Thread: Is my pump buggered ?

Is my pump buggered ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have recently purchased a Mokita Combi second hand, has been running like a dream until today when i decided to adjust the grinder as shots were coming up a bit short of 30 ml in 30 sec.

As i was pulling a few shots (maybe 10) & traveling coarser with my grind i did not notice any more volume.

I tried doing a simulated shot with no portafilter but still only coming up with the same volume (scratches head).

Returns to original grind setting, no crema, low volume/flow.

Is my pump buggered or am i missing something here :/

A_M

Re: Is my pump buggered ?

Quote Originally Posted by 6D7C61776A61647360050 link=1286504752/0#0 date=1286504752
    I have recently purchased a Mokita Combi second hand, has been running like a dream until today when i decided to adjust the grinder as shots were coming up a bit short of 30 ml in 30 sec.

As i was pulling a few shots (maybe 10) & traveling coarser with my grind i did not notice any more volume.

I tried doing a simulated shot with *no portafilter but still only coming up with the same volume (scratches head).

Returns to original grind setting, no crema, low volume/flow.

Is my pump buggered or am i missing something here :/

How does teh pump sound ?? Same or labouring ?

If you were overdosing maybe you have choked and had coffee fines up in teh shower head.

Do some user maintenance and clean ya shower screen etc and double check you water supply etc..

Thanks for the help Anger,

i checked the above, screens clean, pump sounds as normal when pulling a shot.

Water supply is good, is suction fed, tank is full & no kinked lines.

I have gone one further, removed the pump & ran it on its own, the flow rate is 40ml per 10 sec, the flow can be stopped with my finger (but only just) & yes i have water all down the front of me :D.

according to alans destructions on his site the flow rate should be near double that

(quoted from alans site)
    "Now it’s time to check the “WATER DEBIT.” Basically you’re looking for the pump to push 60 –100ml of water out of the group in 10 seconds"

the dude i bought the machine off never descaled the machine either & is 4 years old, not sure if this matters

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 796875637E75706774110 link=1286504752/2#2 date=1286512068
    Thanks for the help Anger,

i checked the above, screens clean, pump sounds as normal when pulling a shot.

Water supply is good, is suction fed, tank is full & no kinked lines.

I have gone one further, removed the pump & ran it on its own, the flow rate is 40ml per 10 sec, the flow can be stopped with my finger (but only just) & yes i have water all down the front of me :D.

according to alans destructions on his site the flow rate should be near double that

(quoted from alans site)
    "Now it’s time to check the “WATER DEBIT.” Basically you’re looking for the pump to push 60 –100ml of water out of the group in 10 seconds"

the dude i bought the machine off never descaled the machine either & is 4 years old, not sure if this matters *
    Ran it on its own... 240V and you have water all over teh place :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Do a descale of your system and if your lucky with teh right descaler the crap that is causing issue with the vibe pump may be removed OR not.

After that - A replacement..

What sort is it ?

I picked up 3 nice pumps last week... Council clean up... Just about every domestic and semi prosumer coffee machine has a solid red type 3. In abut 500M I found 3 coffee machines being tossed!!!

I scored some pumps, collar for an EM4800 and odd bits for my box of emergent parts ;D

After that I placed teh "shells" on teh footpath. Blow me down if they did not go within the hr.. It was like the old days with people and trailers cruising, just looking for stuff...

yeah well hey, i got no coffee, a blokes gotta do sumthin for a kick :) i work with live stuff regularly for my work so i am a trained professional (at getting zapped)

Descale? wasat, guess i will troll the forums & the web for a guide, i guess i am looking for good proper coffee machine descaler stuffers & not something i could easily grab in my town here wich is in the never never (kempsey :-[)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 43524F59444F4A5D4E2B0 link=1286504752/4#4 date=1286516700
    yeah well hey, i got no coffee, a blokes gotta do sumthin for a kick :) i work with live stuff regularly for my work so i am a trained professional (at getting zapped)

Descale? wasat, guess i will troll the forums & the web for a guide, i guess i am looking for good proper coffee machine descaler stuffers & not something i could easily grab in my town here wich is in the never never (kempsey *:-[)
    Drop down to a coffee shop and see if ya can beg / borrow 50 or 100g of de-scaler... Most may only have a back-flush cleaner..

Any number of the sponsors may be able to provide a small quantity ?

Coffee parts does plenty...

Or another CS in ya area may be able to assist..

PS. Electrons are great at making you wake up or killing you ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 7B545D5F48775B545B5D5F575F544E3A0 link=1286504752/5#5 date=1286517017
    Quote Originally Posted by 43524F59444F4A5D4E2B0 link=1286504752/4#4 date=1286516700

Descale? wasat, guess i will troll the forums & the web for a guide, i guess i am looking for good proper coffee machine descaler stuffers & not something i could easily grab in my town here wich is in the never never (kempsey *:-[)
    Drop down to a coffee shop and see if ya can beg / borrow 50 or 100g of de-scaler... Most may only have a back-flush cleaner..

