Thread: New boiler vs used HX.

New boiler vs used HX.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Good-morning coffeesnobs! Long time reader first time poster.
    For some time I have been looking at various machines to help with my morning caffeine fix. Using the advice and reviews given to others I have moved from buying the department store coffee machine to wanting something more.
    I have fairly well settled on the Lelit but after watching some used commercial HX machines going for the same or less on a famous auction site I am stumped.... Its not like I will be making that many milk drinks...
    Bench space isnt an issue, so is it worth taking the risk with an older machine? Especially seeing as it will be my first?

Re: New boiler vs used HX.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs adoom.

Doom? Could be an appropriate word if you dont know what youre looking for, if you can even look before buying from that site.

An auction house I visit auctions a LOT (pun intended) of used espresso machines.
    Having visited many times I can attest to the very sorry state most used machines are that they get in.
    Most of their stock comes from liquidations of businesses.
    Now that in itself may be an explanation as to the filthy condition Ive seen but they auction all "as is".

There are bargains to be had though as a lot of it is probably superficial grime and the underlying machine may work fine but they would be a project of love for a Coffee Snob as the initial cheap buy would be offset by plenty of time and maybe a few gaskets etc.

I did once manage to see a machine in the flesh from that website.
    It was fairly local, so handy, but typically of most of the ads Ive read, it was not set up to run so no demo was possible.
    Again, a possible "pig in a poke".

Have you noticed that a lot of the ads for used coffee machines on that site state the seller knows nothing about coffee machines and they are selling it for a friend?
    And the picture of the machine is usually on the driveway of their house?

Alarm bells ring very loud to me.

Being your first machine I say NO! Dont do it.
    You will probably disappoint yourself and that isnt a good thing.

Get the Lelit...learn some more...and if you feel like restoring a used commercial machine sometime in the future, youll be more well informed and prepared to do so.

My 03 cents worth.

What TG said.

But if you are mechanically/electrically minded then as a project that may make good coffee when finished then there is nothing specifically wrong with buying secondhand BUT. Dont buy one with pushbutton dosing as they can be prohibitive to repair if needed, also make sure of parts availability for any machine you are looking at. Lastly consider the possibility that you may be buying a hunk of scrap brass or copper so pay accordingly ;)

Buy the Lelit and if the right really cheap machine crops up to play with and rebuild over time then do it :)

Get the Lelit and watch the hardware for sale thread like a hawk - CSrs usually are pretty good at looking after their machines. Plus a new-ish Lelit will sell fast on CS.

Thanks guys for the advice!
    I am mechanically/electrically minded but I think that for now I will go with the Lelit, learn to ues it, and if I find the time will look at a HX purely as a project...

Now to go through the site sponsors to find the best price...

Chears!

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203772677/9#9

mmm.... might find one closer to home...

Thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee I now have a nice shiny new Leit!
    Cup by cup my coffee is improving but I will still be looking at the advice already given out to others....