Thread: My first machine, Help please!!

My first machine, Help please!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am so overwhelmed with coffee machine buying. We have a machine (baby gaggia twin) but the owner wants it back so I am now kinda forced to buy my own haha.

I love the look of the Breville BES820 and the Rancilio Silvia but I have read review after review and now am utterly confused. The one thing I am holding back with on getting a Silvia is the measuring of the coffee shot myself, I like that the Breville measures it for me. I also dont live anywhere where I could get the Silvia in person and I am weary of dishing out so much money only for it to possibly be damaged in postage.

Is the Breville an ok machine to invest in? Should I just bite the bullet and deal with the Silvia being a full manual machine?

Argh! I hate making decisions with money! I had a laugh

TC

Re: My first machine, Help please!!

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1288576633/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

What is your budget?

Do you have a grinder?

Do you have a source for fresh roasted beans?

What style of coffee do you want to drink, long black, flat white, espresso?

How much interaction with the espresso making process do you want?

Hi Trish,
    I suffered the same delema, everyone told me the Silvia is the way to go in this price range, thats the way i was going to go until i was Just pure lucky and triped over a Gaggia Classic for $200 and im over the moon with that. I rang one of the site sponsors and they were great on the phone, provided good advice on the silvia told me the things i needed to watch out for and seem to understand that I wanted some help in making my mind up. They Post to anywhere in Australia and cover your purchase with insurance. give them a ring and Like me I think you will be very happy with their service and support even if you dont purchase from them they are happy to talk and provide advice.
    Give Coffee-O-Roma a ring or check out their website. Im sure other sponsors who sell Rancilio would also help you out. There were to many negative reports on the Breville for me. Check out the Seattle Coffee Gear site on youtube they do a couple of tests on the Breville and one on the Rancilio.

Cheers Wayne

Trentski, No budget as such but would prefer to not spend over $1000 as no, I have no grinder either. I can get freshly roasted beans through my BIL.

What type of coffee, I love cappuccino, Flat white and Latte. Will also be using the machine for frothing milk for hot chocolates.

Interaction wise, It doesnt really bother me, I know how to do the lot as I have worked with bigger machines in a cafe before but I do need to refresh my skills as its been about 5-6years ago now.

Wayne, What do you think of your Gaggia Classic? We are using a Baby Twin now and I like it but it has pieces missing (part of the steaming wand has been removed so its difficult to use now as the steaming wand is so short now)

I will go and check out the Coffee-O-Roma website and possibly ring too, Thanks :D

TC

Hi Trish,

I think your needs would be well met with a Lelit Combi. Plenty of CSers own them and they are pretty highly regarded. They do represent great bang for buck.

You will also have some cash remaining for coffee and the bits and pieces you need.

Chris

I agree with Chris, its pretty hard to go past the Combi at the moment. It is said that the new Silvia isnt as good as the old ones, but if you were looking second hand then Silva is still a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by 04313C3B0F133F36363535500 link=1288575901/5#5 date=1288586248
    I think your needs would be well met with a Lelit Combi. Plenty of CSers own them and they are pretty highly regarded. They do represent great bang for buck.
    agree 100%... get some free advice when buying your machine and you will be pulling some great shots by the end of the day

Hi,

I think you will be disappointed with the steaming ability of a Breville - the 820 is a single boiler machine so if you going to do steam without making coffee first it takes even longer to warm up. Youre experience with cafe machines (which are usually always on) might make you regret something cheap :) That said, I have the 820 and its done me ok.

What do you mean measure the shot? A good rule of thumb is just fill the basket to the top, then tamp it down. Not much measuring to do! Baskets are made to be filled, and measurements are only estimates. Trail and error will determine what is best for your setup.

Oh, I think you mean timing the pour? Well I dont use the shot timing of the Breville anyway, which is not volumetric by the way its only timed. So start counting to 30 and cut it out if its going pale in colour! Dont get stuck on the numbers game - the variables change every so slightly with each cup.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else about the 820 you want!

Trish I just love the Gaggia classic, found it in a department store in a box that said parts missing, the only thing missing was the plastic Tampa and the Plastic bit on the end of the steam wand. I have just ordered the Rancilio Steam arm from Coffee Parts in Syd, cost me $46.00 and fits straight into the Gaggia with the adapter bolt they provide. Its a much better steam arm than the Gaggia im told, so just waiting for it to arrive so i can fit it. I, like you read many reviews on this and other sites. Think it was info over load because it only confused me more than i was, as i said, i had settled on getting a Rancilio until i found the Gaggia Classic and at $200 plus $180 for the Sunbeam EMO480 grinder, Im as happy as can be. And my wife still loves me ! She can live with $380.00. Just checking around looks like you can get the Gaggia Classic from around low 500 up to arround 800 with many places having them on special at the moment.

Good Luck with your search
    Cheers Wayne

Trish,

Just noticed a Gaggia Classic on Ebay for $300 buyit now ? :)

Oooo, The Lelit is so nice! Annnd I have approval from BIL haha! (Hes a barista and has a commercial Rancilio which he uses)

Thanks heaps for pointing it out!

Oh, Places to buy it from, Is Jetblack an ok place to buy from?