Any number of the sponsors may be able to provide a small quantity ?

Coffee parts does plenty...

Or another CS in ya area may be able to assist..

PS. Electrons are great at making you wake up or killing you *;D

Coffee shop? or snob in my area giggled like a schoolgirl, there are only 2 cats & a dog in my town & none of them drink coffee.

The pump is a (VISKA Model E, type XS 2/1 min CI.F, 48w) little red fella.

managed to find some (NSF Cafetto espresso clean) but by the looks its a detergent based cleaner & not for descaling.

Thanks heaps Anger ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2B3A27312C27223526430 link=1286504752/6#6 date=1286521253
    Coffee shop? or snob in my area giggled like a schoolgirl,

there are only 2 cats & a dog in my town & none of them drink coffee.

The pump is a (VISKA Model E, type XS 2/1 min CI.F, 48w) little red fella.
    So you drink alone ? *" GEORGE THOROGOOD "

You can pull these pumps down... But be careful and on a clean bench as bits and pieces have been knows to be lost forever..

Sometimes the slug and spring can have some scale and that stops the free movement.

If ya foock it up.. * PM me ASAP and I can have an OLD second hand but working spare of sorts in the post Saturday morning.... You pay postage... *(Maybe some de-scaler for good measure.. )

After that you got the option of INSTANT. *Nescafe Green is OK so some tell me *;D :D ;)

PS. Some days ya should never get out of bed; unless to go fishing *8-)

Yeeeeeeeeah Yeeeeeeeeeeeah all by myself, with nobody else :D

i pulled the pump down, didnt find anything too bad (to my knowlege) the large piston that runs in the plastic bore appeared to have some unusual wear on the entry side like it had been struck on some rough concrete :/ although it appeared to move freely within the bore.

i pulled the pressure release side down to reveal the spring with rubber seal on end & the outlet side down to the teeny taper spring & weeny white ball, blew out with some compressed air & noticed that there is another one way valve on the outlet side (as i could only get air to travel one way trough the body, this valve appeared to be behind the weeny balls seat, maybe that pressed apart or was threaded somewhere & needed removal with footprints or vice grips or such, it seemed operable so i reasembled it & put back in the rig with the same flow rate & pressure, being not enough for a shot (wipes sweat off forehead & hangs tonge out toungin 4 a coffee :()

Done a google on the descale bit & ran across a dealer of this machine who suggested to use citric acid.
    curent status: "backflushing"

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 796875637E75706774110 link=1286504752/8#8 date=1286533945
    i pulled the pump down, didnt find anything too bad (to my knowlege) the large piston that runs in the plastic bore appeared to have some unusual wear on the entry side like it had been struck on some rough concrete *:/ although it appeared to move freely within the bore.

i pulled the pressure release side down to reveal the spring with rubber seal on end & the outlet side down to the teeny taper spring & weeny white ball, blew out with some compressed air & noticed that there is another one way valve on the outlet side (as i could only get air to travel one way trough the body, this valve appeared to be behind the weeny balls seat, maybe that pressed apart or was threaded somewhere & needed removal with footprints or vice grips or such, it seemed operable so i reasembled it & put back in the rig with the same flow rate & pressure, being not enough for a shot (wipes sweat off forehead & hangs tonge out toungin 4 a coffee *)
    Is this any assistance...

Ulka pump repair

Anger, shes a goer mate :D after 2 goes at it i managed to get the spring bent sweet enough to hold that little "worn" ball to seat correctly ;D

Your a bloody legend & a champion googler ;) hi five to you & Thankyou.

(enjoys a bloody nice coffee :))

Just a note, for anyone else that may have the same problem, i emailed allan frew of coffeeco & he was kind enough to throw me this info & link

If your water debit is below 60ml, new pump time.
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/vibrating-pumps.html , cheap as.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 67766B7D606B6E796A0F0 link=1286504753/10#10 date=1286547654
    Anger, shes a goer mate *:D after 2 goes at it i managed to get the spring bent sweet enough to hold that little "worn" ball to seat correctly *;D

Your a bloody legend & a champion googler ;) hi five to you & Thankyou.

(enjoys a bloody nice coffee *:))
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 67766B7D606B6E796A0F0 link=1286504753/11#11 date=1286549031
    Just a note, for anyone else that may have the same problem, i emailed allan frew of coffeeco & he was kind enough to throw me this info & link

If your water debit is below 60ml, new pump time.
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/vibrating-pumps.html , cheap as.
    Been in your situation my self... Thus along with many others, saved in fav with many many other links..

As to parts etc Yep.. Coffee Parts they are a site sponsor and have a fair selection for most models.

PS. Thanks for the Thanks and follow up.