Thread: Rancilio Lucy grinder cooling mod

Rancilio Lucy grinder cooling mod

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello, I just bought a second hand Lucy.
    In researching off CS forums I read somewhere a CS Joycelyn did a apprantly simple mod to keep the inbuilt Rocky hopper cool. If I remember correctly it was stated as "rocky grinder has been insulated* from boiler heat transfer resulting in a very cool* bean hopper* a little simple mod i did"*
    Could Joycelyn or any CS member please show me how that is done?
    Many thanks in advance
    Egu

Re: Rancilio Lucy grinder cooling mod

I had a Lucy, and didnt find that the grinder got hot. The boiler isnt in direct contact with the grinder and if you grind on demand anyway the beans wont get warm.

Probably the best mod I did was the stepless mod and putting a wrap of teflon tape around the top burr carrier to stop it wiggling about so much.

Nice machine. Got the most beautiful microfoam out of it. Kinda miss mine.

Thank you for your comments, Lacehim,
    A bit of sigh of relief here. I will try to track a forum about Rocky stepless mod.
    Thanks

Lacehim, I forgot to ask, when you say grind on demand does it mean you feed the hopper with bean quantity only needed for the coffee you are about to make and grind it all and leave no grinds between the burrs? I mean, stop the grind when there are not beans left between the burrs.
    Thanks for your help
    egu

egu,

Yes thats right. basically if you are only grinding what you need, and the hopper will be empty after grinding and therefore the beans wont get hot. :)

The best thing you can do is to gronk her. Lucy doesnt have the element light like Silvia, its a low water light. If you gronk her you can tell when the element is on/off, and achieve more repeatable shots. Also steaming about 120oC gets great steam pressure and the element stays on the whole time.

Just make sure you prime the boiler (fill it by running water out the steam wand) when you first turn her on, and after steaming your milk and youll have no dramas.

Re the grinder mod, heres a piccy of mine. I also had a click clack lid for blowing out the stale ground coffee. Worked well. You can see the tubing, I think it was 4mm garden hose for trickle feed, and I put a small bit of tubing on top of the button to hold it down.

Good luck with it all. Oh and just one tip. Lucy has a water softner in the tank, it can be recharged by running a salt solution though it and then fresh water until the salty taste goes away. If you are going to descale her, take it off. The descaler will damage the water softner.