Thread: Trying to decide: 6910 vs Silvia

Trying to decide: 6910 vs Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After my old 1980s commercial machine cracked the boiler on Sunday its now time for us to get a new machine.
    Wanting something smaller than the old double group head machine, as we are thinking of moving to a smaller house, without plumbed water/drainage for the coffee machine.

Looking at the Silvia, and TBH if it was just for me i woudl get the Silvia hands down, but my wife sometimes struggles with getting the settings right on the bigger machine, and i was thinking that maybe the 6910 would provide more consistent brews for a novice user.

Currently the 6910 is on sale for about $680, and comes with a free EM0480. The grinder doesnt phase me much as i already have my own modded EM0480 and so would probably look to sell it off or something.

Ive heard about the Lelits too, but i cant find much information on them. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Also, being in Adelaide it strikes me that there arnt many distributors around (i spent a lot of time in Melbourne where there were many more). Anyone able to recommend me a good distro in Adelaide?

Caffeine Junky

Re: Trying to decide: 6910 vs Silvia

Hi takai, I dont think anyone sells the Lelit machines in Adelaide but I havent had my finger on the coffee-pulse much lately so could be wrong.

The Lelits are good machines and very similar to the Silvia. In terms of their operation it is effectively the same for both machines. For the extra $100-200 I would go the Silvia, slightly better build quality and commercial size group (easier for spare parts and accessories). Great re-sale value too.

$680 for the Sunbeam combo is tempting but I would highly recommend an extended warranty. Youre then looking at several weeks each time there is a repair required.

The 6910 would probably be easier for your wife to operate - not as many steps required compared to the single boiler machines. In my hands the quality of coffee with the 6910 or Lelit is similar even though they are completely different beasts.

If it were me Id buy the Silvia and just make my wife the coffee each time she wanted one (which is actually what I do).

Caffeine Junky

I should also have said that Id highly recommend you visit Coffee Craft who are also our sponsors in Glandore. They sell the Silvia as well as many other very nice shiny looking machines. Just be careful you dont walk in there to get a Silvia and come out with something 3X as expensive.

Thanks CJ. I went to a coffee supplies place today (which will remain unnamed) to have a look at the Rancilio Silva, and TBH if the service i got was anything to go buy i would run screaming and buy anything else.

Ill give Coffee Craft a go tomorrow.

Also, what is the purge cycle like on the Rancilio vs the others? Oh and can you get bottomless groupheads for the Rancilio?

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 35202A2028410 link=1292888656/3#3 date=1292910368
    Thanks CJ. I went to a coffee supplies place today (which will remain unnamed) to have a look at the Rancilio Silva, and TBH if the service i got was anything to go buy i would run screaming and buy anything else.

Ill give Coffee Craft a go tomorrow.

Also, what is the purge cycle like on the Rancilio vs the others? Oh and can you get bottomless groupheads for the Rancilio?
    Im guessing I know the place you went to and am not surprised. The guys at Coffee Craft are very passionate and will give you good advice and are price competitive.

You can definitely get bottomless handles for the Silvia. Actually Di Bartoli have them very cheaply at the moment
    http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=162

I was at this decision point less than 12 months ago. I went the 6910 - cause it was a bit cheaper. If I had my time again, I would have gone the Silvia for its extra durability.

Hm, the reliability issues of the 6910 are really a bit of a turn off.

I was also at this decision point less than 12 months ago, and went with the Silvia and Im happy with mine.

I wasnt sure if the Silvia was worth the extra $, but I now feel it is.

This review might interest you, its fairly detailed and unbiased.
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

The Silvia has better steam quality, temp stability when extracting and a better rep for reliability.

I also have the em0480, and although it is the bare minimum grinder you would want to pair with a Silvia, you can still get good results with the right technique.

I have a bottomless pf and it is a weapon, highly reccomended.

Quote Originally Posted by 407D79796D140 link=1292888656/7#7 date=1292935066
    I was also at this decision point less than 12 months ago, and went with the Silvia and Im happy with mine.
    Ditto that post.
    Once my Sunbeam EM4800 died I spent 10 months on a plunger deciding between the Silvia and the 6910.
    Luckily I had the opportunity to baby sit 2 6910s for more than 2 weeks. Sure, they did a good job, but every time I was scared it would break on me. The pump noise could wake the people in the house down the road, and the steam..... Pass.

