Thread: OMG Friends got me a Silvia!

OMG Friends got me a Silvia!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well i went to school today, regretting coming late (got a detention for it btw), and when i entered science seven of my friends surprised me with a late birthday gift of $800 to buy a silvia!!! OMG i went nuts!!! Didnt know what to say was soooooooooo HAPPPY!!!

I guess all that searching of coffee machines in class (on the labor government laptops *;) ) and making my hobby known paid off!!

However there is one big problem..... I have a cr@p grinder. A sunbeam em4000 (i think) which is a blade grinder. It grinds pretty good but takes a while to actually get all the coffee out of it. Help!!

Btw i will be getting in next week on Monday from DiBartoli!! Stop me if i shouldnt!! (Late cause got a stupid test, parents think ill get distracted) *>:(

P.S- Thank you Ali, Jason, Kirby, Mohammad, Scott, Jess and Ferrazi!!

Re: OMG Friends got me a Silvia!

Wow Orlando youve got some great friends there :) :) :)I bet they will all be around for some killer shots :D :D

Yea, theyre coming to my place when im getting it, i promised ill make a frappacino (starbucks style)!!

Is the grinder ok, though?

Nice one mate. Wish I had buddies like you!!

Flavour is subjective, if you like the results, who really cares, right?? If you love to drink the coffee you create then youre succeeding. If youre looking to blow your mates away with great coffee however, you might need to upgrade your grinder. Surely theyll let you know if youre not up to their high standards :)

You have a machine that is very capable of making great coffee. Try it with your current grinder. If its not what youre expecting, adjust your beans/grind/tamp. It will take you some time to get used to the Silvia anyway. If you cant hit the mark, you may have no choice but to buy a better grinder. A good grinder will make a huge difference.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 77726E71697477706174040 link=1283757833/2#2 date=1283763663
    Is the grinder ok, though?
    a blade grinder really isnt going to cut it (pardon the pun) for espresso as an even grind is critical and a blade grinder wont give you that. at a minimum youd want one of the sunbeam burr grinders em0450 or em0480 - preferably the latter - Ive seen the em0480s on special at around $180 or you might pick one up s/h in the CS forsale section when someone inevitably upgrades
    good luck with the machine though - unbelievable present from friends!!!
    one other option you could consider is a lelit combi - theyre a popular machine very similar to a silvia with a built in grinder. plenty of info on the site

Im sure Renzo or Ofra will tell you if you can get by for a short while with your current grinder.

The coffee wont taste as good as it could though with a proper grinder.

Short answer is I dont think your current grinder will do the job.

Dont let your money burn a hole in your pocket! Have you considered the Lelit? You can get an all in one (machine & grinder) for about the same price as a Silvia or the machine alone and have some cash left over for a decent grinder. cuppacoffee have them.

Silvia will be so frustrating without a decent grinder. The Sunbean EM450 or 480 really is bare minimum.

If youve only read about these machines, go along to a few places, have a go on different machines in your budget, talk to the guys selling them. I wish I had the opertunity to do that before I got started.

Also training is a great idea, and most sponsors would give you training on the machine to make sure you get a great start. Also remember to tell em your a Coffeesnob! You never know they might give ya a special price.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by 7C51535558595D300 link=1283757833/6#6 date=1283827588
    Have you considered the Lelit?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C51535558595D300 link=1283757833/6#6 date=1283827588
    cuppacoffee have them.
    Thanks for the plug Michael, but weve decided to discontinue stocking the Lelit.