Thread: 6910 group head chrome peeling and odd problem

6910 group head chrome peeling and odd problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Guys

Got a weird problem on a 6910. The chrome plating on the group head is starting to come away, not sure what this means however.

Also, have noticed that when turning off the steam tap it now takes about 4-5 seconds to fully stop steaming....never used to do this.

Machine has had about 30kg through it over the last couple years and has not had the anti-calc replaced, is cleaned every couple of months with Cafetto and de-scale tabs.

A_M

Re: 6910 group head chrome peeling and odd problem

Quote Originally Posted by 7D757C726565627E100 link=1284120065/0#0 date=1284120065
    Guys

Got a weird problem on a 6910. *The chrome plating on the group head is starting to come away, not sure what this means however.

Also, have noticed that when turning off the steam tap it now takes about 4-5 seconds to fully stop steaming....never used to do this.

Machine has had about 30kg through it over the last couple years and has not had the anti-calc replaced, is cleaned every couple of months with Cafetto and de-scale tabs.
    Some units appeared to have an issue with surface prep and may have had a second plating...

If yours is a few years old... Doubt any ability for a warranty claim and is in most cases - a cosmetic issue only. *Secondly if a few years old, the collar may be needing replacement any way.

If you do it, then look for the guide that was posted on cs a week or so ago.

If the steam is just excess pressure and not the pump still running.. Then scale is building up on the valve seat. *This happens with all systems to some extent. *There are pluses in this *;) *Means when ya finish steaming, it will slowly stop and ensure you do not suck milk back up the line.

Also suggests that YOU should be looking to replace or recharge the anti calk filter ASAP. *Only good for a limited time and location and water quality can play a big part in how often you should do it. *I recommend re charging every 8 to 10 weeks.

Remember the de-scale and back flush does not do the steam path, so my guess is you have a scale build up in the steam thermoblock and steam path way / lines.

Do not rush out and de-scale the steam as per other posts etc unless your prepaired for some real work. Because if you lift a big chunk it could block the steam pump... Which over time it will if you DO NOT MAKE SURE YOUR WATER is good and the ANTY-Calk filter is kept fresh and working...

But I would think about taking the valve shaft out and cleaning and do a re-lube / o-ring replacement if you feel it is needed.

OK, so I just replaced the group head seal and anti-calc filter.

One thing I have noticed is that it has a weird problem sometimes, and more so when i tip it on its back is that when i plug it in, turn the GPO it starts pumping water out the group head and I dont know how to stop it. Its done it now - not sure what to do!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 282029273030372B450 link=1284120065/2#2 date=1286190985
    OK, so I just replaced the group head seal and anti-calc filter.

One thing I have noticed is that it has a weird problem sometimes, and more so when i tip it on its back is that when i plug it in, turn the GPO it starts pumping water out the group head and I dont know how to stop it. *Its done it now *- not sure what to do!
    Your causing a short on teh control board and teh main driver is either being triggered to be fully on or a short is developing on the device...

There is either some fluid and or a bit of conductive material floating around..

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!

WHY on earth would one put it on its back AND apply power ??

IM not tipping it on its back and applying power

this was simply so i could change the group head seal, the water tank was out and the machine dry of fluid

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0E060F011616110D630 link=1284120065/4#4 date=1286192237
    IM not tipping it on its back and applying power

this was simply so i could change the group head seal, the water tank was out and the machine dry of fluid
    1: Well when one reads your post.. *It did sound like..

Quote Originally Posted by 0E060F011616110D630 link=1284120065/2#2 date=1286190985
    and more so when i tip it on its back is that when i plug it in, turn the GPO it starts pumping water out the group head and I dont know how to stop it. *
    So sorry if *I am confused... But my esp is not working so well to night.. *And thus I read your words as implied above...

Further more, unless you applied a vacuum and spent a day sucking all moisture from all the tubing... NO tank - does not mean the system is dry. *There is water in lots of little places and they do not like to be tipped over.

WHY tip it on its back in the first place ?????

No need to ever tip it on its Back or side..

If you end up with any conductive material around the driver triac... Water / stray conductive material, cocky sh!t, coffee dust , coffee oils...

Then you will cause a fault and can blow your machine up..

REPEAT: Never lay it on its side or back... * It is meant to be only ever in one orientation - Upright.

It is like a turtle... Roll em on their back and they are F$@ed *(a great way to keep them fresh and in one spot, while you continue hunting for a day or two... Just thinking about that sweet meat and yellow fat has me all salivating.. Got to go and catch up with some rels from the NT... Need real tucker once again..)

thanks for the tips AM, i guess i could have been clearer.

could you perhaps translate into English for me? how can i overcome this issue?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6A626B6572727569070 link=1284120065/6#6 date=1286194271
    ow can i overcome this issue?
    What issue ?

1: The fact that I can not get fresh turtle :-X

OR

2:
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A626B6572727569070 link=1284120065/2#2 date=1286190985
    Its done it now

If you mean - it is still doing it.. Then you have blown / damaged teh Control board.. SORRY.. But that is that..

OPTIONS.

A: Let it dry and sit with NO POWER for a day and then see what happens ?

B: Hand it to an agent and let them replace said control board > $150 to $220 at a guess.

C: WITH extreme care and an electrical person to check the work - remove and replace the board with a new one.. I think they are about $70 from a Sunbeam Agent "IF THEY WILL SELL THEM"

D: Get an electronics person to repair the board.. $5 for teh Triac driver...

I have an old spare EM6900 board and spare Triacs... But your a long way a way, and good turtles are in FNQ or NT ::) So be a month or two b4 I am down south again...