Thread: Silvia with PID and Compak K3 - problems dialing it in

Silvia with PID and Compak K3 - problems dialing it in

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Im onto my second type of beans now with my new setup (Lavazza Il Perfetto Espresso) and Im having problems getting the correct extraction time.

What Im finding is that I tend to swing between an extraction time of about 38 seconds or an extraction time of about 22 seconds. If I adjust the grind by minute movements it seems to swing either way. I am very new at using a grinder, I used a Breville 800 series machine and pre-ground coffee before this. I am using a consistant tamp each time, so Id like to think that Ive eleminated this as the culprit.

Also, I have the PID set to 105 degrees at the moment for the Lavazza. Has anyone got experience with this coffee and the temperature which is prefers?

Thanks guys

Regards,
    Simon

brett230873

Re: Silvia with PID and Compak K3 - problems dialing it in

1. Get freshly roasted beans... not Lavazza from a packet
    2. Weigh your beans into the grinder just enough for one shot.
    3. Tamp consistently... Technique and weight are largely irrelevant... Consistency is key
    4. Leave the PID in one spot while you are dialing in... the only variable that should change isnthe grind setting.... Nothing else
    5. Once dialed in and consistent then play and change.
    6. Get freely roasted beans from a site sponsor: they will be consistent in their freshness and roasting technique.

8. Report back with great results and good luck.

BH

Thanks for the response Brett. With regards to the coffee, surely Lavazza cant be that bad? Isnt it the best selling coffee in the world? Surely, if its vacuum sealed when you buy it, it will be decent?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7C6C6E7D606366610F0 link=1293336921/2#2 date=1293347721
    if its vacuum sealed when you buy it, it will be decent?

Well... you can change Bretts (very good) post to:

1a. Get freshly roasted beans
    1b. Get Lavazza from a packet

6b Try both coffees

8. Report back with both results and good luck (with the imported packet)

;D

Quote Originally Posted by 25353724393A3F38560 link=1293336921/2#2 date=1293347721
    surely Lavazza cant be that bad?
    If you are using supermarket beans then go find a local roaster or use CS Beans from Andy. He will roast em, deliver them to your door! Cant get much better than that.

Supermarket beans are old. Buy fresh and your coffee will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by 78686A79646762650B0 link=1293336921/0#0 date=1293336921
    Also, I have the PID set to 105 degrees at the moment for the Lavazza. Has anyone got experience with this coffee and the temperature which is prefers?
    Welcome Simon.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Not much else to add to the excellent advice already provided. However, with regard to the PID Controller Setpoint setting, I would consider 108C to be the minimum setting and maybe up as far as 110C. You need to remember that the Setpoint is aimed at the temperature at the Top of the Boiler while the temperature of the Brew Water that reaches the top of the coffee cake will be considerably cooler.

The Brew Water path of the Silvia is longer than that of a Lelit style machine (an Imat Mokita) I used to own so the temperature stratification of the water column plus the Boiler Extension piece that is fitted between the Boiler and the Group of the Silvia accounts for further temperature differential. With my Mokita, this differential in total was 14C. Im pretty sure that a Silvias is more like 16-18C.

The best way to find out. is to use a thermocouple sited on top of the coffee cake and connected to a data logging instrument such as the CS Digital MultiMeter (DMM) and then to a PC to record the data. If you dont have any of this paraphernalia though, just start with the PID Controller set to 108C and start from there, while judging the quality of the coffee in the cup as you go. After all, its what is in the cup that counts.... 8-)

All the best mate and have fun..... ;)

Mal.

Go to a roaster and get fresh beans.
    I have a silvia with pid and my temp is 101deg. with d-bella alli reserve beans and its perfect, but thats with a rocky grinder, third grinder to get the grind right for the fussy silvia.
    The silvia requires a very fine grind and is a bit fussy, takes a little while to dial in.
    If you search the web the pid temp setting on the silvia by other users seems to very from 96c to 108c
    Just try different temperatures to see which one tastes the best once you have dialed the silvia in.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E5351575A5B5F320 link=1293336921/4#4 date=1293350325
    Supermarket beans are old.Buy fresh and your coffee will improve.
    Supermarket beans, no matter how good the quality, behave way different to fresh roasted coffee, not to mention taste. . . .

I have to adjust my ordinary em0480 about 3 notches finer to get anything near a decent pour with supermarket beans. And the pour is still crap, blondes early, and the espresso tastes ordinary and lacks body. 3 notches finer with fresh coffee and I will choke it everytime.

If you get use to using fresh you will find it much more predictable, and tastier.

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Ill get through this load of Lavazza and then get some beans from Andy. I hope everyone is enjoying the time off :)