Thread: Re: Grimac La Uno or Silvia?

Re: Grimac La Uno or Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    New here and this is my first post. Im new to the coffee snob world, but I find myself a snob junkie having to get my daily snob fix just like my daily espresso. Anyway, moving on....Im in the market for a machine and was gonna buy a new Silvia and a Mazzer mini grinder, now I see this machine but I have no clue as to which would be a better buy. Can any of you lovely snobs give a virgin some advice??? 8-)

for you to make up your own mind:

La Uno = small semi commercial heat exchanger machine of "older" design. Reasonably soft steam delivery, radial movement steam arm (usually not ball jointed). The steam valve is "ordinary", in semi commercial use it fails reasonably quickly (ie steam leaks) and the steam seals are/were hard to get....there is a V seal that in the past, certainly was more trouble to get than its worth.

If I were to buy a La Uno in good nik I would use as is until there is any trouble with the steam valve, then I would change out the steam valve assembly with a commmonly available better quality type and and in so doing will also end up with a ball jointed and longer pipe ( my preference) and a more aggressive steam delivery. But thats me, I get my parts for trade, and I do my own work. If you do this it will add cost to your purchase price...and in any case it may not be a problem with a machine that has only ever had light home duties!

Otherwise it should make an excellent home machine.

It is easier to use than the Silvia. Being *a heat exchanger design there are no "steps" to put it through to go from coffee to steam and back to coffee modes....HX machines deliver all at once.

A La Uno could be around 10 years old but the age wont matter if it has been loved by its owner.

The Silvia on the other hand is the best domestic machine on the world market. Its not an HX and has "steps" you need to go through to go from coffee to steam and back to coffee modes.

Look at the price differentials, weigh up with the above, make your choice and enjoy! *:)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

Thanx for your reply FC. The one Im looking at has a pivoting steam wand, not sure if its the original or been changed? Also how do I tell the age of the machine? Its only had home use (approx 2 cups per day).

I think this machine is a better option, saves me having to switch to steam etc.

TC

Re: Grimac La Uno / Mini Grimac $1,000

Quote Originally Posted by 312E0328343D325C0 link=1293374414/4#4 date=1293662700
    I agree, this looks stunning and the photos help! Does anyone have any decent info on this vs a Silvia?

I really like the small size of this one. Have you any rough estimate on a cost to send to Brisbane?
    A little research on HX (heat exchanger) v single boiler machines will answer your question. This is a big, big jump from a Silvia and equivalent new machines retail in the circa $2k-3k region.

2mcm

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 637C517A666F600E0 link=1293374414/4#4 date=1293662700
    I agree, this looks stunning and the photos help! Does anyone have any decent info on this vs a Silvia?

I really like the small size of this one. Have you any rough estimate on a cost to send to Brisbane?
    Chalk and Cheese....

The Silvia is not in the same class.

Try e-go for transport, BUT it will depend upon the quality of teh packing.. I would suggest about $80 ???

Quote Originally Posted by 3E210C273B323D530 link=1293374414/4#4 date=1293662700

This machine was in Melbourne when we bought it and at the time we were on the Gold Coast and it was about $30 to send it up with e-go. Weve used them a lot for moving stuff around and have never had anything get damaged.

I think we had it shipped uninsured.

We still have the original box it was shipped to us in (not the original Grimac box, its a computer box but fits perfectly and even has high density foam padding and like I said, it came up from Melbourne in this box unscathed).

as far as i know this grimac would be of a very similar build to my diadema junior semi-auto, as theyre manufactured by BFC in italy.

i upgraded from a silvia to the junior and its been very good to me, i love the fact that you dont need to wait to steam your milk. and its almost always ready for you to brew/steam. the brewing temperature is more stable because of the e61 group.

i got mine 2nd hand for $900. new one is around $2k so i think at the price its selling, its a bargain!