Thread: How much does an entry level HX machine cost?

tsk

How much does an entry level HX machine cost?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    I joined the forum about 2 years ago when I was researching what grinder to buy...back then I was going to buy a Silvia to go with the Rocky. However, long story short, we ended up not buying either.
    Well turns out the longing for decent coffee became more apparent when we moved out to a place with no good coffee places to go so Ive finally convinced my OH that we have no other choice but to buy our machine in the next week *:D
    After some research (and very sore eyes), I would like to know what we would expect to spend on an entry level HX machine as it looks like the way to go? Also, if there are any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, can someone tell me if theres an easier way to see where/ what state a site sponsor is in rather than clicking on each sponsor and checking out their profile or reading all the posts? I would very much like to support the sponsors in this forum but need to find one near me first.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    - Tracy

Re: How much does an entry level HX machine cost?

down below left on the screen u have the option of contacting all sponsors if that helps!

aaron

Hi,

only HX machine that really fits here is the Nuova Simonelli Oscar at $1250-1300. It has a few shortcomings such as plastic shell and the lack of an anti vac valve (cant be started on a timer). Not sure of availability in Qld but available from seveeral sponsors including here http://www.lamborghinicaffe.com.au/e...hine/oscar.php

Apart from that I think the next one up is the Expobar Office at $1650ish http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=46 also available from several sponsors.

best of luck with the decision :)

tsk

Thanks guys.
    I need to be able to have one on a timer, so thats going to rule out the Oscar, although its a good starting point for price.
    Does this mean I need to re-post my message in the >$1500 section to get a few more suggestions as to whats worth looking into?
    :-/

If you havnt seen it yet either have a chat to Chris at Talk Coffee and see how the Gee might work or be tweaked to suit timer operation. Thats about your only other quality machine in this price.

TC

Hi tsk,

No reason not to put the GEE on a timer as the boiler is always full ;)

I recommend that any espresso machine on a timer should also be placed on a surge protector.

Chris

tsk

Quote Originally Posted by 1124292E1A062A23232020450 link=1281419361/5#5 date=1281422739
    Hi tsk,

No reason not to put the GEE on a timer as the boiler is always full ;)

I recommend that any espresso machine on a timer should also be placed on a surge protector.

Chris
    Good point. Weve managed to kill 2 timers (one manual and one electronic) in the 4 weeks that weve been here.

As for the GEE, it will be a hard sell to the OH, I was kind of hoping that I would find a site sponsor somewhere here in QLD to go to, and watch one or two machines in action (hoping that the OH will be convinced to stretch the budget just by being shown how good a good machine can be) ;)

Im re-posting in the >$1500 section and hoping that it helps.

You have some options but, make sure the grinder and a source of fresh roasted beans is done and dusted first.

Ginder wise the Eureka Mignon or K3T would be a good starting point. Leaves you with $1k-ish give or take for a machine of the $1500.