Thread: Spending $1500 on machine....Thinking Isomac Zaffiro??

Spending $1500 on machine....Thinking Isomac Zaffiro??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone new at CS.

I have been doing a lot of reading on different machines as atm i have a Sunbeam Cafe Series machine, and grinder, whilst I became quite good at making some nice coffee i want to take to the next step.

I have a budget of around $1500 for the machine, however may consider spending a bit more if have some solid justification :).

Through my search I have become quite attracted to the idea of purchasing an Isomac Zaffiro, although have also seen some second hand Rocket Giotto premium for a similar price.

So i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some feedback/advice on the way to go, I live in Sydney so would appreciate some good stores that i could go in and check out.

Cheers

Re: Spending $1500 on machine....Thinking Isomac Zaffiro??

Try Di Bartoli and Jetblack.

You might need a better grinder; what have you got now?

Welcome :)

Depending on what Sunbeam you are using be aware that with the Zaffiro there is a decent delay when going from shot making to steam and back again. So if you want to make several coffees on the run with milk it will be fairly slow. So if you are running the 6910 it might seem like a pest.

Much as it has a plastic case which may not suit the cheapest Heat Exchanger (steam and shot at the same time) is the Nuova Simonelli Oscar at circa $1300.

As TG mentioned get along to one or more of the sponsors and have a look play feel of the machines. Also Cuppacoffee and Coffee Parts in Sydney.

det

Hi Celtic

From your wording I take it your current grinder is a Sunbeam Cafe Series EMO480? Assuming it is and assuming you drink milk coffee of some description:

I have just been through a similar process. I was originally using an EMO480 and Saeco Via Venezia with a group handle mod. (no crema enhancer)a basic machine and *similar in process to any single boiler regarding heat up time for steaming milk/priming boiler to do more shots etc.

For about the last 6 months I have been using my partners Sunbeam 6910 with my EMO480 grinder. She drinks lattes in the morning I usually drink macs or piccolos or espresso.

A few days ago I went to a Macap M4 grinder and Silvia machine. Although the quality of the espresso itself in the cup is massively improved I do miss the ability to extract and steam milk at the same time or very shortly after.

I love the Silvia, for all its idiosyncrasies, however in retrospect I could have just bought the M4 grinder and teamed it with the 6910 with the next upgrade being a heat exchanging machine. Grind/ bean quality/technique being arguably bigger factors than the machine.

If you are regularly making more than two milk drinks at a time an option might be to invest as much as possible in a grinder upgrade to begin with then a heat exchanging machine later to match your rock star grinder!

Welcome "Celticguy".... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As per what all the guys have already mentioned above, something else to consider at that budget point would be a Nuova Simonelli Oscar - An entry level Heat eXchanger (HX) machine. There are quite a few owners here at CS and held in quite high regard at this echelon... Pretty sure that more than one of our Site Sponsors sell them so you may be able to get a demo arranged depending on where you may be, in relation.... :)

Mal.

Ditto ditto ur grinder is hugely important!! Somake sure have a good one. There are better machine around for just a little extra check out the domobar junior quality of both machine and shots and last a lifetime.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, I have an EM0480 sunbeam grinder, hosted I realise from my research I will have to upgrade that is mot included in the 1500, Im budgeting around 600 to 700 on a new grinder. But my plan was to prob discuss a complimentary grinder to the machine I choose. I drink both espresso and milk based, normally make only one coffee but on occasion may make several.

The way I am looking at it is a long term investment, something (with the right care) that will last me a very long time, so am willing to put off a little longer and spend more money for the perfect set up for me instead of having to upgrade few years down the track.

As per your advice I will go and check out some of the stores. :) thanks again for the guidance.