Thread: New machine needed - but can we use our old grinder?

New machine needed - but can we use our old grinder?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all!

I have been lurking here for a long time as a guest, but I am hoping you all can help me with some specific advice? *

My husband and I have been owners of the 6910 and EM0480 for several years (we had the original 6900 and it blew up, and sunbeam replaced it with the 6910) and finally the 6910 has gone the same way after much use.

The question i wanted to ask was, seeing as our EM0480 is still working really well, can I use this grinder with a Silvia (or similar machine) successfully? *I have been reading the forums here now for a long time and it seems the Silvia is the way to go? (I am looking at spending less than $1000 on a machine).

Looking forward to your advice, my husband is suffering from coffee machine withdrawals!

Regards

Ally

Re: New machine needed - but can we use our old grinder?

Welcome to the non lurking side *:)

Short answer is yes you can use it. Longer answer is that it will limit the quality of the coffee you can produce with the Silvia over the next step up such as a Rocky, K3T etc.

In your spot make sure the Silvia is what you really want, the time taken from shot to steam and back is a pain considering you havnt had to wait with your last machines. Best thing is to go have a play with one at a sponsor if you can.

From there about the only other option in your budget is the Gee with a steam thermoblock like your Sunbeam but it runs a proper boiler for the brews.

Back to the grinder use your current one as a stop gap but start saving for a Christmas pressie for yoursselves *;)

Quote Originally Posted by 25222629212B3E2E2920470 link=1280801685/1#1 date=1280804297
    From there about the only other option in your budget is the Gee
    Or a Nemox / Lelit which are internally the same as the silvia except without the ridiculous price tag and label. - Can be bought <700 . Comparison of Lelit v Silvia = http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/comparison.html

Agreed with beanflying. Im currently running the EM0480 with my Gaggia Classic. I would say it is sufficient for the machine in terms of grinding fine enough for the coffee machine. However, in the long run, you would probably want an upgrade.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will certainly look to upgrade the grinder very soon...

cheers

Ally