Thread: Buying a gift

Buying a gift

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Dear CoffeeSnobs,

I want to buy my partner a machine for xmas, my budget is about 700$ max. We donít have a grinder however I can source fresh roasted beans where I live (Albury-Wodonga) and have them ground to different grindy types? Iím not sure if you should grind as you drink though because I know nothing.

He drinks Latteís when he buys them from the store or espresso when he makes them at work for himself. It would only be used on weekends and occasionally during the week by me, although he might start having morning coffee. I know that he hates high pressure steam blasting when trying to heat milk.

Iíve been looking at different machines and reviews but itís all so confusing because there are just so many different types and I want to try to get exactly what he wants except he hasnít hinted aside from the fact he really wants a machine.

If you need any more info Iím happy to give it.
    Thanks.

Re: Buying a gift

The breville fresca is around that sort of money with a grinder (not that I am a huge fan of it but it is ok) apart from that you need to go down to the good guys or myer and see what is in your range there. None of these machines will deliver high pressure steam but with good technique you can get great milk for your lattes.

You wont find a lot of love here for pre ground coffee as it goes stale very quickly and to get great coffee minor adjustments through the day are needed in the grind to keep the coffee tasting good so guessing when you buy the coffee just doesnt cut it. But with your budget you are going to have to make compromises.

If your not doing anything on Sunday you should come for a drive to Wagga for our Snobs catchup and you can play with some serious hardware and have a look at some cheap coffee makers which will give you better coffee than a machine and preground.

Cheers

Brett

Sunbeam is doing the free grinder promo again on the EM6910 machine - until the end of Jan according to the website. That would probably be the best deal for $700.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D333E312630315F0 link=1289192448/1#1 date=1289197287
    The breville fresca is around that sort of money with a grinder (not that I am a huge fan of it but it is ok) apart from that you need to go down to the good guys or myer and see what is in your range there. None of these machines will deliver high pressure steam but with good technique you can get great milk for your lattes.

You wont find a lot of love here for pre ground coffee as it goes stale very quickly and to get great coffee minor adjustments through the day are needed in the grind to keep the coffee tasting good so guessing when you buy the coffee just doesnt cut it. But with your budget you are going to have to make compromises.

If your not doing anything on Sunday you should come for a drive to Wagga for our Snobs catchup and you can play with some serious hardware and have a look at some cheap coffee makers which will give you better coffee than a machine and preground.

Cheers

Brett
    Thank you very much for the invite however were going to Melbourne for the weekend to see a gig perhaps another time =D