Thread: Vibiemme Domobar help

Vibiemme Domobar help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently picked up a Vibiemme non- HX Domobar at a very good price. *It seems to work ok and was in a clean condition apart from the back of the showerscreen which I removed and cleaned with Caffex.

The seller claimed they bought it in 1998 but have not used it for 5 years having replaced it with a Nespresso. *Can only assume they did not learn how to use it properly or found it too much of a hassle. *It came with a brochure describing it as a Domobar but no reference to a Levetta or Piccolo both of which it resembles. * It is mainly SS but with a white side/ back panel. * It has a 4 hole steam wand. *The brochure *claims it has a 1.5 litre boiler.

Is this unit the same as the Levetta referred to often on CS or a different model? *There is also a Domobar Junior? *It cannot be a Piccolo which has a smaller boiler. *It is certainly not a Domobar Super which is a HX unit.

Can anyone set me straight and provide any tips on its use and possible mods (eg would it be worthwhile to change the steam wand tip to two hole?)

Regards
    Ted

TC

Re: Vibiemme Domobar help

Sounds like a mixmaster or remington typewriter to me Ted...

We might need a pic to assist. ;)

Welcome to CS Ted.

Back in the old days there were only 2 model Domobars:

1) the "Domobar Super" which is the HX model, and
    2) the "Domobar".

Today the old Domobar is called something else and I think it is the Piccolo?????? Someone correct me if I am wrong. In any case it is the non HX model....call it an oversized Silvia if you like with an E61 group on the front.

Dont get confused with the extra new models that have come out since those days with all the other names. FWIW it is a genuine "Domobar" and presumably it was replaced with the "Piccolo" (?).

Use it exactly as you would a Silvia, or one of our Diadema Perfetta machines, or for that matter a "Piccolo". ie there are steps required to go from coffee to steam and back..... On your machine there is a toggle switch maybe to the left of the group from memory, that switches it from one mode to the other.....BUT...its been a long time. In any case it is quite simple to use.

Hope that helps,

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

PS....I will allow myself just one teensy indiscretion......of all things, a Nespresso ::)?????????? *Yes it is probable they couldnt work out how to use the Domobar properly but that only ever comes down to getting good service from your vendor and or realising you need to go back to the vendor for same and..........you have now reaped the benefit because they appear to have sold you the better machine if a better quality coffee is what you are after.

Attilio, Thanks

It looks exactly like a Piccolo Black but with a white rather than black back. It has 3 red push buttons and a lever to pull the shot. Managed to get it working and it makes a good espresso. The only reservation I have is the 4 hole nozzle on the steam wand which tends to over froth the milk before it gets hot. I gather that can be replaced with a 2 hole nozzle.

The brouchure that came with it claims it has a 1.5 l copper boiler which is twice the size of a Piccolo. Either the brouchure is wrong or earlier models came with a bigger boiler. Have some pics but have not mastered how to attach them to my post.

As you correctly say either the previous owner did not get good service, or in this instance more likely did not go back to the vendor to sort out the difficulties they had in using the machine. I know the supplier has a good after sales reputation.

Hi I think I have just posted 2 pics from the brouchure via photobucket.

The first pic is the table cropped from the last page of the brouchure. *It clearly shows the boiler capacity as 1.5 L. The Table also covers the HX model Domobar Super.

The second pic is cropped from a page showing all the colors available in the back panel. My crop shows just the Inox (SS) and the white one which I have. *There are also black and red ones.

Hope that helps. Can post more pics. Is there a way of posting the pic direct rather than photobucket?

Regards
    Ted

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4F494E4E5F5E3A0 link=1295939873/5#5 date=1296105883
    Is there a way of posting the pic direct rather than photobucket?
    See the bottom of the page, below where you type your message.
    Hit the browse button next to Attachment 1 and find your file. Click on the + to attach more than one photo.

It is as per the pamphlet and I am amazed this pamphlet still exists in captivity. Having jogged my memory, I remember it (the pamphlet) well. I can also recall now there was an A4 typed (photocopied) single sheet which from memory was printed "landcape" and folded in half, giving instructions on use. If you also have that you have the whole kit and kaboodle!

