Thread: Calling PIDd Silvia owners, Im unsure what shot temp to pull at..

Calling PIDd Silvia owners, Im unsure what shot temp to pull at..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Got a basic Auber PID. Seems fairly stable and predictable idles +-1 degree once machine is warmed up. I current have some locally roasted beans, a medium roast by Chiasso in NZ (they make great roasts). So.. I am totally confused at what temp to pull at. My testing shows if PID shows idle at 104c i get definite pronounced flash boil out of the group head (chlchlchlchchhhhhhh...). If I set to 103 and wait 10mins for the machine to stabilise the flash boil is probably 85-95% gone, just a second of a flash boil I can barely see or even hear. So.. 104 definite flash boil 103 almost completely gone, knowing this what is a recommended shot temp setting for med. roast? 103,102,101,100,99,98? Im not sure what will get me in the ball park.

As a newbie I am also struggling to get flavour out of the extractions. I have a doserless Rocky grinder and have purchased a larger double basket than stock. I dose 1/4 jiggle, 1/2 dose jiggle, full dose jiggle, then keep dosing over lip.. I then straight edge over the top and medium tamp. That gives me around a 1.2oz ristretto. I then flat white that into a 150ml ACF cup. Im just not getting anywhere with flavour so that is why I am requesting help on temp settings hoping that wrong temp is my weak link. Any advice from a Silvia PID owner would be great!

Re: Calling PIDd Silvia owners, Im unsure what shot temp to pull at..

Hi Beaker, and welcome.
    Im running a Watlow with the thermocouple mounted on top of the boiler. The standard brew temp is set at 108, although with my current beans, Im getting very nice results with a temp of 109.
    Not sure about your comments re flash boil, but this doesnt seem to be an issue, flavour wise, from my machine. I suspect that by the time the brew water reaches the puck, it has dropped to the required temp. If your brew temp is too low, you will not be extracting the full flavour profile from your beans - so that may account for your lack of flavour.
    As far as dosing goes, I use a double synesso basket which I half fill, tap down then overfill, sweep off level with my finger, and tamp. This consistently packs down to the level of the ridge in the basket, which I find is just right.

Some food for thought...

Good info, I may pull a shot at 107 or so to see what happens. I am getting conflicting info over this flash boil stuff. They say if steam is coming out of the group then its too hot, but maybe this does not matter as its going to drop quickly in temp as it goes. If you left your machine idle at 109 do you get boil/steam coming out of the group? Just curious. Thanks!

i get maybe 1 second worth of steam flashing from the group head at 107-108 and as far as im concerned the flavour is very nice. over the 30~ seconds it takes to brew your shot the temp will drop, you need to have the initial temperature higher in order to have a brew temp that doesnt drop too low. Its all trial and error until you find your sweet spot. Play around with your machine a bit. Sorry that i cant be of more help.

To answer the question about steam from brew head at idle, this should be no different to steaming, ie no steam unless you hit the brew switch.
    Generally my machine sits for an hour before I get around to brewing, and the only leakage is from the steam arm if its not closed sufficiently. Having said that though, I always have to dry out my group handle prior to dosing, as there is always a small amount of hot water in there (it sits in the goup all he time). Never a great amount, so hasnt been a cause for concern over 3 yrs.
    Its a bit OT, but I can post photos of the steam gasket after 3 years of use, if anyones interested. I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago.