Thread: How long does Lelit combi take to warm up in the morning?

How long does Lelit combi take to warm up in the morning?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am pretty sure that I will be getting the Lelit combi after much "research" on this site. I was just wondering if any one can advise how long the boiler takes to heat up when it is turned on for the first time each day? Just ball park figures ie are we talking 10 minutes or 30 minutes? Also how long before the steam is ready for frothing after you have pulled a shot?

Re: How long does Lelit combi take to warm up in the morning?

Hi Mishky,

Its been a couple of years since I had my Lelit. The boiler (technically) is heated up within a few minutes, however, you need to give it at least 20 minutes for the whole system (including brew head) to be fully warmed up. On the Lelit, the boiler is situated directly over the group so its a bit quicker than other machines (eg Silvia) and, in my experience, more temperature stable.

One thing that you can do in the mornings is have your machine on a timer switch, set it to switch on about 20 mins or so before you get up (making sure the night before youve filled the tank and dont have the brew, steam or hot water switches on). I still do that with the Giotto, no problems, ready to go when I stumble to the kitchen.

From recollection, after pulling a shot and switching on the steam, it takes about 20 secs or a bit more for the steam to be up to speed. About the time it takes to knock out the puck and pour your milk in the jug. (And dont forget to switch off the steam and re-prime the boiler after steaming.) Of course, if you want to then pour another shot, the boiler takes about 10 mins to come back down to a stable brew temp.

Good machine, the Lelit, mischky. Makes really good coffee, great simple unit.

Greg

Thanks for that Greg. My husband can turn it on when he gets up (about half hour before me ) so that is not a problem. I see there is a 10 minute delay between shots, but I assume this is fairly standard on machines in this price bracket ? ( I have never had a coffee machine before so I am learning as I go ). One thing I have noticed is that no one has a bad word to say about the Lelit!

Quote Originally Posted by 1B2E252532141C2A223F2E384B0 link=1287648761/2#2 date=1287655553
    Thanks for that Greg. My husband can turn it on when he gets up (about half hour before me ) so that is not a problem. I see there is a 10 minute delay between shots, but I assume this is fairly standard on machines in this price bracket ? ( I have never had a coffee machine before so I am learning as I go ). One thing I have noticed is that no one has a bad word to say about the Lelit! *
    It really depends mishky.... ;)

If you want to make two Single Shot Cappas or Lattes in the morning, then this is easily accomplished in about 5 minutes all up. If you want to make two Double Shot milk drinks, then this will take an extra minute or two but wont take it up to 10 minutes.

With my Mokita (same machine, different badge), I could make 4 Single Shot Lattes ready to serve in 8 minutes or less, so Im not sure where the 10 minute number is coming from..... :-?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 14212A2A3D1B13252D302137440 link=1287648761/2#2 date=1287655553
    I see there is a 10 minute delay between shots,
    The 10 minutes is the time the machine needs to cool back down to brewing temperature from steaming temperature. I suspect that this can be shortened by pumping water through either the steam arm or the group head and hence feeding new cold water from the tank into the boiler. Accuracy might be a bit of an issue here, but if a repeat is urgent then ...

Greg

Ok the time delay doesnt seem to be a "deal breaker" as most of the time I would be making two coffees any way - and the most would be 3-4 when visitors come. I think the small delay is worth it for a decent coffee. If I have a larger crowd around they either wait or have plunger coffee.

Remember that to make two coffees (and possibly four) at one time, you would pull the coffees first, then heat to steam the milk all at once. Result--no cool down time needed until the next round.

Greg

So much to learn! May have to invest in a beginers barista course methinks...

Sorry about all these questions guys, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the grinder on the combi to grind coffee for a drip filter if necessary?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5A6F646473555D6B637E6F790A0 link=1287648761/8#8 date=1287873166
    Sorry about all these questions guys, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the grinder on the combi to grind coffee for a drip filter if necessary?
    No reason why not mishky,

Only issue is with the micrometric adjustment, you will probably get RSI getting there ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 44717A7A6D4B43757D607167140 link=1287648761/8#8 date=1287873166
    but can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the grinder on the combi to grind coffee for a drip filter if necessary
    If it is anything like my Ibiteral or Ascaso think 16-18 full turns between the two ;)

This was my thinking as well in reasearching the Combi - use the grinder to make a daily "baggy" for a plunger coffee at work. Havent done it yet because of the mucking around in the morning *- and - it was such a labour initially to get set up Im reluctant to change the setting too much at this stage - prefering to play with the grind only slightly.

There are lot of turns to get it there and back (mmm cordless drill in the shed - connect chuck to the grinder shaft - probably not on my $900 machine)

Made my best cuppa yet yesterday, I think you might even class the milky stuff on top ... microfoam! *

I reckon that the steam wand on this machine and its restricted travel is a trap for beginners but it is definately doable. Having said that its my first machine, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I think the small jug (350ml) is a good start