Thread: First Day Lelit Combi woes

First Day Lelit Combi woes

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster, here.

I finally jumped in to the world of better coffee today, replacing my old Kenwood espresso machine with a lelit combi from Jet Black Espresso - very exciting!

Unfortunately, Ive already run into a problem. On our first attempt at using the machine, the grinder was sluggish: we seemed to be getting very little coffee out. Still, we got enough out to make a first espresso or two, and all seemed well.

I went in for a second attempt tonight, however, and now I cant seem to get anything out of the grinder at all. I stuck my finger up inside the grinder from the bottom (while it was off, of course), and theres definitely a lot of coffee stuck up there, so Im assuming its a blockage. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I havent been able to clear it.

Obviously, I can take it back tomorrow and get some help clearing it, but if anyone has any suggestions for what else I could try, Im all ears. In addition: what might have caused this? The beans are ones Ive used without problem in my old sunbeam, though I suspect theyre not quite as new as Id like (probably four to six weeks since purchase). The grinder settings were pre-set by Jet Black Espresso. Anything else?

Its all so frustrating. Im so excited by this purchase, and now... I cant do anything. :(

Site Sponsor

Re: First Day Lelit Combi woes

Whoops, not a good start :-[

Best bet is to bring it in tomorrow. And please dont put your fingers into the grinder! ::)

charlie

Not very, no! Ah well. Hopefully itll be an easy fix.

Thanks: I guess Ill be back in tomorrow, then. Good thing Im still on holidays!

Just wanted to pop back and say thank you Charlie (and everyone else at JetBlack). There was a bit of bent plastic in my grinder which was blocking everything up, but they fixed it up, and now Im back to making excellent espresso.

Good to know you had a positive outcome.
    The bent plastic, can you explain about it?

Gary

I also recently bought a Lelit Combi (PL042EM) from JetBlack (for my wife for Christmas) and have had immediate problems.

Firstly, the grinder scale was completely un-calibrated. ie instead of the coarseness setting range going from 1 to 7, it was from off the scale to 3. Bit disappointed that wasnt picked up during the "bench test".

Next, the steam wand knob was relatively stiff on first unboxing, and then over the course of the first 6-8 coffees got stiffer and stiffer to turn and has completely seized up. And in case anyone is wondering, no, I wasnt over tightening it. Given the known history of water leaking from the wand on these machines, I was being extra careful.

Unfortunately for me, I cant drop into the shop as I live in Melbourne. So its now in a local service centre that was organised by Charlie for repair after the Christmas break. Now Im just hoping they know what they are doing since they dont sell Lelit machines... *:-/

They also said it could take 3 weeks or more if they need new parts. That would mean ~6 weeks after opening the machine. Argh, I need a decent coffee at home!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 767A7C7A69757278777E1B0 link=1294131753/5#5 date=1295219772
    Firstly, the grinder scale was completely un-calibrated. ie instead of the coarseness setting range going from 1 to 7, it was from off the scale to 3. Bit disappointed that wasnt picked up during the "bench test".
    Hello magarnicle,

On a Lelit, the hopper is calibrated to wherever you want it to be. Take it off and simply replace it to suit yourself. *Numbers mean absolutely nothing:-?

The wand knob should simply be a case of lubrication or needle valve replacement. Its a 2 minute job. I assume all was normal when Charlie bench tested it, so perhaps its a faulty, failed or badly seated o-ring. No bench test would pick this up.

It looks to me like Charlie is doing his utmost to get you up and running, so I am unsure as to why you believe your experience has been unsatisfactory? Id call that good service. Seems to me equal parts lack of familiarity and simple bad luck.

2mcm

I agree the service from JetBlack has been very good. Its just frustrating to have problems from the get go.

As for calibrating the hopper, Im not sure I understand. There is a knob on the side that can be turned to select how coarse the grind is. If I wind it fully clockwise to fully counter clockwise I would expect the knotch at the front which shows the current setting to go from 1 to 7. It doesnt. The only way I see I could fix that is by unscrewing the thing (as the limits seem to be defined by the screws that stop further turning of the knob). Not something I want to do myself on a brand new machine.

Site Sponsor

Hi Magarnicle,

We did a full test on your grinder before shipping. In fact, we even set the grind to be dialled in (give or take) for fresh coffee and then placed the hopper on number "3". All you had to do was pour beans in and grind!

The numbers dont mean anything in an absolute sense and the numbers displayed when the grind adjuster hits the stop screws dont necessarily line up with the min and max of the numbers. Think about these numbers as relative measures - eg I was on "3" yesterday with beans XYZ and today I had to go finer to "2.7" with beans ABC. Of course if you take the hopper off, try to put it back on in the same spot so that your references numbers dont change.

On the issue of your steam valve, this was tested before shipping too. I cant say what has happened to it since then, but will have a better idea after I see it. Replacement parts (the whole valve and tap) were sent to the repair centre last week out of our Cremorne store so that they have everything they need as soon as possible and they should get them today or tomorrow.

If you have any other concerns, fastest way to get through in most cases is the shop number - (02) 9904 0409 or email info@jetblackespresso.com.au

charlie

On some of these, the grinder limit stops are not set correctly so you dont have enough adjustment. If they are plastic stops, They just pull off and relocate to a new hole. Some I think have a screw and a washer.

Anyway, Remove the stops regardless of what they are and dial in a grind then put the stops back in if you like but they wont do any harm if they are left out unless you wind it right in or do something really silly.

On mine, it simply depends on where you position the hopper as to where the numbers are.

Thanks for the info Charlie. Your support has been great, so Im sorry if my post gave a different impression. I called the store and they got the parts, so I should have it back by the end of the week *:)

The grinder issue sounds like my own ignorance. This is our first espresso machine, and not knowing better I assumed it was just a production fault when the range didnt line up.

Caffeine Junky

Hi Magarnicle as someone who has owned many different espresso machines what I have discovered is that there is no such thing as the perfect machine. Each one has its own little idiosyncrasies.

Ive owned one like yours and theyre a beauty. There are some design faults but with time you find it easy to work around them, and they are Italian after all! It does sound like you were just unlucky with the steam valve. If well cared for Im sure youll have many years of trouble free coffee from it.