Thread: Grimac La Uno Steam arm and other impressions

Grimac La Uno Steam arm and other impressions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I took delivery of my Grimac La Uno on Monday, and as Atillo waned me, the steam arm and performance on this machine was really bad. It essentially had a radially mounted wand with one really tiny hole, and was pretty thin too. In addition it was leaking water when the tap was closed, as well as dripping on my hand while steaming.

I noticed the pressure on the boiler was turned up to 1.5 bar when I just receieved the machine, and turned it down to something more sane. I had a chat to a service tech afterwards, and he basically told me they turn it up so high because of the poor steam performance. I must say at the 1.1 bar mark it was taking forever to texture milk, and getting good microfoam was very challenging.

I headed over to coffeeparts on Wednesday, with the steam valve assembly to see what I could find to replace the terrible wand, and settled on a (ball joint type) wand from a Cimbali Jr, with the standard 2 hole tip that was already attached to the wand. Along with some other bits, it was a perfect fit, and looks a whole heap better than the stock parts.

I was expecting the steam to be a bit better, but I was blown away (bad pun) by how much better it is. Getting great microfoam every time now, and quick as can be.

Initial brews were a wee bit sour, but after making some small incremental changes to the pstat, I reckon I found its sweet spot, and I am getting consistently awesome shots.

Anyhoo, here is one before and one after pic after some cleaning and sporting the new steam arm.

A_M

Re: Grimac La Uno Steam arm and other impressions

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2D272B440 link=1295583467/0#0 date=1295583467
    So I took delivery of my Grimac La Uno on Monday, and as Atillo waned me, the steam arm and performance on this machine was really bad. It essentially had a radially mounted wand with one really tiny hole, and was pretty thin too. In addition it was leaking water when the tap was closed, as well as dripping on my hand while steaming.

I noticed the pressure on the boiler was turned up to 1.5 bar when I just receieved the machine, and turned it down to something more sane. I had a chat to a service tech afterwards, and he basically told me they turn it up so high because of the poor steam performance. I must say at the 1.1 bar mark it was taking forever to texture milk, and getting good microfoam was very challenging.

I headed over to coffeeparts on Wednesday, with the steam valve assembly to see what I could find to replace the terrible wand, and settled on a (ball joint type) wand from a Cimbali Jr, with the standard 2 hole tip that was already attached to the wand. Along with some other bits, it was a perfect fit, and looks a whole heap better than the stock parts.

I was expecting the steam to be a bit better, but I was blown away (bad pun) by how much better it is. Getting great microfoam every time now, and quick as can be.

Initial brews were a wee bit sour, but after making some small incremental changes to the pstat, I reckon I found its sweet spot, and I am getting consistently awesome shots.

Anyhoo, here is one before and one after pic after some cleaning and sporting the new steam arm.
    That looks great.

Now for those of us that can not get direct access to coffeeparts. Would you care to provide a list of parts required to do the steam upgrade.

PS>

I have an old plumbed in Grimac La Uno in the shed and would love to do a Steam wand upgrade and convert to an internal TANK.

Re: Grimac La Uno Steam arm and other impressions

Quote Originally Posted by 7D525B594E715D525D5B59515952483C0 link=1295583467/1#1 date=1295585537
    Now for those of us that can not get direct access to coffeeparts.Would you care to provide a list of parts required to do the steam upgrade.
    Sure thing:

1 x 700243-X - S Steel steam pipe complete
    1 x 700446 - teflon gasket
    1x 700740 - steam valve spring
    2 x 700759 - spring guide
    1 x 700269 - o-ring

Cheers,
    Nico

Just bumping this thread. I ordered all the parts as per what the OP said. Anyone know if there is anything special I need to do or just straight swap?

thanks

Can anyone advise me urgently howe the parts fit together?

I put the steam arm on but it doesnt feel right and there is no steam pressure when machine is on.

Thanks

JT8
    I'm looking to do this. Can anyone advise how you adjust the pressure talked about here
    Last edited by Jthomas8; 3rd October 2014 at 07:42 AM.