Thread: My Gaggia New Baby with PID and Silvia steam wand mod.

My Gaggia New Baby with PID and Silvia steam wand mod.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I thought I would post my Gaggia New Baby with PID and Silvia steam wand mod pic. I upgraded my Gaggia Carezza to the new baby , it lot better to suit the mods due to its more square shape , 3 way valve and hight to add wand.

I also replace all the o-rings on boiler and lapped the aluminium boilers to remove some corrosion pits on both machines, descaled, Now like new.

Only installed PID tonight, taste good, temp very stable, still need to find what is best temp to set it too , 92 and 93 have tried so far.

PID is an omron which i had for years, and finally found a good use for, using internal relay of PID as the new baby internal air temp is 60 plus, too hot for solid state relay. PID has choice of 2 sec or 20 sec response , 2 sec was too short , relay clicking too annoying, 20 sec works well.

Re: My Gaggia New Baby with PID and Silvia steam wand mod.

Looks amazing!

Is the shots more predictable with the PID in place? Less temperature surfing?

Well the original thermostat turned off at 107C and back on at 99C (brew 107-08C ,steam 145-15C rating on thermostats)
    but the temperature swing is higher, between 94 at its coldest and 113 at its highest. The PID will keep it accurate to first crack or second crack and I can choose where to set it.

did notice before could slightly bitter or burnt , never really temp surfed as I knew i would be installing a PID
    Still working out what vales for P, I, D for PID, using Auto Tune, and just seeing what it uses from cold or warmed up.

Now i wont have to worry about temp, once i find what works best.

Now have installed a SSR and heatsink and set PID to 2 sec cycle currently been using 104C for brew.

thinking about using alarm output to control steam temp like below

http://www.skenedesign.com/Silvia/

I have just modified my Gaggia Baby to have PID alarm output control steam temp.
    steam temp = brew temp + alarm temp, 105C + 40C = 145C.
    This is not PID control but just simple on or off as it passes the alarm temp.
    Original steam thermostat cycled between *130C and 160C (145C +/- 15C) with alarm control it is cycling between *143C and 160C for 145C set point

My pid has an inverted alarm mode, so alarm output is on until alarm temp is reached, then alarm goes off, the alarm out is wired in parallel to the SSR via the steam switch. I removed the original alarm relay and wired it to drive the SSR.

Advantages are I can choose the steam temp and it does not go below this.

Is higher or lower steam temps recommend?
    any advice on steam temp?

http://www.skenedesign.com/Silvia/

Still waiting for my pid & ssr to arrive, but Im wondering if I should use this trick to control steam on my gaggia.

Correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand it, Ill need to get a 240-12v adapter to drive the ssr from the alarm output, so the installation starts to get a bit messy with extra wires and a wall wart.
    Given the short heatup time for steaming, Ill likely be standing next to the machine and can just start steaming as the temp *passes the sweet spot so the stock thermostat never triggers because the gaggia element will struggle to maintain temp while steaming.

The benefit of this would be marginal, would it not, or have I missed something important?

Got home for a brief break today and my pid turned up. Only problem is they sent the wrong one. I asked for the D1s-vr which supports an SSR, they sent the D1s-SR with an internal relay:-(

Another two weeks wasted while I sort that out

I removed both my internal relays and used the voltage going to the relays coils (5v) to drive my external SSR via 2 diodes I added inside my PID , no extra powersupply needed. I also bypassed my steam thermostat so it no longer used.

PID Out* * ---->|-----
    * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** }------SSR
    Alarm Out ---->|-----

hey firepower. Ive been looking around a bit and trying to work out how you hooked up your alarm. Im using a sistos pid - the one with SSR outputs - so i dont think i need to pull out the internal relay in order to get 5V outputs etc. Also I dont understand the need of diodes in my current configuration.

Also looked at http://www.skenedesign.com/Silvia/ and I see that he is using a separate 12V power for the alarm signal. Did you end up doing that, or did you use a different configuration. Im pretty sure if i hook up the 240v through the steam switch and use that as a signal for the alarm, im probably gonna blow the pid.

cheers

Hey, I ve the same gaggia and im having problem with overheating.

Do you happen to have either detailed photos of the inside especially of the wiringand/or a wiring diagram?
    I would be super greatful.

Have a lovely day!

Dave

[/QUOTE]

Quite a few to be found on the Net, such as the one linked to below...
    http://tomblog.firstsolo.net/wp-cont...lassWiring.pdf

Mal.