Thread: Can you Backflush Breville Fresca? (BES 860)

Can you Backflush Breville Fresca? (BES 860)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have a Breville Fresca and while you can use cleaning tablets with it, im just wondering if you can use a blind filter to do back flushing? (with a back flushing product...)

Re: Can you Backflush Breville Fresca? (BES 860)

I cant think of any reason why not. *The Fresca does come with a rubber plug to put in the basket to backflush, admittedly the plug has a small hole in it which I assume (new to all this) a blind filter doesnt, but I would think the hole is to allow some cleaning solution through to the filter rather than a being a pressure relief device. *I would certainly go for it (though not sure why you need to) - if you are not sure, I am think the Breville site has a help facility.

Not sure if I have missed the point of your question but you can certainly backflush the device, and you could use a powder rather than the rather expensive tablets, I am sure.

I got a Fresca last week and can think of nothing but coffee at the moment. *I have a whole new interest in life - the Fresca and *the sample packs of green beans from Beanbay, and a $12 popper from Kmart have created a brand new hobby (rapidly turning into an obsession I fear!). *I am so glad that I stumbled across this site when looking for a replacement for my previous espresso machine which was no longer co-operating.

My wife (not a coffee drinker) is rolling her eyes heavenward and telling me the interest will never last - little does she know! *::)

Quote Originally Posted by 526F6464794B000 link=1297349853/0#0 date=1297349852
    Hi,

I have a Breville Fresca and while you can use cleaning tablets with it, im just wondering if you can use a blind filter to do back flushing? (with a back flushing product...)
    Not entirely sure about the Fresca, but the last person here who did this with a Sunbeam 6910 blew off internal pipes.

If the Fresca comes with a blinding disc with a tiny hole in the middle of it, I would stick with that.

You certainly cant on the BES820 - no over pressure valve which would be critical in backflushing I think.

I keep the pressurised basket around for cleaning. A regular rinse and wipe is probably enough, although I havent looked on the "inside" of my machine to find out just how dirty it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E565E595355370 link=1297349853/3#3 date=1297432346
    You certainly cant on the BES820 - no over pressure valve which would be critical in backflushing I think.

I keep the pressurised basket around for cleaning. *A regular rinse and wipe is probably enough, although I havent looked on the "inside" of my machine to find out just how dirty it is.
    It isnt the over pressure valve (opv) that is needed, but the three way solenoid valve. Highly unlikely that the little fresca has one, but easy enough to check. Pull a shot and then immediately unlatch the portafilter. If it spits hot coffee and grounds all over you, no three way valve. Or check the technical specifications - if it has one, Breville will mention it as it is a good thing to have.

Good news, the BES 860 does indeed have a 3 way solenoid valve, as does the 820 and 800! :)

Thanks for the replies. I did get a response from Breville. They said you can use the supplied rubber plug to do a back flush and while some fluid will come out the group head, it wont diminish the effectiveness of the back flush...

I back flush my Bessie 860 from time to time as recommended in the instruction book, in the Care & Cleaning section, usually when the CLEAN ME light shines. I put a tablet or some bi-carb soda powder into the rubber cleaning disc provided.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 565E50585A40405C5058330 link=1297349853/4#4 date=1297455492
    Pull a shot and then immediately unlatch the portafilter. If it spits hot coffee and grounds all over you, no three way valve.
    This should not happen. Bes860 has a ‘control dry puck feature’ that removes excess water from the filter basket after coffee extraction.

Barry