Thread: Repairing a Rusty Rancilio Silvia

Roz

Repairing a Rusty Rancilio Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

So I noticed this not so long ago, but have procrastinated heavily but have decided to pull it apart to see how bad the rust is and its pretty bad, apparently a common fault with the right angle connector to the pump leaks and drips onto the the bottom of the frame causing rust over time.

Here are the pictures

I have a PID for this waiting to be installed but its going to need to be fixed before that happens.

I plan to do the same as this bloke has.

http://sites.google.com/site/stejdor/ranciliosilva

Has anyone gone through this fix? do you think the amount of rust here is bad enough to warrant cutting the frame to see if there is rust through the join / re welding?

I plan to hit with the wire brush from the dremel before sending it to the sandblaster for prepping before powder coating.

I do wonder if it has been fixed in the V3?

tek

Re: Repairing a Rusty Rancilio Silvia

Thats not bad rust, just send it to the coaters and have it blasted and recoated

Wow. Why isnt it stainless in the first place???? If that pump is prone to leaking like that, Id be putting some kind of plastic (maybe book contact or similar) between the powdercoating and the pump when finished.

It does just look like surface rust though, shouldnt be too extreme once cleaned and coated.

Roz

Ill be putting some teflon tape on the joint and drilling a hole where the its been dripping, so if it does ever drip again I will notice it.

This machine is quite fiddily to get apart, Im just wondering if I should take apart the boiler and give it a clean while Im at it, not sure how I go about it though. Im keen to give this machine a complete clean before I go adding my auber PID.

tek

Quote Originally Posted by 77686A70697C6B6A7D050 link=1296381833/2#2 date=1296387463
    Wow. Why isnt it stainless in the first place???? If that pump is prone to leaking like that, Id be putting some kind of plastic (maybe book contact or similar) between the powdercoating and the pump when finished.

It does just look like surface rust though, shouldnt be too extreme once cleaned and coated.

Stainless is more costly than mild steel, putting contact on the panel will only trap moisture leading to more rust, Ive found austrailian powdercoating to be far supeiior to Italian

tek

Quote Originally Posted by 56595E435F54310 link=1296381833/3#3 date=1296388131
    Ill be putting some teflon tape on the joint and drilling a hole where the its been dripping, so if it does ever drip again I will notice it.
    I wouldnt bother with the hole I reckon most of the rust is caused by steam from the discharge pipe after brewing

I got my San marino CK frame powdercoated. The rust was worse than that. They sandblasted it, zinc coated it and then powdercoated it black. Looked like a new one. Only cost $50 and the frame is bigger than miss silvias.

The hole wont hurt but I would sort the leak out too. My Lucy pump never leaked so sounds like youve for a leaking fitting somewhere.

Re the boiler, up to you, but if it aint broke why go looking for something else to fix. The boiler can be descaled using the normal method once the machine is back together.

Hi
    It looks as if there is a slight leak from that white fitting on the end of the pump. That small drip has found its way to the seam and worked its way into the joint. *Fix that drip or put a small container under it. *All being well the rust will not get worse.

Re the rust: Certainly get it it sand blasted if you want but to do that you will have to dismantle the whole unit. *I am not sure even with a pid fitted it would be worth it- I am a perfectionist so it is hard to say this.

I would give it a very good wire brushing to base metal, then soak the joint both sides with Ranex or similar to neutralise the rust then paint it with a rust inhibiting spray paint (looks better than a brush). *Keep on eye on it when every you empty the tray.

I doubt very much if sand blasting will be any better as that cannot get into the joint. *Now you picture does not show if the joint is spot welded or bolted together. *I am guessing it is spot welded. *I dont feel like taking my Silvia to bits to have a look. *If bolted it makes the above easier. I neutralised a totally rusty laundry under sink cabinet base and side seams and it was a remarkable recovery - saved a fortune!

It certainly does not need cutting out.

my pennies worth
    dumiya

Yeah, certainly wont need any form of cutting and welding. Get some rust converter onto it and if you are feeling like it you can paint it with POR15 to rustproof it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E41465B474C290 link=1296381833/3#3 date=1296388131

This machine is quite fiddily to get apart, Im just wondering if I should take apart the boiler and give it a clean while Im at it, not sure how I go about it though. Im keen to give this machine a complete clean before I go adding my auber PID. *
    Quote Originally Posted by 4E41465B474C290 link=1296381833/3#3 date=1296388131

This machine is quite fiddily to get apart, Im just wondering if I should take apart the boiler and give it a clean while Im at it, not sure how I go about it though. Im keen to give this machine a complete clean before I go adding my auber PID. *

I just finished taking my machine apart and I too have a rusty frame. Apparently you can order a frame for around $55 but there is a 4-6 week wait. I would check your boiler screws.Although they are stainless they can still get very corroded. At the very least I would replace the 6 screws and gasket while you have it apart. My screws were corroded and I ended up taking a hacksaw to 4 of them to get them out.... a job I wouldnt want to do again.
    To clean the boiler , I would recommend letting it soak in a mixture of citric acid and water. I bought the citric acid at woolies in a small spice size container. I cleaned all the brass parts this way and it worked great. I finally got it all abck together and it now works great. I still have a small leak in my steam wand which is caused by a cracked *teflon washer that I am having trouble finding.

Roz

Well bit of an update, while I get along to fixing my machine I ended up buying an hardly used early V3 (unfortunately not with the balljoint wand), the people who owned it were using pre ground coffee so it probably has never pulled a cracker of a shot so this is the machine I will be installing my PID and repairing my old one to resell. The new one is already apart and waiting for me to hook up the PID :D