Thread: Gaggia Classic Portafilter handle flys out of grouphead under pressure

Gaggia Classic Portafilter handle flys out of grouphead under pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought a secondhand Classic and it seemed all good but the handle started getting hard slowly moving from lock position and exploding out under pressure. I tightened the screw in the grouphead a little and it seemed to work for a while but now its happening again. Previous owner said he did the seal so do you think its the wrong seal or maybe its not in properly. I certainly was working fine for a while. When it was working the handle was in approxiamately the 7 oclock position.

Re: Gaggia Classic Portafilter handle flys out of grouphead under pressure

Kind of sounds like the seal is too thick - the previous owner might have used a 10mm thick seal rather than the 8.5 or 9mm ones. The handle should at least make it to 6 oclock or past on these Gaggias.

Given that new seals are cheap, it makes sense to do a replacement and make sure the new one is properly seated... You should also check that no shims have been used under the seal as those could also cause it to be too thick (and might not immediately come out when you pull out the current seal).

Thanks, I am now trying to get the seal out and having trouble. Can you tell me which was to untighten the two allen key screws clockwise or anti on these?

I managed to take everything appart and the seal is the correct size and it was pretty clean however when I cleaned it a while back I took the shower screen off and I think just maybe I put it back the wrong way. I can get the group handle in to nearly 6 oclock so Ill see how it goes.
    What can I say Im a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by 73786279636369100 link=1286473003/2#2 date=1286477937
    Thanks, I am now trying to get the seal out and having trouble. Can you tell me which was to untighten the two allen key screws clockwise or anti on these?
    Morning Kiwi,
    Clockwise should tighten (turn to the right to make it tight) :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 777C667D67676D140 link=1286473003/3#3 date=1286492566
    I managed to take everything appart and the seal is the correct size and it was pretty clean however when I cleaned it a while back I took the shower screen off and I think just maybe I put it back the wrong way. I can get the group handle in to nearly 6 oclock so Ill see how it goes.
    What can I say Im a girl.
    Then your at home here, 90% of CSérs are but not game to admit ;D :D ;)

Just remember Fresh beans and do not over dose...

If it is too hard to lock in then the build out of pressure with a system that does not have a TRUE 3 way will often cause a teh group to unwind... So to speak.

Keep up teh great work.

The seal looked fine not sure how you tell if the seal is stuffed. The guy I bought this off said the machine was 2yrs old. I have my doubts because the on/off switch and the froth switchs have the symbols both nearly worn off. He also said he had just renewed the seal. It looks o.k another thing I notice is every now and then I get a hiss of steam come out of the portafilter area. What would that mean? I just had to put a new steam valve in it because steam would leak out of steam arm even when the steam switch was off. This thing is causing me problems. Might be a lemon. Any tips and tricks welcome here. :(
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the alluminium boiler to rust?
    not sure I like the thought of water coming out of a rust boiler,
    Thanks

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 22293328323238410 link=1286473003/6#6 date=1286738157
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the alluminium boiler to rust?
    Rust / Corrode etc all take time and not a real issue if you manage teh water and look after your machine.

Follow correct descale and cleaning procedures.

As to your steaming issue.. You need a Gaggia Classic user to respond as I do not have enough experience hands on to add any thing further to what I have already posted.