Thread: Just how far do i go !

Just how far do i go !

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, need some advice, I love a nice coffee but im not a fanatic I have two ways to go, Get a Rancillio Silva or just go for an Nesspresso or MAP Coffee cap Machine. My worry, I could spend $1400 on a Rancillio and grinder, but, would i get sick of the cleaning and just let it sit on the shelf or should I Go for a MAP Coffee Machine, Pop the Cap in push the button and there you go ! I like milk based coffees so do i need to get a Rancillio ????? I cant work out why this is so hard, all i want to do is make a nice milk based coffee, but the more i read the more confused it get. Thanks for your thoughts guys and girls :-/

TC

Re: Just how far do i go !

Quote Originally Posted by 4A7C6473721D0 link=1284367196/0#0 date=1284367196
    Hi all, need some advice, I love a nice coffee but im not a fanatic I have two ways to go, Get a Rancillio Silva or just go for an Nesspresso or MAP Coffee cap Machine. My worry, I could spend $1400 on a Rancillio and grinder, but, would i get sick of the cleaning and just let it sit on the shelf or should I Go for a MAP Coffee Machine, Pop the Cap in push the button and there you go ! I like milk based coffees so do i need to get a Rancillio ????? I cant work out why this is so hard, all i want to do is make a nice milk based coffee, but the more i read the more confused it get. Thanks for your thoughts guys and girls *:-/
    Eww....nasty, nasty stuff. *:o

It comes down to whether you want to drink something brown that resembles coffee- bad coffee that is, or whether youre prepared to make a small effort and produce brilliant stuff.

Do a search here on capsule, nespresso or superauto and youll have a good understanding of the compromises youd make...

Id suggest you visit your local sponsor to see how good it can be and then go back and try that capsule swill again....Let your taste buds make the decision...

Happy shopping wayno...

2mcm

Thanks 2mcm I keep going back to the rancillio, oh almost got talked into the as you put it Nasty stuff. I will keep on track and push forward for the Rancillio Silva. thanks you confirmed my thoughts

Wayno.... The first question as to "just how far do I go" ... How long is a piece of string!?? :D
    Ur writing on a website called CoffeeSnobs, not any coffee will do.com ;D
    For most of us here coffee is more than just a drink but q hobby & passion, its one of those things that for me and most here started off with no doubt some small cheap machine and has now taken mortgages out on I had a laugh. It become something that unites us all @ CS.
    But something that can be shared and enjoyed with friends.
    Really it comes down to how interested r u in it (possibly fairly as ur reading this site). U can always jump in the shallow end get a cheap machine and grinder and start there as ungrade as upgraditis takes hold ;D :D
    Enjoy the journey and have fun!!

Oh and the Silvia is a brilliant bit of kit!!!
    Search this site and YouTube for temp surfing to get best results. Also remember to get a good grinder- Rocky or better.

Quote Originally Posted by 44726A7D7C130 link=1284367196/0#0 date=1284367196
    but, would i get sick of the cleaning
    I can tell you that there is a lot more cleaning on the Nespresso
    KK

A_M

You could always follow the comments and feedback that Andy made on teh Aldi Auto machine ;)

A few hundred and then in a few months etc spend some what more; to get what you need VS want VS desire VS peer.

No matter how well you research.. There are always options that you failed to research :o

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 10263E2928470 link=1284367196/2#2 date=1284382456
    Thanks 2mcm I keep going back to the rancillio, oh almost got talked into the as you put it Nasty stuff. I will keep on track and push forward for the Rancillio Silva. thanks you confirmed my thoughts
    Pods are for whales - or jockstraps.

At the risk of being flamed, you do have a choice in the Silvia price bracket. Avoid buyers remorse and do a bit more research. And after, if you decide on Silvia you could have done a lot worse.

My first machine was a $99 sunbeam em2300. Great machine and certainly a good place to start. Let me assure you that preground from the supermarket will taste equally as good as the coffee from pod machines. This could be a good place to start and would be much cheaper. It will help you decide if you believe all the effort is worth it. Perhaps you could buy some fresh coffee from your local roaster and ask them to grind it for you. This will give you some idea of just what you can make from home and will help you decide to get a grinder or not.

Some on here would see that advice as blasphemy but in my opinion it is a safe option if you just dont know. That machine a few mods a $200 sunbeam grinder and fresh coffee will have you making 7/10 coffee. A silvia with the right person behind it will see 8/10 coffee and sometimes 10/10. On each of these machines you will likely make coffees that are far less than that. The only advantage of pods is that the coffee you made yesterday would taste the same as the coffee your 6 year old made you today on it. It might be 5/10 but if what you want is a consistent "OK" coffee then perhaps the pods are for you.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 586761667B7C4D507D6B7E77120 link=1284367196/8#8 date=1284426687
    My first machine was a $99 sunbeam em2300. *Great machine and certainly a good place to start. *Let me assure you that preground from the supermarket will taste equally as bad as the coffee from pod machines.
    Apologies for the edit.

Justin - In todays coffee machine market, and with the information available there is no need to start off in a less than a mediocre fashion.

Yeah fair call on the "bad" part.

P.S. mediocre to us is a different thing to someone getting into the market. If the only advice is to get a silvia at bare minimum for example there would be a LOT of people that miss out on the experience that is good coffee because they would just shy away.

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 0D3234332E291805283E2B22470 link=1284367196/10#10 date=1284439654
    Yeah fair call on the "bad" part.

P.S. mediocre to us is a different thing to someone getting into the market. *If the only advice is to get a silvia at bare minimum for example there would be a LOT of people that miss out on the experience that is good coffee because they would just shy away.

Yep - this is true. I dont know about the Silvia being a bare minimum though. I would have thought it more of an excellent entry level machine. But I dont think Wayno is talking from a budget point of view.

The point Im trying to make is that for someone who is wanting to get serious about their coffee, and cares enough to read CS, a pod shot (as apposed to a god shot ::)) is probably not the best way to do it.

But I can see your point too. I started out with a second hand Gaggia Classic and a $99 grinder. Back then, if someone had told me to buy a $3000 Aurora and a Mazzer to get good coffee, I would still be drinking Nescrappe. (Well - maybe not quite).

And some people just dont care. My sister-in-law just bought a new $3000 super auto to replace her other $3000 super auto because she didnt like the buttons or something. And she only drinks black coffee!