Thread: Keep the Classic? Or upgrade?

Keep the Classic? Or upgrade?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

First time poster here :)

For many years now Ive owned a Gaggia Classic and reckon it pulls a half decent coffee, when I operate it right, but still not as good as youd get in a good coffee house. As luck would have it I have a spare $1000, thanks to the ATO, and am considering a new machine. With this in mind I was wondering if anyone here can provide some guidance on the following:
    - A good machine for around $1000
    - Whether the new machine will pull a much better coffee then the Classic
    - Your opinion on whether I should simply save the $$ and get something even better at some point in the future.

Please note that I already own a good grinder.

Thanks in advance

Scott.

Re: Keep the Classic? Or upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by 6758784549414F5E2A0 link=1282466841/0#0 date=1282466841
    Please note that I already own a good grinder.
    Well be the judge of that. ;)

Which grinder do you have?

P.S. Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Welcome along :)

Best bet will be to get along to one of the Sponsors and have a play with their demo machines.

Only really 2 machines will fit your budget and offer a good improvement are the Gee (Boiler/Thermoblock) or the Nuova Simonelli Oscar (Heat Exchanger) machine. Both of these will go from Shot to Steam with no waiting and should get you a better coffee than you are currently getting. Your other choice would be to keep trolling the for sale section here for a better secondhand HX machine.

What TG said to what grinder? Even putting $$ toward a beter grinder should improve the shot quality on the Classicand then drive it till it drops.

If you can spend a little then get a Simonelli Oscar for sure.
    Otherwise a Lelit ($600) / Silvia ($800+) would be a smaller step up - or a GEE for a little bit more of an upgrade, ie. No wait between shot and steam.

welcome. :)
    La Pavoni Leva. youll never look back. *;D
    failing that.. ANYTHING with an e61 Group head. ([s]might[/s] will be a stretch to find an e61 machine for 1K$)

Quote Originally Posted by 686F6B646C667363646D0A0 link=1282466841/2#2 date=1282537809
    Best bet will be to get along to one of the Sponsors and have a play with their demo machines.
    I concur.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who replied :)

In answer to the first question - I have a Lelit PL53. But now Im being judged on it Im feeling inadequate ;) Youre thoughts on my grinder?

As for the other recommendations - maybe I could stretch the budget a little higher if I am taking a large step up in quality by moving to an E61.

My tax check is due in the next couple of weeks so maybe Ill check out some of the Melbourne based sponsors (if there are any...) or trawl this site for something second hand.

whenever anyone asks me about grinders all i can say is "get a mazzer mini" haha *;D
    but then im biased, and there are plenty of other grinders that are equally good for a simmilar price, just depending on what youre looking for.
    Im sure youve heard it before, but you really will notice a bigger difference in the cup by investing more in your grinder than espresso machines.
    with a good grind, i can get decent shots out of a little $200 breville machine.

Having said that, i have no experience with the Lelit PL53 and have heard that it does produce a decent grind, other people round here with more experience in this area can probly offer more asistance.

But thats just my $0.02, youre welcome in advance for me just walking you round in a circle and giving you absolutely no usefull information whatsoever. *good luck and happy spending. *;D ;D

The Lelit will be OK for a start but the MM or similar will produce a far more even grind (less fines/course) which results in better shots. So depending on how the budget goes then a grinder upgrade in the not to distant future will be money well spent.

Back to sponsors drop Talk Coffee a line and pay Chris a visit. Warning lots of shiny things to remove your tax refund + *;) The NS Oscar is available from Tonino Lamborghini Caffe in Melbourne too (I dont think Chris has them)

I wouldnt have thought that the silvia/lelit/Gee routes would be an upgrade. They are better machines and are better quality than the Gaggia but in principal they are the same. I doubt shot quality would be any different. An HX machine is definately where I would be starting.

The boiler on the lelit/silvia is 2-3 times bigger than the classic, GEE is more like 4x bigger, and they are all brass/SS. I would think that any of these would be a good upgrade (especially in steam capacity), but Id probably go a step or two further. Id try to upgrade sooner rather than later, youve probably drunk most of the classics aluminium boiler by now ;D