Thread: Pulling multiple shots on single boiler (Gaggia Classic)

Pulling multiple shots on single boiler (Gaggia Classic)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, just want to get a sense of what people with a single boiler (i have a Gaggia Classic) do when pulling mulitple cups (>3).

a) do you pull all the shots before you froth, if yes, do you do a cooling flush between shots to make sure that the temperature is right?

b) pull a shot then froth milk then pull again

c) .......

Re: Pulling multiple shots on single boiler (Gaggia Classic)

I usually pull then froth then pull, so the espresso wont be sitting there for too long, but I believe you have to refill the boiler after steaming enough milk for two cups anyway.

I used to do them in pairs when I had a 300ml single boiler machine. Boiler refill after steam and pull an empty shot (15-20 seconds) to bring the boiler temp down quicker. Reasons not to pull all the shots first most smaller single boiler machines wont do a decent job of more then 2 coffees worth of milk. While this is slower the results are better and less chance of running a small boiler low in water and cooking the element :(.

Any more than 4 around I used to pull out the Plunger or now a Couple of larger Syphons for company at home.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6B6F606862776760690E0 link=1281500551/2#2 date=1281502520
    I used to do them in pairs when I had a 300ml single boiler machine. Boiler refill after steam and pull an empty shot (15-20 seconds) to bring the boiler temp down quicker.
    +1 for BeanF.. way

beanflying, that is a good advise. Did not consider the possibility of the boiler running dry. A quick question, does the boiler refill when you pull a shot?

I always wonder whether do I need to refill the boiler before steaming the milk, just to make sure that there is always water in the boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4A515D564D5B553F0 link=1281500551/4#4 date=1281503332
    I always wonder whether do I need to refill the boiler before steaming the milk, just to make sure that there is always water in the boiler.
    Wont that cool the boiler and mean a longer wait for steam?

as far as I know all single boiler machines refill themselves while running through the group (just like an electric hot water service), just not when steaming because the temperature is a lot higher and adding cool water will kill the steam.

You dont need to prime it unless youve been steaming, it is full or close to at all times when in "brew" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E38232F243F29274D0 link=1281500551/4#4 date=1281503332
    does the boiler refill when you pull a shot
    YES

When you punch the steam button the pump wont run so until you push the brew button again any water used will not be replaced (hence possible running dry). When you turn the steam setting off the pump will add cold water back into the boiler from the tank and by adding a little additional (blank shot) to waste past the group speeds up the temp drop for brewing again.

Not all machines are identical either so a little playing depending on what you find works for your setup may be needed.