Thread: Temperature variation in single boiler machines

Temperature variation in single boiler machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just out of curiosity

is the temperature swing/difference common in all single boiler machines or is it just the Rancilio Silvia that have a huge range

ie do you need to temp/surf in other SBs like the letits/isomac zaffiros etc

from reading/searching around looks like its only the silvias which need a PID or is this just for people who are in search of perfection each time

reason I ask for a Pid silvia there is only a couple hundred and in it and you can get a fancy looking E61 machine

Re: Temperature variation in single boiler machines

Most of the original PID mods originated around 10 years ago in the US, Silvia was an inexpensive well made machine that produced good results, however the tinkerers got to work and developed the PID modifications and of course these became a must have, whether or not they produce better more consistent coffee than their non PID siblings is debatable, those that have paid their 300 hard earned dollars naturally say its a vast improvement, while others like myself who chose not to go down the PID path claim that the solution is in getting to know your stock standard Silvia well.
    As far as Im concerned Silvia served me very well for many years exactly as it came out of its original box.
    Cant comment on other machines but technology has progress since the days of the first Silvias, someone will correct me if Im wrong but Ive a feeling that one of the machines in this price range are manufactured with an inbuilt PID.

Quote Originally Posted by 5A475C55320 link=1284179660/0#0 date=1284179660
    reason I ask for a Pid silvia there is only a couple hundred and in it and you can get a fancy looking E61 machine *
    My feelings exactly. ;)

TC

Hi Hung,

For mine, the Silvia has had its day and no longer represents good value at the $$$ spend. It should start with a 7, not a 9 ::)

The GEE espresso does everything the Silvia does and more, but at Silvia price. It includes temperature control, pre-infusion, shot time control and you can go straight from shot to steam. It has a much larger boiler as well.

As you have suggested, for a little more than Silvia + PID, you have e-61 single boiler machines and at least the Domobar Piccolo and Perfetta are rheostat controlled. Once dialled in with a Scace device, these are deadly accurate and brilliant shot machines. We do that as part of our service.

Hope that helps...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7144494E7A664A43434040250 link=1284179660/2#2 date=1284184876

The GEE espresso does everything the Silvia does and more, but at Silvia price. It includes temperature control, pre-infusion, shot time control and you can go straight from shot to steam. It has a much larger boiler as well.
    Im interested to see how long they keep doing it for, not stirring or anything I was just a bit dubious about the unknown when I was shopping a couple of months ago. On the one hand you arent cycling the boiler to steam temp and back all the time, on the other its from SE Asia and has a thermoblock...

Quote Originally Posted by 001B1B0009610 link=1284179660/3#3 date=1284188748
    Quote Originally Posted by 7144494E7A664A43434040250 link=1284179660/2#2 date=1284184876

Im interested to see how long they keep doing it for, not stirring or anything I was just a bit dubious about the unknown when I was shopping a couple of months ago. *On the one hand you arent cycling the boiler to steam temp and back all the time, on the other its from SE Asia and has a thermoblock...
    I used to think the same way but dont any longer. Im not an electronics expert by any means, but Ive had a good look inside the GEE and it is well-built. Better in fact than others in the same price range as well as some HX machines.

If you were to buy a new computer, a new mobile phone, or any other device that has electronic circuitry inside, then I dont think anyone will be able to predict the life expectancy of one of the components.

Im interested to know what might constitute an acceptable life in your opinion?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 243F3F242D450 link=1284179661/3#3 date=1284188748
    Im interested to see how long they keep doing it for, not stirring or anything I was just a bit dubious about the unknown when I was shopping a couple of months ago.On the one hand you arent cycling the boiler to steam temp and back all the time, on the other its from SE Asia and has a thermoblock... *
    Craig, Dennis and I have all had a good look inside and independently given the machine a thumbs up and then made a commitment on behalf of our respective businesses. We also have many decades of experience between us and see the insides of machines on a daily basis.

Element, pump, thermoblock and board are all very reasonably priced components. The board could fail, but is no more likely to fail than the electronics in any other piece of equipment- including your car. Also, this machine is produced in Taiwan where they have a world leading reputation for electronics. The build quality is very good as well...

I really think that this is a little bit of knowledge kind of statement azzah. Perhaps you might enlighten us on the information used to come to your conclusions? *:-?

Chris