Thread: Silvia and Rocky with Campos Superior

Silvia and Rocky with Campos Superior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Question to all Silvia/Rocky users,
    Curious to know what everyones settings are for Campos Superior beans..

1) Rocky dial setting? - Im using about 12 clicks from 0
    2) How long after boiler light comes on for you pull - Im at about 20 secs (My boiler sensor is at about 100 degrees on the way up).

Im using the standard double basket. Dose, loosen up with paperclip. Level off with index finger. Light tamp. About 25 sec extraction.

Cant get the same taste as the Cafe. Will try the Pullman double basket later today. Heard the cafe uses triple baskets? Maybe just needs more coffee. :)

Re: Silvia and Rocky with Campos Superior

Quote Originally Posted by 3D373831232423253B393D33560 link=1284949455/0#0 date=1284949455
    Cant get the same taste as the Cafe.
    Dont expect to.

One of the best espressos I ever tasted was made with my home roasted beans.
    Ive never managed to make one quite as good.
    But then again I dont have an LM FB80 at home.

Im not after perfection, but something on the same par as a cafe that use Campos beans. Every cup from the Silvia tastes burnt. Running too hot? Thought 108 oC on the Silvia boiler was perfect. Ideas?

Site Sponsor

may be you should look at the follow:

* Cool flashing - water temperature
    * Routine - number of times tapping in the table
    * Amount of coffee in the basket and distribution
    * Tamping
    * Age of the coffee

Good luck.

regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Apart from Renzos good advice:

1) The standard Silvia basket should be replaced with a better (larger) one;

2) Try grinding a little coarser and tamp firmer (opposite to what you are currently doing)

3) Im sorry, but your current setup will never produce coffee on a par with a cafe whose staff are very experienced and have invested 10x the amount on equipment. You should however, expect to be able to make a very nice coffee with your setup.

4) You can try a different bean from a different roaster and find that their coffee is more compatable with your equipment and also produces a coffee you enjoy.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 6B616E67757275736D6F6B65000 link=1284949455/0#0 date=1284949455
    Im using the standard double basket
    Definitely the first thing to change - after that, play around with the dose and surfing technique to see what gets you closer to the taste you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 6B616E67757275736D6F6B65000 link=1284949455/0#0 date=1284949455
    How long after boiler light comes on for you pull - Im at about 20 secs (My boiler sensor is at about 100 degrees on the way up)
    Concensus on the best surfing technique changed at some point over the last few years - pulling on the way down appears the better choice (backed up by the likes of Jim at PID Kits who has stuck more thermocouples/data loggers onto a Silvia than is strictly necessary).

Without a Gronk, just flush for a few seconds (the worst of the over temp steam/water) after the boiler light goes out then lock and pull.
    It sounds like you may have a Gronk since youve quoted temps - I used to flush aiming for a particular temp (which depends on how well/where your thermocouple is attached, but was 102*C for me) then lock & pull.

Just play around with the flush time/temp to see if you can get closer to the taste.