Thread: Lelit Combi a good pick?

Lelit Combi a good pick?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Long time reader, first time poster!

The time has come for me to finally get a decent machine at home and with my budget in mind (less than $1k) it looks like the Lelit Combi is the best pick?

I dont currently have a grinder, so I imagine that really rules out blowing my budget on the Silvia. So if I go with the Lelit - anything else I need to add straight up?

Re: Lelit Combi a good pick?

I only got mine last week, but it is a very very good pick for the price. You will need a proper tamper, the one that comes with it is horrible. Have a look at Di Bartoli, they seem to have the best range of "off-the-shelf" 57mm ones, thats where I wound up getting mine. NB you need a 57mm one, not 58.

I would highly recommend getting a pl042, I was lusting after a silvia and rocky but this comes in $500 cheaper, and really can put out a fantastic brew.

+1

Had mine a month now. Love it more with each coffee it makes.

+1

mine is now 4 days old

only bad thing is I use to be a ONE coffee a day guy

now its

2 in the morning and one as soon as I get home and I have cravings during the day

Quote Originally Posted by 48554E47200 link=1281426064/3#3 date=1281481558
    +1

mine is now 4 days old

only bad thing is I use to be a ONE coffee a day guy

now its

2 in the morning and one as soon as I get home and I have cravings during the day
    Haha. I can see the same thing happening to myself in short order! ;)

Well looks like Ill get the Lelit. Cant wait! :D

yup, go the lelit, it is fantastic... ive been away from it for almost a week and experiencing seperation anxiety...

Long time reader, first time poster here so be gentle :-)

I seem to be in a similar position, with my current coffee machine dying a slow death.

Ive been weighing up between the Lelit Combi or the Silvia. Speaking with TalkCoffee, has me convinced both offer great quality output but Im still wondering whether having a built in grinder is limiting. I have a pretty ordinary grinder I could use in the mean time if I was to go for the Rancilio but I wouldnt be able to update this until well down the track as its just not budgeted for.

Any thoughts? Is the Rancilio worth the extra dollars? Is the grinder in the Lelit limiting? Is the hardware inside the Lelit of comparable quality to the Silvia?

Wanting to purchase a machine asap. Been a couple of weeks without one and morning walks to the coffee shop are killing my wallet :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 72584D5A5A4D525558575B5A340 link=1281426064/6#6 date=1281748469
    Any thoughts? Is the Rancilio worth the extra dollars? Is the grinder in the Lelit limiting? Is the hardware inside the Lelit of comparable quality to the Silvia?
    The grinder you have mentioned you say is "pretty ordinary" which is no good. You cant have a poor grinder and a good machine. Thats like putting Unleaded E10 in a Ferrari. If you go Silvia you NEED a better grinder because the Silvia (unlike the Lelit) is known to not be very forgiving as far as grind and tamp goes.
    The Lelit on the other hand has a built in grinder which is matched perfectly for the machine - otherwise it wouldnt be there.

Personally I dont think the Rancilio is worth the extra dollars UNLESS you are willing to spend the money on a decent grinder - $350+.

The built in grinder is a bit limited in that it has to stay where it is inside the machine.. its not something you can take off or detach and put away when you dont need it. This also makes it a little bit difficult for getting into for cleaning etc. Otherwise its great.. It can grind too course, it can grind too fine and it can grind to the perfect consistency.

As for the build quality - have a read of this link - theyre almost identical..

https://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/comparison.html

It comes down to whether you want to spend >$1200 for the ability to have many aftermarket modding options and support or pay <$900 to have the machine, decent grinder and convenience of one unit without the big name and mass support.

Good luck. Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by 755F4A5D5D4A55525F505C5D330 link=1281426064/6#6 date=1281748469
    Long time reader, first time poster here so be gentle :-)

I seem to be in a similar position, with my current coffee machine dying a slow death.

Ive been weighing up between the Lelit Combi or the Silvia. Speaking with TalkCoffee, has me convinced both offer great quality output but Im still wondering whether having a built in grinder is limiting. I have a pretty ordinary grinder I could use in the mean time if I was to go for the Rancilio but I wouldnt be able to update this until well down the track as its just not budgeted for.

Wanting to purchase a machine asap. Been a couple of weeks without one and morning walks to the coffee shop are killing my wallet :-/
    Apologies if I am off topic here.
    If you are worried about any perceived limitations of an inbuilt grinder, you can get a pl041 and pl043 grinder (which is pretty much the same gear, but separate) for a comparable price. If you want a better grinder, you can get whatever you like to go with the pl041. I would suggest that prospective owners compare apples with apples, in this case the pl041 with the Silvia rather than the pl042...

True Im not comparing apples with apples, Im probably looking more at the similar price range, and also the seemingly universal praise on here for both machines.

The grinder I have I believe is ok but to those in the know would probably scoff. Its a Krups GVX2.

From a couple of weeks using my pl042, my only real criticism is that its a bit rough in the fit and finish department. The stainless is cheap magnetic stuff, and theres a few sharp edges on it. It gives me the overall impression that it was designed to meet the Silvias level of performance and built to meet the Sunbeam etc. price point. Works absolutely flawlessly and looks the part though.

Maybe in your situation the pl041 would be a good starting point, and when you feel the current grinder isnt cutting it upgrade it down the line? Youll still be a couple of hundred bucks infront of having gotten the Silvia ;)

I was all ready to go for the combi, and then some friends threw in a few hundred extra as a birthday present, so i still went for the Lelit coffee machine without thebuilt in grinder and got a K3t grinder to go with it. in my mind its worth the bit extra to have a seperate grinder and machine, in case there are problems, and i have ample bench space, so there were no space isssues.

I decided against silvia because i couldnt see that its really a very different machine or worth the extra $$$, i thought it would be better to put the extra $$$ to a better grinder (as everyone here advises), plus, lelit seems to be more straightforward to use.
    Lelit looks great on my bench, yes, its a bit boxy, but in a kinda cool retro way... and from what i have seen so far, great build quality, easy to use and clean... and oh so shiny :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4351575F5F545501090803300 link=1281426064/11#11 date=1281919723
    I decided against silvia because i couldnt see that its really a very different machine or worth the extra $$$, i thought it would be better to put the extra $$$ to a better grinder ...
    Very wise, Grasshopper. You learn so quickly.. ;)

You will do well with this. I am only a noob. It is a week since I puchased an Electrolux Gallery builtin (manufactured by Zanussi in Italy). It has all the Lelit internals and already a bad cup of coffee at home is better than most you pay good money for.

I think you need to spend up on the grinder becasue from what I have worked out, the Lelit grinder uses the same burr set as the Iberital Challenge which sells for around $330 so you probably need to spend around the $500 mark to beat the Lelit grinder.

I think tonight was the first time I got close to foaming milk cloe to correctly. The secret I think is to purge the steam wand until you only get dry steam.

If I had the bench space I would certainly bought a PL041 and a grinder separate. 90% of the reason I bought the combi was bench space..
    Take most peoples advice and get the PL041 and a separate grinder - doing this allows you to have a better quality grinder and also be able to just upgrade the machine in the future as long as your grinder is decent. The only problem for me in the future is that Ill have to buy a machine AND grinder next time..