Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: em6910 rubber seal

  1. #1
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    em6910 rubber seal

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

    Thought I should post a pic here of my 6910s rubber seal to ask for opinions. Does it look stuffed/need replacement? Its about 12 months old. And water is leaking when espresso extracts.

    Thanks heaps everyone.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    123

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Yep.....l can see 2 indentations in it ......1 at the bottom of the pic and to the right @ 3 oclock, though the group seal doesnt look too bad

  3. #3
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Thanks.

    Just didnt know if its bad enough to warrant a change. Also, what do you mean when you say the group seal doesnt look too bad?

    Does anyone know where I can get a group seal in Melb, preferably CBD? Dont wanna purchase online cos posting will take ages. Im rather impatient with the machine and would like to fix the prob asap as my espresso is diluted with water now that water leaks from the extraction!! So pissed off. Do you think the water leak is because of the indentations on the rubber seal? I hope it is.

  4. #4
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 4A4452401213210 link=1286780665/1#1 date=1286781681
    Yep.....l can see 2 indentations in it ......1 at the bottom of the pic and to the right @ 3 oclock, though the group seal doesnt look too bad
    The dark area to the right of 3 suggests that the seal is split and that the inner shower screen is breaking through.

    Can you post a pic of the whole collar and seal ?

    DO NOT *PLACE MACHINE ON ITS SIDE OR BACK.


    PS. Also looks like the vent hole is blocked with coffee fines ? *Use some fishing line to loosen up.

    How dirty were the two screens ?

    PS. What do you mean 12 months.. Every 6 months is teh go...

    Go to teh Sunbeam web site look for service agents and select teh drop-down and see who is in your area..

    Quote Originally Posted by 544E41370 link=1286780665/2#2 date=1286782842
    Do you think the water leak is because of the indentations on the rubber seal? I hope it is.


    NO. I am going to guess - It is because of the indent and split or miss alignment of teh inner-shower screen and teh seal.


  5. #5
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Sorry, went for dinner.

    Anyway, sorry pardon my lack of understanding about names of parts, but which exactly is the collar and seal? And AM, you mentioned "The dark area to the right of 3 suggests that the seal is split and that the inner shower screen is breaking through.

    What did you mean? Because I detached the whole rubber seal thing (blue piece), and umm, I dont get what you mean when you say the INNER shower screen is breaking through.

    Well the shower screens were pretty dirty, there was a layer of dried up mud like thing, but I cleaned it off and now both pieces of shower screens are squeaky clean. Was there anything else I should do, besides changing the rubber seal?

    I tried dosing less and reducing tamping pressure after putting everything back together and the leak was significantly less. Does that imply something?

  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 362C23550 link=1286780665/4#4 date=1286795698
    Well the shower screens were pretty dirty, there was a layer of dried up mud like thing, but I cleaned it off and now both pieces of shower screens are squeaky clean. Was there anything else I should do, besides changing the rubber seal?
    As I said... Look at teh hole.. It looks blocked or full of crud.. SHOULD be clean.

    READ all the posts re collars and shower screens etc.

    Then do a full chemical back-flush clean or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by 362C23550 link=1286780665/4#4 date=1286795698
    I tried dosing less and reducing tamping pressure after putting everything back together and the leak was significantly less. Does that imply something?
    Still suggest ya seal (blue Si ruber) is split... Where the inner SS screen fits, teh edge will be cutting through the seal...

    Points of interest are marked. and they all mean something different. Would appear that you you have been overdosing and causing coffee fines and crap to works its way into the system. Lack of correct user maintenance etc.

    Suggest you download teh Sunbeam Users manual and do some reading.






  7. #7
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Hi AM,

    I just took out the ss, and the hole doesnt seem to be stuck with anything inside because I can push the pin right through the hole.

    IS it maybe the angel of the picture thats making it seem as if its dirty?

  8. #8
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 48525D2B0 link=1286780665/6#6 date=1286865754
    Hi AM,

    I just took out the ss, and the hole doesnt seem to be stuck with anything inside because I can push the pin right through the hole.

    IS it maybe the angel of the picture thats making it seem as if its dirty?
    That is good...

    When you remove teh Blue seal and you flex it in your fingers ... WHO deep are teh groves and in particular in the area that is darkened (in the pic) at 3 oclock

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Hey AM, what happens if the seal is not replaced every 6 months ? If its not leaking is there any reason to change it ? Mine is 22 months old and is fine - am I bad ?

  10. #10
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 222334342F2A233E460 link=1286780665/8#8 date=1286875734
    Hey AM, what happens if the seal is not replaced every 6 months ? If its not leaking is there any reason to change it ? Mine is *22 months old and is fine - am I bad ?
    YA real naughty *;D

    Knowing you.. It may well be OK *:)

    Like many things.. Usage / Cleaning / OVERDOSING and general use will have an impact.

    If one does not understand and or know their system, then with a leak etc. *One will get asked about the seal in any TS steps*:o

    The one at work would be about 18months old and we use a *spacer as well...

    The issue is that some NEVER check and if so, then extrapolate that out and you often find the following;

    Shower screen cleaning *::)
    Quality Water *::)
    Backflush with chemical *::)

    However I expect, your on top of all of that.

    NOTE: Always check how they feel. Not sure if it is teh cleaning chemicals or what - but some seem to go sticky and start to pull apart and get so soft they do not seal correctly. Have seen it a few times..

