Thread: 8 grams in a Sunbeam single basket (SB 6910)

8 grams in a Sunbeam single basket (SB 6910)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Do you ever get sick of using up 20+ grams of beans to pull two shots out of the "21 gram" sunbeam double basket only to dump one because your only making 1 cup? *I do. So I tried putting 8 grams into the single basket to pull a single and guess what...It taste GOOD. The only thing is it makes one mess of a puck, but if you dont have to reload in a hurry does it really matter??

My last four coffees have been made this way, so far so good, and that means Ive saved (21-8) x 4 = *52 grams of beans.

Its a great feeling to make a beatiful coffee using just enough beans!

Thoughts?

Caffeine Junky

Re: 8 grams in a Sunbeam single basket (SB 6910)

Like many others here I only ever drink doubles so its not an issue for me.

I believe the general consensus is that its possible to get a decent shot with a single basket but easier with a double. Because of the larger volume of coffee in the basket there is more room for error. Also when going from double to single (or vice versa) you will generally have to adjust grind.

Thoughts are single baskets are for the bottom drawer ;)

Harder to use and get good tasting shots, so drink doubles pour the second one and fridge it for iced coffee or just dump it. Home coffee is cheap compared to buying them so a little waste doesnt worry me.

If it tastes good to you then you are winning.

Ive never used the single basket that came with my GPP ;D

Some people freeze the excess shot for iced coffee. I just drink doubles 8-)

I suppose the "interesting" point I was trying to make was I used 8 grams in what is supposed to be a 14 gram single basket...
    So there would have been a large gap between the coffee and shower screen. In fact the grinds only just covered the tapered section.

I dont have any issues using the single basket with my Lelit, using the same grind/tamp. If Im making three single coffees for example, Ill use a double, then a single basket, and it comes out perfectly.

I havent treid this since I got my new (second hand) Super Jolly today (YAY), but Im assuming any grinder would get similar results. Maybe not all single baskets are made the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 56494B51485D4A4B5C240 link=1297737261/5#5 date=1297767650
    I dont have any issues using the single basket with my Lelit, using the same grind/tamp. If Im making three single coffees for example, Ill use a double, then a single basket, and it comes out perfectly.
    Noticed the same thing with my Imat Mokita, way back when... ;)

Seems they arrived at close to the perfect combination with their basket design 8-)

Mal.

Yeah I run mainly single basket brew and have no problems , just half fill it then give it a knock to compact it , then fill it up with a slight peak in the middle, then knock again a couple of times , then tamp , tap the side, then tamp and polish ..... Works great so long as your grind is right

Quote Originally Posted by 7F7167752726140 link=1297737261/7#7 date=1297811652
    then knock again a couple of times
    I moved away from the knocking and the tapping as my naked group handle was showing channelling down the sides of the basket. I get a much more even extraction throughout the basket without the tapping and knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by 5056414A50574F4D240 link=1297737261/8#8 date=1297817222
    Quote Originally Posted by 7F7167752726140 link=1297737261/7#7 date=1297811652
    then knock again a couple of times
    I moved away from the knocking and the tapping as my naked group handle was showing channelling down the sides of the basket. I get a much more even extraction throughout the basket without the tapping and knocking.

Ok , thats interesting, l run the standard group but it does everything right pour wise............still lll give anything a go :)
    Do you tamp apart from when the baskets full?

Ive now had a few poor shots with this technique, plus Im getting sick of the mess and miss the nice pucks...looks like this method has had its day :(

So my problem still stands:
    - I like the taste when ~20mls is extracted from 7 grams (or 40mls from 14 grams)
    - The sunbeam double needs 21 grams to work well. *That would make 3 coffees that way I like it. But how can I separate 60 mls into 3 portions ??
    - The sunbeam single takes only 14 grams (better - 2 shots the way I like it) but it doesnt always work well.

Any suggestions from the gurus out there :)

YMMV, but in both the 6910s I have, Ive never had to use more than 18gms in the double basket and around 8 or 9 in the single to produce 25/30 in 25/30 and pucks which I could dislodge from the basket with 1 tap and which would remain whole sitting on the crossbar of the knockbox.

Littleroundman,
    Thanks for the suggestion, never thought such a small dose (18 grams) would work in the sunbeam triple. Ive been trying it and VERY happy with the results. Now using 17 grams in it and extracting about 50-55 mls. Puck is a lot better but not perfect.
    Im amazed that after 4 months Im still experimenting and finding improvements....IT JUST A COFFEE MACHINE, A GRINDER AND SOME BEANS!! :)

I bought a used 6910 a few months again and have been refining my tequnique. My grinder has a doser on it so I usually just dose, give it a little shake to bring down the peak, then gently twist and press with very little pressure to level then stop twisting and press firmly then done.

I end up with a nice crema, firm puck with shower screen imprint, and 25-30 second pour. I dont have a bottomless portafilter but without the graeme the pour seems to fall right out the bottom of the basket not tithing the edges about half the time (no spout).

Since I cant see, how do I know if I am getting channeling or anything else. I dont have a lot of experience and want to get the best shot possible.