Thread: Silvia upgrade, part replacement

Silvia upgrade, part replacement

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I noticed water coming out of my PIDed Silvia, so after investigating, I noticed the pipe connecting the pump to the boiler is leaking, and not from the thread.
    So I am trying to find a new one to replace this one. I have sent a email off to a few sponsors to see if I can get the part.
    I remember reading here somewhere, that someone replaced their one with longer tubing that they wrapped around the boiler. This heated up the new cold water a little, before going into the boiler. This then didnt drop the temp as much as cold water going in.
    Now my questions are,
    Is this worth a go, or should I just get the normal tubing?
    Im guessing I would have to use copper piping, so it wont melt touching the boiler, where could I find connectors for this?
    Any input would be great.

Re: Silvia upgrade, part replacement

Quote Originally Posted by 79695458535E3B0 link=1282448436/0#0 date=1282448436
    Im guessing I would have to use copper piping, so it wont melt touching the boiler, where could I find connectors for this?
    Any input would be great.
    Cant help with the Sylvia part but you should be able to get your hands on 1/4" copper tubing from an irrigation shop or plumbing supply place (eg. Reece, Tradelink etc). They should have the compression fittings for the copper pipe. If you cant get the right fittings, try a business called "Industrial Fittings Sales" who are in most states. They will defnitely have them.

The copper pipe is very easy to work with but once you tighten the fittings on, the collets wont come off again! Last time I used 1/4"" copper pipe was to make a home still but that is a bit OT :o

Hi there,

you could try a plumbing shop like tradelink etc that supply all sorts of fittings for copper / plumbing etc.
    Ciao
    Mouldy

TC

Any competent metal bloke should be able to do a braze repair on the pipe and it will be good as new ;)

The problem is, the pipe that is leaking is a braided rubber hose. So no brazing on this.

If its just the rubber fill hose they are common to an awful lot of Italian espresso machines in various lengths, Im sure someone will have one. I wouldnt go copper plumbing a vibration pump either, they are soft plumbed for a reason...

Well after contacting a lot of sponsors and non sponsors, tradelink, plumbing suppliers etc etc even sending email photos to a few places, Im still without a machine :(
    Have been in contact with the importers, back on the 27thAug and still nothing.
    I been given quotes from a couple of places ranging from $150-$300 just for the hose.
    Silvia can make a great coffee, but I would never touch them again.

Quote Originally Posted by 52427F737875100 link=1282448436/6#6 date=1290650035
    Well after contacting a lot of sponsors and non sponsors, tradelink, plumbing suppliers etc etc even sending email photos to a few places, Im still without a machine *:(
    Have been in contact with the importers, back on the 27thAug and still nothing.
    I been given quotes from a couple of places ranging from $150-$300 just for the hose.
    Silvia can make a great coffee, but I would never touch them again.
    Contact Alan Frew at Coffee for Connoisseurs in Melbourne, very helpful bloke Im sure he will be able to sort you out. ;)

The older Silvias just had a Teflon tube from the pump to boiler - could you use that rather than the stainless braided one?

CoffeeParts list a Rilsan tube which looks like its rated at 20 Bar - not sure if the sizes match - http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/hoses.html

Finally I just got a call after asking again how it was going, only to be told its ready.
    $30 + del. Bargain compared to the other options I found.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4B767A717C190 link=1282448436/9#9 date=1290749015
    Finally I just got a call after asking again how it was going, only to be told its ready.
    $30 + del. Bargain compared to the other options I found.
    Would you like to tell us who the supplier was? I find it hard to believe you had problems finding a part for such a popular machine.

I finally got the part from Grinders. Its a part that is not kept in Australia at all. Only found this out after asking about 10-15 coffee part/repairer places.
    Thinking of getting a Boema, at least the parts will be easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by 17073A363D30550 link=1282448436/11#11 date=1291116146
    Its a part that is not kept in Australia at all.
    But Grinders had one. ::)

They did eventually , as I asked to get one on the 27th of August, and just got it the other day. So I dont think they had it in storage here.