Thanks Wayne, Will do some more research too however hubby saw the pic and link of the Lelit that I emailed and he loves it haha

Now not sure what to do I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 092F342E356F685D0 link=1288575901/11#11 date=1288593490
    Is Jetblack an ok place to buy from?
    Absolutely...they put me onto their supplier of Lelit in QLD. The advice youll get with your machine should u choose the lelit will be unbeatable

Trish,

If your in Sydney the they sound like a great option but you should choose someone close(ish) to where you live so that when you want repairs/upgrades/training they are easy to get to. Just something else to consider.

Cheers

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by 10081E15120E1F18180F120E5D0 link=1288575901/13#13 date=1288595322
    Quote Originally Posted by 092F342E356F685D0 link=1288575901/11#11 date=1288593490
    Is Jetblack an ok place to buy from? *
    Absolutely...they put me onto their supplier of Lelit in QLD. The advice youll get with your machine should u choose the lelit will be unbeatable
    Awesome :D

Brett, Im actually in Mackay so possibly dont have alot of places close by for servicing ect but I will definitely do some research into that. I may have to get them done in Brisbane but thats ok, Ill shop while Im there I had a laugh!

I just bought a Lelit combi Trish and I love it. It makes beautiful coffee and creamy microfoam , the grinder is easy and makes very little mess, and it fits very neatly on the kitchen bench. With very little practise I was making excellent coffee on this machine. Highly recommended.

Cool, Mishky :)

Oh, With the machine (lelit) can you get the coffee flowing at the same time as doing the milk or you have to do one first then the other?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6B4D564C570D0A3F0 link=1288575901/17#17 date=1288608475
    Cool, Mishky :)

Oh, With the machine (lelit) can you get the coffee flowing at the same time as doing the milk or you have to do one first then the other?
    Hi Trish,

To get simultaneous shots and steam, your options are the Sunbeam 6910 (read potential time bomb) or a step up to a heat exchanger (HX) or dual boiler machine and the good ones start at around $2k. You would then need a good grinder as well.

The GEE espresso may suit as it allows you to go straight from shot to steam, but when you add a grinder, youd blow the budget.

We have sold a heap of Lelits and I think theyre the best starting combo under $1k if you are buying a new machine.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I think I will start off with the Lelit and then later on hubby and I can always upgrade :)

Let us know how you how life is with the Lelit when you finally get it. Its on my wish list.

Gary

Gary, Definitely will :)

I forgot to ask too, We live out of town so only have rainwater as our main water supply, This is ok to put through my machine? I am assuming because its not town water its not filled with as much gunk as town water would be?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 1B3D263C277D7A4F0 link=1288575901/21#21 date=1288648582
    Gary, Definitely will :)

I forgot to ask too, We live out of town so only have rainwater as our main water supply, This is ok to put through my machine? I am assuming because its not town water its not filled with as much gunk as town water would be?
    Should be fine Trish assuming you are running some filtration to remove the gunk from the water.

2mcm

Oh yes, Theres a filter set up but we are going to be replacing it as itd getting old.

Trish you cannot run the coffee and steam the milk at the same time, but the time delay is minimal IMO and I have certainly not been bothered by it. If you want to do two cups just run both coffees first and then do the milk. Believe me it is not much of a delay before the steam is ready. I have also been asking a lot of questions and the consensus seems to be you wont get a faster machine without spending heaps more as Chris has pointed out.

Is there many stockists for the lelit? Both jetblackespresso and talkcoffee are now out of stock :(

I was hoping I wouldnt have to wait until almost christmas for one I had a laugh

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 092F342E356F685D0 link=1288575901/25#25 date=1288679228
    Is there many stockists for the lelit? Both jetblackespresso and talkcoffee are now out of stock :(

I was hoping I wouldnt have to wait until almost christmas for one I had a laugh
    Ours are arriving on Thursday Trish :)

Chris

Oh! Wicked!

How do I secure one?

Im waiting on funds to arrive in my account for it but should definitely have funds by tomorrow evening

As you are finding Trish, ALL of the sponsors here offer good service and helpful advice. Its one of the things upon which Andy insists BEFORE hes willing to have them!

Enjoy your machine. Remember to refill the boiler after steaming, and it should last you a good long time--unless upgraditis strikes. ;D

Greg

I hope upgraditis doesnt strike too soon haha, My bank will not look very healthy at all if I upgrade too soon haha.

Trish, you wont be disappointed with the Lelit Combi which is what I purchased from talkcoffee 2 weeks ago. My heart was pointing towards the Silvia, but the fact that the Combi is fully self contained, without having a separate power cord for the grinder, was the deciding factor. It really is a well made machine that is beautifully finished and presented, especially for the price. One of the reasons I was also going for the Italian machines was the fact they have marine grade brass boilers as opposed to aluminium units used in the Chinese machines. Aluminium doesnt like continuous contact with water, as electrolysis can eat away the metal with some of it possibly being consumed along with the coffee. I could be wrong on the last comments and will stand corrected if needed.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 0D2B302A316B6C590 link=1288575901/25#25 date=1288679228
    Is there many stockists for the lelit? Both jetblackespresso and talkcoffee are now out of stock

We have the "E" series Lelits in stock. We are just out of stock of the EM series (with gauge) until first week of December.

charlie