The machine and its operation is as I described above and in my PM.

And that my friends.......was an eternity ago...you may as well call it a generation ago.

See my PM.

Regardz,
    Attilio

Attilo Thanks

Alas no A4 instruction sheet but the instructions prepared by distributors of the Piccolo available on the Web as as well as advice on CS showed me *how to operate it, *The controls seem identical to the Piccolo. *The only difference seems to be that the Piccolo has a smaller boiler. *I am curious why VBM would downsize it as the outside dimensions of the machine seem the same. *

Is my machine the one commonly called a Vibiemme Domobar *Levetta on CS?

Regards
    Ted

Hi

Here is a better pic from the brouchure. While it differs in some small details it is exactly the same as mine.

[img][/img]
    http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/austted/?action=view&current=Domobar3.jpg
    [img][/img]

Regards
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by 7B6F696E6E7F7E1A0 link=1295939873/7#7 date=1296120270
    Attilo Thanks........Is my machine the one commonly called a Vibiemme Domobar *Levetta on CS?....
    Hello again Ted..

Your machine is a VBM "Domobar".......period. That is what they were called and the model predates any similar model or model name currently referred to or produced by that company.

It would be close to 14 years old and technically obsolete. It should be enjoyed while it runs and it may well be repairable into the future depending on the availabilty of the more important parts (whatever they may be) dependent on a good look inside for re-aquaintance after all these years, when something eventually gives out *;))

In the meantime enjoy.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

Attilo Thanks I understand the point you are making. *

However what I am asking essentially is related to the development of the VBM Domobar up to the current Piccolo. *I am hoping someone involved in the sale and/or repair of the current Piccolos may be able to through some light on what changes have been made to these machines over the years.

After all on the outside my machine looks identical to the current Piccolo. *I would be interested *in what improvements VBM have made to the design since 1998. *In particular why did they reduce the boiler size from 1.5 L to 0.75L?

Regards
    Ted

Re development I doubt anyone will be able to tell you as the people now importing VBM into Australia have no idea of the models as they were 15 years ago....they are all basically new to VBM and these are the third importers that I know of in that time. But of course someone may chime in.....

As to the reason for the smaller boiler size, this is only conjecture *however manufactuters tend to use what they have available and dont like producing special parts that can only be used in one application. The reason for changing from a 1.5 litre to a smaller boiler could be as simple as......the 1.5 size might have been a special production run only for that model, and the smaller boiler may be something they can use in more than one application.......! The other possibility is that the large boiler size in that model is complete overkill because it far exceeds the capacity of the machine ie, why produce enough steam to do 10 cappuccinos, when you are governed by having a) 1 group only and b) the restriction of slow method of operation of the machine through it not being a HX type.

Also, the bigger the boiler, the slower is the waiting time when you flilck from coffee mode to steam mode....therefore further slowing your operation....and if you dont like waiting and want to use the steamer before its fully ready, you get wet steam and watery milk coffee.

Really its anyones guess, and the quickest way of finding what develoments may have been made over the years, is to put this machine next to the modern derivative and look inside both together. I doubt you will find too much difference in the design part (what works, works *;) ), and there will undoubtedly be differences through the use of modern parts. This is where future serviceability will be ok or fall down, in trying to adapt modern parts to replace the original ones, and the time taken which equals money and therefore governs whether something is "worth" doing or not in a commercial sense.

Regardz,
    Attilio

Attilio

Thanks you have been more than helpful.

Regards
    Ted

Re: Vibiemme Domobar help - Follow up

Being still curious about this machine, I did some more surfing on CS and discovered the current importers were Espresso Company Australia. *I rang them and Salvatore Savarino could not have been more helpful. *He explained that Piccolo was the name ECA gave the machine to distinguish it from the Hx Domobar Super. *I can only assume its other names Levetta and *Vashetta were used by previous importers.

Salvatore also kindly emailed me an excellent one page instruction/ use *sheet which ECA prepared for this machine. *This certainly clarified how we should use the machine. *Thanks Salvatore.

Regards
    Ted