Thread: BES860 always over extracting?

BES860 always over extracting?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I recently purchased a Breville BES860 after upgrading from an automatic machine...the wifes patience for anything fully manual prevents a more serious machine :) and I find the extraction is always sitting in the "over-extracted" zone on the pressure gauge and the extraction is never longer than about 10 secs and results in a bitter coffee. Iíve tested with fresh beans and also older supermarket ones to see if there was any difference. Iíve also tested with the single & dual walls and different grinder settings and making sure the coffee is in line with the portafilter and an impression is made in the coffee when inserted into the shower head.
    Is this normal for this machine or can someone who has one provide me with a few tips on how to reduce the pressure and extraction time?
    Cheers,
    Mr P

Re: BES860 always over extracting?

Hi, I have a BES820 - the model down without the built-in grinder.

10 seconds points to too coarse a grind and/or too light a tamp.

Does it say "over-extracted" or is this just the "red" area? My pressure guage doesnt have words or numbers on it, but I would go with the feel rather than the words. Try and grind finer / tamp harder until it gets closer to 20s (30s might be a stretch for this machine). I find this is just into the red on my guage.

Also, the bitterness might be coming from the grinder - I always find the Breville standalone conical burr grinder makes inconsistent sizes, meaning some could be getting burnt and bitter. Just how fresh are the beans and how are they stored (by the retailer and by you?)

And finally give it a good amount of time to warm up, and pre-heat the basket and group.

Just some thoughts - others will no doubt chime in :)

You probably arent using a fine enough grind, but also if you are using the crappy tiny plastic tamper you need to tamp like ten times around the entire rim of the basket, otherwise most of the water will take the path of least resistance around the compacted bit.

mr P, first up welcome to CS!!

dito to above :)

definitely sounds like a grind issue!! grind finer & tamp harder and then experiment from there to get roughly 25ml in 25 secs. ;) ;)

good luck, let us know how u go :D

one more thing -

Quote Originally Posted by 6E51534C5742574C230 link=1282020733/0#0 date=1282020733
    ...the wifes patience for anything fully manual prevents a more serious machine :)
    The breville is a "semi auto", but there are plenty of more serious machines that are also semi-auto. Check out volumetric machines for your next upgrade ;)

Welcome,

are you trying to use the double wall "crema enhancing" baskets? If you are stop is straight away and throw them in the bottom drawer. You will never get a decent extraction with these. They work badly and are not sensitive to grind or tamp adjustments.

If you werent using them then sounds like a Tamping problem resulting in severe channelling issues. Fix to that is get a proper Tamper check the dose weight at 16g then work on getting a grind size and even Tamp that gets you into the 25-30 second range.

Change only one thing at a time while you are trying to improve your shots. :)