I got a good deal on a New 08Silvia and have never, ever been disappointed.
    It is currently paired with an EM0450 and doing fine. New grinder in the not too distant future though.
    Silvia FTW ;)

Reseach it carefully. You have to have a relationship with the Silvia, learn to make her quirks routine and you will love her. :-*
    Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by 72676D676F060 link=1292888656/6#6 date=1292920764
    Hm, the reliability issues of the 6910 are really a bit of a turn off.
    What reliability issues are you referring to? I think post volume for the 6910 is more a function of the sales volume than the quality, especially if buying new.

I bought a 2nd hand (and fairly un-cared for) 6910 18 months ago, and aside from me overdosing and blowing the collar out, it has been a dream. Very accessible, plenty of advice and help available through the CS archives on how to get the best out of it.

+1 for the much maligned 6910.

;)

I was a Silvia user for five years - four and a half of which it had a PID.

I struggled all that time trying to tame her to no avail :-[

She was finicky and unpredictable - rarely had a decent cup from her. Yes, I had a good grinder if the Rocky qualifies ;)

When the PID gave out I bought the EM6910 and voila! I discovered I could get great coffee from the Sunbeam without too much drama.

Its eighteen months now and my wife agrees theres no looking back.

Reliability? Replaced a collar which is normal wear and tear plus a steam pump under the five year warranty.

Top makes to Sunbeam :D

Quote Originally Posted by 5A7D7B7C71080 link=1292888656/10#10 date=1292987860
    I was a Silvia user for five years
    Quote Originally Posted by 5A7D7B7C71080 link=1292888656/10#10 date=1292987860
    She was finicky and unpredictable - rarely had a decent cup from her
    Fresh coffee, grind, dose, tamp. Get it right and in theory you will get more than a decent cup everytime. Would apply to Silvia, 6910 any good machine.

The problem is most often the user not the machine or grindrer

Quote Originally Posted by 0D30343420590 link=1292888656/11#11 date=1292991730
    The problem is most often the user not the machine or grindrer *
    I agree - I could never control the variables with Silvia - my fault more than hers *::) * Temp surfing was entirely inaccurate and the PID introduced another variable *:(

With the 6910 I weigh the dose for absolute consistency, tamp with a Demaral tamper which gives an even and predictable tamp each and every time, and cut off the pour when blonding starts.

Of course I back-flush and descale religiously and clean the K3 grinder with Grindz.

Yes, my technique has improved since I started using the SB, but it was so much easier to achieve that improvement than with Silvia *:)

Just went to Coffee Craft today, and gotta say the service was great. Now i want a Wega though :p...

Quote Originally Posted by 6B4C4A4D40390 link=1292888656/12#12 date=1292993046
    Temp surfing was entirely inaccurate and the PID introduced another variable *:(
    Well, that is certainly weird Rusty. The main aim of installing PID Control of the Boiler is to reduce variables, not increase them. Something else may have been amiss there....

Mal.

Leaning towards the Silvia now, the temperature surfing cant be THAT bad... right?

Look up YouTube and see it done, it becomes a habit once you get used to it.
    Maybe one day add a PID, surf no more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1A37333F325E0 link=1292888656/14#14 date=1293002873
    Well, that is certainly weird Rusty. The main aim of installing PID Control of the Boiler is to reduce variables, not increase them. Something else may have been amiss there....
    The PID removed the variables assocatied with temp surfing but introduced another - the set temp. It was up to the user to get it right or way wrong. It presented a large range of temp choices :-[

The EM6910 has preset temps which reduces the number of variables compared to a PID ;)

I rest my case ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 0324222528510 link=1292888656/17#17 date=1293092699
    It presented a large range of temp choices :-[
    Well, theres your problem....

Once you have it setup to produce the correct Brew Water Temperature on top of the coffee cake, theres no need to move this setpoint through much of a range. Probably +/-second crack on the very rare occasion would be it from my own personal experience.... 95% of pours were pulled with the Brew Water Temp sitting on 93C.....

Mal.