Thread: Lelit Combi or Lelit PL041E and Rocky

mt

Lelit Combi or Lelit PL041E and Rocky

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Can I get advice on this. Is it better to get a Lelit PL041E and a grinder like a rancilio rocky for about $100-$150 more or get the Lelit Combi?

Bummer about it being a 57mm basket, (fewer aftermarket toys, when I learn what I am doing, I had a laugh!), but I saw Pullman has some nice looking deluxe tampers that have 57mm covered. Also the internals are very similar to the Silvia, just alot cheaper, marine brass boiler took me away from aluminum/brass combination on the Gaggia Classic which appears prone to corroding after a couple of years and I wont be upgrading anytime soon.

Basically what is the quality of the grinder, Im guessing it is better to get the Lelit PL041E and rocky, but just want confirmation.

A_M

Re: Lelit Combi or Lelit PL041E and Rocky

Some extra research for ya.....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1270809870

PS. I reckon for teh money... Plenty of better grinders available as well.

Have a read here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=grinders

mt

The first link is not much help, asks more questions than answers, but the second led me on an intersting journey, could you clue me up on grindersaround the $400-$600 mark. Are you hinting that the Compak K3 Touch is the grinder to get?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 445D290 link=1286013034/2#2 date=1286090054
    The first link is not much help, asks more questions than answers, but the second led me on an intersting journey, could you clue me up on grindersaround the $400-$600 mark. *Are you hinting that the Compak K3 Touch is the grinder to get?
    All depends on what you need VS Want...

As to clue you up..

Go read all teh grinder posts...

I would not look at a grinder under $1.2k if I had teh choice ::)

mt

I read a fair few posts, looks like the rocky and compak seem logical choices. Wantto pair it to a lelit or will buy the lelit combi instead and cease the pain of deciding.

if youre going to spend the extra on a spereate lelit and grinder, then i would go for the k3t over the rocky.

If you jsut want an easy all in one, relatively inexpensive option get the kombi.

i ended up with the lelit and k3t because i decided i didnt like the idea of having my machine and grinder all in one unit, i figured if either grinder or machine broke id prefer to be able to replace them seperately. the other factor was that i got a $400 budget boost from some friends a a birthday present, so spent the extra on a really good grinder.

hope this helps, but at the end of the day you sohuld go with what YOU think will work best for you.

My first machine was a Quaha Napoletana II (identical to Lelit combi internally) which I chose for its small footprint, integrated grinder, one power cord, higher WAF (Wife Approval Factor). I never found the grinder to be inadequate but it was certainly fairly slow, and it was a great first machine. Anecdotally its about as fast (or slow) as the Rocky; the Compak will be a significant step up in terms of build quality (metal, not plastic), and the grind should be faster too. I wouldnt hesitate to take a K3 over a Rocky unless my budget absolutely restricted me to $450 for the Rocky.

Some say the Combi is bad because if the grinder breaks the whole machine is down, and you cant upgrade one component without upgrading the whole machine. Thats true though I never had breakages or felt the need to change just one part. If you subscribe to either of those views then get the machine on its own and get a standalone grinder, then if you outgrow it and move onto a larger machine you can still keep the Compak (youd likely want to change the Rocky if you changed machine up later so +2 to the Compak).

Consider doser vs doserless too - there are other threads on that so I wont go into it here but think about what youre going to want more. Having used the doserless on the Quaha and dosered Compaks and Mazzers I prefer having the doser to break up clumps, and does allow you to grind ahead into the doser if you have a few coffees to make all at once (i.e. next drink or two, not talking about filling the doser here!)

Good luck,
    Greg