open for the Eureka Mignon on special or any second hand....

Thanks guys... could have done with the complimentary marital advice BEFORE my divorce though ;)
    Anger Management, believe it or not, I actually really like the plastic housing on the Oscar, its one of the things that attracted me to it. Im not really a fan of the polished steel retro looking machines (Im sure Ill come around though if I keep hanging around on this site :) ) Point taken about the grinder certainly.. unfortunately I only bought the sunbeam grinder a few weeks ago, and well... if I replace it too soon I just may need to call on the included relationship advice with the new mrs hehe. So new machine first, then will focus on a new grinder to do the machine justice, by then my skills and palate may have improved. Ill keep my eyes on the FS thread.
    Cheers guys.