Thread: Automatic coffee machine options

Automatic coffee machine options

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Im looking at replacing my Rancilio Silvia and Rocky with an automatic coffee machine. *I now live next to some great coffee spots so I am finding I do not use the Silvia often. *I would like to get something smaller to use once/week, quicker to use, no mess and does great espresso, and good milk too. *Anyone have some suggestions? *Looking at spending under $1000.

Thank you,
    David.

Re: Automatic coffee machine options

Welcome to Coffeesnobs.

I think in this forum that the words automatic and great espresso wont actually fit in the same sentence...

A little bit of searching will reveal this.

Its a bit like military intelligence, or common sense for that matter.....

As a former member of the military myself I can only endorse two of the previous phrases as oxymorons :P

I would have to agree. We have a $3500 Jura at work, and Im not three-and-a-half-thousand dollars impressed! Check out mokas and plungers for a quick fix. Combine it with an auto milk frother and you might be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4A5D4E5B592B0 link=1293529950/0#0 date=1293529950
    quicker to use, no mess
    let me debunk this myth that I keep seeing :) Where do you think the grinds and flushes go? I cant speak for all autos since Ive only used one, but the Jura needs regular maintenance and cleaning. You have to:

- flush the milk system after every milk based drink
    - clean the milk system with special solution (read: consumables to purchase) at the end of the day (5 minutes)
    - empty the grinds tray when its full (or at the end of the day)
    - empty the overflow tray when its full (or at the end of the day)
    - run an automatic clean (20 minutes) with special tablets (more consumables) after x on/off cycles
    - take apart and wash all parts (pipes, milk container, drip trays, nozzles, etc. etc.) at the end of each day (5 - 10 minutes)

and like most good espresso machines:
    - replace the water filter every x drinks
    - descale every so often

Now at work spread over 20 people I only do about 5 minutes work on the machine a week, but at home you would be doing all this yourself.

However different things are important to different people, so maybe youll still find this "easier" with light use...

Quote Originally Posted by 646B7362737673120 link=1293529950/2#2 date=1293536402
    As a former member of the military myself I can only endorse two of the previous phrases as oxymorons :P

Yeah, typing that I thought I was on a hiding.... ;D

Im glad you agree with the other two though...

Selling the Rancillo? Pm me 8-)

Thanks for the welcome comments and the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by 383D2A392C2E5C0 link=1293529950/0#0 date=1293529950
    Hi,

Im looking at replacing my Rancilio Silvia and Rocky with an automatic coffee machine. *I now live next to some great coffee spots so I am finding I do not use the Silvia often. *I would like to get something smaller to use once/week, quicker to use, no mess and does great espresso, and good milk too. *Anyone have some suggestions? *Looking at spending under $1000.

Thank you,
    David. *
    Hello and welcome.

In the price bracket you mentioned you will be trading a long way downwards and I wouldnt do it.

In addition if you have become accustomed to the type of coffee the Silvia makes you will have to completely reducate what your tastebuds think is good coffee.

Seriously.....Keep the Silvia and Rocky. ...or you will be sorry in the long run...nay....you will be sorry pretty quickly ;)

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 5A525A5D5751330 link=1293529950/3#3 date=1293537621
    flush the milk system after every milk based drink
    - clean the milk system with special solution (read: consumables to purchase) at the end of the day (5 minutes)
    Its just wonderful when these two get seen as uneccessary. I was in an office the other day and they had a big super auto Saeco, a bar fridge next to it, and the tube just going straight into the milk bottle through the door seal. It appeared to be kept very clean on the outside, but that milk tube just looked nasty. Made me sick just thinking about it.

The last time I had coffee from the Silvia was at least a month ago, and I am finding it I use it more to make espresso for Tiramisu. So other than that I have no need for it. I do understand it is a great machine and hard to replace, but if I no longer use it I do not want it.

I may not get a new machine to replace it, I was just looking for other options if I do decide to get something down the track.

You could put a WTB in the for sale section and leave it generic for any auto machine, or you could keep your eye out in dump shops and second hand stores. Beware of the condition of such machines, but a mate of mine picked up an auto Delonghi (c$1000) for $10 this year! (Who cares if it breaks for that price?!)

Otherwise, I assume youve seen this post. Theres one on "the bay" right now, but for such a cheap machine Id buy a new one for the warranty.

Hi iaindb, thanks for the post, will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 6169717B66020 link=1293529950/4#4 date=1293538214
    Quote Originally Posted by 646B7362737673120 link=1293529950/2#2 date=1293536402

Yeah, typing that I thought I was on a hiding.... *;D

Im glad you agree with the other two though...
    ;)
    Well I have at least some intelligence! :o