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Are you saying that Im anal. Just because I chemical clean every week, clean my screens before and after ( and once between chemical cleans), descale every 1 - 2 months, never overdose and spend 4 hours descaling the steam side ???

    Now just to show how bad I really am. I have never recharged the filter and I use tap water. Bwahahahahahahaha. Bad to the bone.

  12. #12
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 363720203B3E372A520 link=1286780665/10#10 date=1286879556
    Are you saying that Im anal. Just because I chemical clean every week, clean my screens before and after ( and once between chemical cleans), descale every 1 - 2 months, never overdose and spend 4 hours descaling the steam side ???

    Now just to show how bad I really am. I have never recharged the filter and I use tap water. Bwahahahahahahaha. Bad to the bone.
    You made me fall off my chair ;D

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Did you keep hold of the soldering iron though ? for that is the mark of a true professioal

  14. #14
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 070611110A0F061B630 link=1286780665/12#12 date=1286884412
    Did you keep hold of the soldering iron though ? for that is the mark of a true professioal
    Na.. it slipped out and I made teh mistake of trying to grab it ;D

    BOT

    cyv how is it all progressing ?

    A better pic of teh collar.. The chrome bit that the lugs lock into... And it might show if there is excessive loss of shape and deformation. This can also cause the system to leak as not enough pressure can be applied to seal due to distances being out of spec.

    AM

  15. #15
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Hi AM

    Thanks for asking. As mentioned earlier, took out the ss again to clean and re fit it back. Tried to clean out the hole that was supposedly stuck but the pin seemed to have gone right though so I dont suppose its stuck.

    As requested, this is another pic (hopefully clearer). Let me know what you think of this pic....

    Also, made a coffee after doing all that today, again I reduced the dose and tamped softer, this time no leak at all. So Im still undecided between whether or not its my dosing problem or the blue rubber seal issue.


  16. #16
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Heres another pic too.


  17. #17
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Too much bling... Err shiny chrome ;D

    Hard to tell, but looks like a small amount of distortion, but minor..

    It appears that you have not removed teh seal between all teh shots ?

    As The small imperfections are in teh same location ?

    I am also getting the feeling taht the inner SS is not being fitted correctly, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong..


    I always remove teh seal... smear in a good safe grease and or rice bran oil and the place teh inner SS shower screen into the seal. That is teh lip should fit into the grove in teh seal...


    This is where the seal will ware and can be cut / split, so it is important to take case and fit it correctly. Then I slip over the main SS shower screen and then lift teh 3 as one unit and gently force up and in.

    You can usually hold in place with one hand and get teh screw in by hand... Enough to hold it in place.

    DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!

    Let us know how you go.


    PS. If not leaking and ya getting a good shot in the cup.. You could just turn a blind eye and know that in teh future... You have to change a seal 8-)

  18. #18
    cyv
    cyv is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    You mean you unscrew the ss and take out the rubber seal between EACH shot you make?!? What/why?! I mean, sounds pretty time consuming but I may have understood you wrongly. Did you mean I didnt seem to have taken out the blue rubber seal between my shots? I did, but ummm, not sure what youre trying to say.

    Didnt know I could assemble the inner ss, main ss and rubber seal as one piece before fitting it up into the grouphead. Is that safer/better option? Because I did one by one, ie, rubber seal first, the inner ss then outer ss and then screw on.

    Sorry about the bling, haha its the flash!

  19. #19
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 rubber seal

    Quote Originally Posted by 29333C4A0 link=1286780665/17#17 date=1286890861
    You mean you unscrew the ss and take out the rubber seal between EACH shot you make?!? What/why?! I mean, sounds pretty time consuming but I may have understood you wrongly. Did you mean I didnt seem to have taken out the blue rubber seal between my shots? I did, but ummm, not sure what youre trying to say.
    I meant the shot as in teh picture ;D

    Not as in between each shot of coffee... That would be time consuming..

    As when I look at each of teh 3 pictures, the seal appears to be in exactly teh same position in the head...


    Quote Originally Posted by 29333C4A0 link=1286780665/17#17 date=1286890861
    Didnt know I could assemble the inner ss, main ss and rubber seal as one piece before fitting it up into the grouphead. Is that safer/better option? Because I did one by one, ie, rubber seal first, the inner ss then outer ss and then screw on.
    I have found that when trying to hold up / push in teh inner shower screen, you can get it slightly off alignment and thus pinch and cause damage to the the seal, when the rest of it goes in.. Not unlike what your picture shows.

    Just try it and see..

    greased seal and place on a clean surface - then place the inner screen into place. The edges should fit cleanly into the inner grove of teh rubber seal. If you have a new one you can see that the grove is not deep and is moulded... An old seal will show how teh edges have cut into the rubber and have nicks around it if you have assembled incorrectly...

    Trust this makes things clearer 8-)



Similar Threads

  1. VBM Domobar Super - steam wand drip / rubber seal
    By garbage in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th January 2013, 09:38 AM
  2. New EM6910 Seal - too tight!
    By iggs in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 30th January 2012, 04:43 PM
  3. em6910 seal in caffeto?
    By anuyadav in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th December 2010, 10:11 AM
  4. Leaky Silvia - Assuming Rubber Seal - Can you help?
    By nelo784 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11th March 2010, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •